Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How often do you live fire practice?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

trying to hit some drill time at least once a week.  I dry fire specific drills during that week and then do a live fire day to test the progress.  If those hit the goals i have set then I move on to different dry fire drills.  If not I isolate what needs to be fixed and dry fire it till it shows in live fire.

drills from Ben Stoegers book.

I'm lucky enough to have my range just down the street from my office, so I can sneak out in the morning or at lunch whenever i want.  I've been trying to get in at least 2 live fire sessions a week, with more when possible.

Live fire on Friday and match on Sunday ( when spring comes back around).  When summer comes back around there is a Thursday night practice that a handful of shooters do at a club just up the road from me.  

I never dry fire.  I need to start.  Sometimes I’ll spend 10min dry firing at the range when I live fire. 

Has anyone tried dry-fire practice mags? I just purchased one for my Glock. The pull and break is different than my Zev trigger (of course) and it's also not very comparable to the stock trigger. It's still nice not having to rack the slide after every trigger pull, but I think I may be developing bad habits with this. 

28 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

20 - 30,000 rounds per year ?

What caliber is that ?   One gun, or two ?

Are you a USPSA shooter ?

I am Very Envious    :) 

I shot 24k last year. 9mm in two guns. All hand loaded at about $5.00 per 100 cost. A private range with close to 24/7 access with a flat monthly fee of $80. Been shooting only production and just started CO.

• 8 months later...

I try to do 5 days per week for an hour by getting up at 7am. Schedule it and committing is the best way to get it done.

I just bought a recoil system so I can work on recoil management to make it more realistic.

Edited by telligentgunner

• 3 months later...

On Fridays I go to the club where I am a member and take a whole large bay to myself and set up all kinds of drills. 750+ rounds per week of Major and a couple hundred Minor. This has helped tremendously! I usually get to two to three indoor matches a month and one larger outdoor. 

Wow, many of you get to shoot quite a lot. That's a pipe dream for me. 45 minutes each way to the only range worth going to, and it's open fewer hours than I work on weekdays! I go to live-fire practice once a month, and I'll be shooting a match once a month on the weekend, for a total of shooting twice a month. I dry fire 5-7 times a week for 15-30 minutes.

I try to shoot every day except Sunday for the first few months of the year. Nats in April along with plate matches. Don't shoot local club matches any more. Would rather practice. Working on a new (for me) program and shooting RFPO for the first time this year. 25K plus through 929/ year (around 1K/week till early June) and 2K through the new RF I am working on. (since 1st week of January)

Guess this thread makes me feel very fortunate!

• 3 weeks later...