Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stepping past fault line.

WaJim

So shot an IDPA match yesterday. I have a question.

Hopefully not a completely stupid one.

Its about overrunning a shooting position.

To what degree can a shooter step past a fault line when running to a position. I was told as long as the shooter hadn't engaged the target with a shot and returned to the position then there's no procedural for exposing himself to an un-engaged target.

If this is true then,,,, can a shooter pass a position (P2) expose himself to an un-engaged array and say hit an activator for the next array (P3) and return to the position (P2) that was supposed to be shot and continue.

Now I'm not talking yards of ground covered but lets say its 4 feet from P2 fault line to the activator for P3.

I'm going to say you are going to get a procedural or failure to do right even though you didn't engage a target (fire a shot) you activated a target which technically gives you an unfair advantage on the stage.

JMHOFWIW

Richard 

That's a PE at the very least. You've crossed an opening with unengaged targets.

Generally there is also a stage description to accompany the stage. And unless the stage has multiple options as far as CoF, there will generally be a linear CoF that all shooters will abide by.

Something like starting in the open from SP1, engage targets T1-T3 on the move while advancing to SP2. At SP2, engage  T3-T6. Advance to SP3 and engage T7-T9.

If you were to skip the second array, in this case T3-T6, you would receive a PE or even an FP.

7 hours ago, v1911 said:

That's a PE at the very least. You've crossed an opening with unengaged targets.

Generally there is also a stage description to accompany the stage.

If you were to skip the second array, in this case T3-T6, you would receive a PE or even an FP.

Yeah I shoot mainly USPSA.

There was chatter about this being an option. IIRC there was no " shoot array P1 then P2 then activate swinger and engage P3". in the stage description. So a person could argue he could game it by hitting the activator when he wants....I dunno. The PE makes sense.

With the new rule book(s) I personally wasn't informed enough to make judgement........but I was surprised that this was being discussed.

I wasn't going to do it...I don't mind swingers.