Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uspsa stage ?

Sounds like I need to wear body armor to your next match, Josh

I guess the only complaint might be if it ends up being a test of physical capability, rather than of shooting skill. That will depend on how you set it up (do you need to be young and agile to do it)

Sent from my SCH-I545PP using Tapatalk

Then just set up a stage full of tight hallways - walls very close together - and riddled with ports that each have one or two 3 to 5yd targets in them.

Maximum close quarters gun juggling per easy hoser target.

Kind of a crappy goal, but if that was what I was seeking to challenge, that's how I'd go about it.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Just now, Mulkey said:

In my opinion I don't like PCC and because of it unlimited capacity and virtually zero limitations I'm trying to level the playing field a little bit. 

PCCs only compete with PCCs so the playing field is level by default. 

1 hour ago, Mulkey said:

In my opinion I don't like PCC and because of it unlimited capacity and virtually zero limitations I'm trying to level the playing field a little bit. 

By that logic, you shouldn't like Open shooters either. Since most Stages are no more than 32 rounds there really is no difference between Open and PCC. 

If you look at the 2017 Optic Nationals and hit the overall, the High PCC finished 12th over all. All the other 11 were Open shooters. There were no "traps" for PCC shooters. I don't think that PCC will overtake Open. I would say at 90% of the local matches were they award a high overall with multiple divisions would be an Open shooter. 

You don't like PCC, and I get that. This is a pistol sport, but the fact is a lot of people are shooting it and it's growing faster than carry optic. If this keeps going I wonder if they will have to create a PCC 10 for those certain states?

I still call the guys that shoot pcc my friends but we like to give each other a hard time. When they build stages they like to put in long head shots to make it hard for the pistol shooters. it's still a game and if you can't screw you buddy than why play. 

36 minutes ago, Mulkey said:

I still call the guys that shoot pcc my friends but we like to give each other a hard time. When they build stages they like to put in long head shots to make it hard for the pistol shooters. it's still a game and if you can't screw you buddy than why play. 

Ummm.......... Rather than 'screwing my buddy', I'd rather set up stages that are challenging and fun for everyone, and that help prepare people for what they will see at bigger matches. For example, your local pcc shooters are going to need to learn to shoot off either shoulder, and to safely and quickly manipulate the gun in tight quarters. Setting up stages that test these skills will help them be more successful, and they will also help you be more successful.

it is funny tho that I was just thinking on my dog-walk this morning about a stage where shooters would have to crouch down in a tunnel, and shoot a couple low-port targets on the exit, but because we have some folks who are not particularly athletic, I intended to make it feasible to simply go around a greater distance and skip the tunnel (but still shoot the low-port targets).

2 hours ago, JimmyBob said:

Already known to be not true and examples exist on this forum. 

High overall has prize connotations.

Never heard of such a thing actually happening. Anyone giving a prize to HOA needs a swift kick in the nuts.

40 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

Never heard of such a thing actually happening. Anyone giving a prize to HOA needs a swift kick in the nuts.

Pretty sure he is just talking about bragging rights at the locals.  Some open shooters think its a big deal to get high overall at a local even though they have a large advantage over Limited and even larger over the 10 round divisions.  Add PCC in the mix and they get grumpy as their ability to always win HOA at a local is being challenged.  

I would love to see a way to handicap the divisions, say 18% to Limited, 25% to production etc.

I would label any effort at setting up stages with the sole purpose of disadvantaging any single division to be douchebaggery at its finest...

And, what was mentioned above regarding tight hallways and skinny shooting areas with ports through walls is a great way to challenge PCC shooters. I also agree that weak-hand/shoulder stages provide great challenges. So do unloaded gun starts.

Another option is hard cover since PCC's ALWAYS score MINOR. Removing some of the A zone either slows them down or costs them more points than an Open shooter.

Open is still the Division to beat in any match if you are looking for HOA wins. Big mags, dots, AND Major scoring WITH better maneuverability for the WIN.

(Yes, I shoot PCC)

2 hours ago, wgj3 said:

Open is still the Division to beat in any match if you are looking for HOA wins.

People who care about HOA wins over handicapped divisions should just enter a special olympics shooting match and be super proud of themselves for 'winning'. 

Or better yet, do a real life opposing-force scenario with live ammo, and leave the rest of us alone in our little ponds.

lulz.

Edited by motosapiens

3 hours ago, wgj3 said:

I would label any effort at setting up stages with the sole purpose of disadvantaging any single division to be douchebaggery at its finest...

+1

And if HOA is that important to the shooter, perhaps they should stick with smaller clubs that specialize in helping new shooters.  Plenty of folks there for you to impress.

Last year a match had a duck walk tunnel 10ish ft long with port out both sides.

Im in my 50s with bad hips, knees and back. Literally was IMPOSSIBLE to aim out those ports.  took 2/3 of the total stage time to traverse that tunnel. AND i hit my head othe exit so hard I have no memory of the last 24 shots. 

I would not be a fan of your stage design

Could be you're viewing it the wrong way. You may not be making it worse, you may be making it better.  

When I shot revolver I'd hear that all the time... "Oh man, this stage sucks for you." And I'd be thinking, "No, that's the very reason I'm shooting revolver, because I want this."  (Which is why I gave it up when they went to 8 rounds)

On 4/17/2017 at 9:04 AM, Mulkey said:

At barrel high it might make it difficult for some of our older shooters to get down and then back up. I wanted it to be a disadvantage to the pcc crowd. 

On 4/17/2017 at 10:23 AM, Mulkey said:

If you don't want PPC to shoot your matches don't have that division; just like Area 6 did not have a revolver division.