Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Multiple Stages - 1 Bay

Just getting 3-gun going at my club.  We basically have a rifle range 100 yards wide, 200 yards deep with a narrow cut back to 300 on the left and a berm along the right side and short berms mixed in that space at 25, 50, 75, 100 & 150.  I attached an overhead view from Google Earth in case it helps to get a visual.

Wondering if anyone tries to run multiple stages on a range like this that could offer advice on how to make best use of the space.

So far I'm  keeping my stages mostly horizontal and setting 2 at a time and swapping out for 2 more afternoon stages.

Birds Eye View of Range.JPG

For major pistol matches we often run multiple stages on the same large bay. For safety, we place one or more dumpsters or conex containers between each stage, and restrict downrange movement. Obviously this limits the scope of the stages in the multigun context.

Make sure the stages are separated enough that the timer on one stage is not picking up the shots from the adjacent stage, which can be more problematic with rifle.

As an alternative, you could build two stages and run them alternately with no barrier between. In this case, I would suggest short range (e.g. pistol/shotgun) on one side, and long range (e.g. rifle) on the other side with shooting positions downrange of the first stage and self-resetting targets; shoot the short range stage first, then score and reset while shooting the long range stage. Two squads, then switch.

With a little thought, it can be done. Just don't be over ambitious until you have a feel for shooter throughput.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

We shoot a local 5-stage match within 1 big bay with 2-squads. 2 stages against the right side berm, 2 stages against the left and 1 common stage against the back berm. These are not huge stages, and movement is more lateral. Each squad shoots their 2-stages then we all shoot the common stage together at the end when it is safe. This stage is usually a large steel setup with a few paper targets. More speed shooting and accuracy. It is a fun match with about 30 shooters and around 150 rounds.

gerritm