Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case prep help

Triemferent

I recently joined the reloading world by picking up a Dillon 650 and have pulled the handle on about 1k of 9mm rounds.  I think Im starting to get the hang of things and considering moving up to rifle rounds (223 and 308).  I wont be starting this adventure right away but Id like to start gathering the necessary tools for reloading rifle.  So Im looking for suggestions on what to buy for the case prep process.  I have a wet tumbler but I need recommendations on a swager, trimmer, deburring, etc .....  Im trying to take the "buy once, cry once" route so I dont mind opening up my wallet if its going to streamline/simplify things.  So what are the must have tools I should get and tools you wish you had bought when you first started?

I really like trimming to length off the press. I have used both the bench type and the drill type and don't find one better than the other.

Doug Giraud makes some great trimmers and the big boy is the way to go if you have multiple calibers. His Tri-Way Trimmer is the best drill mounted one on the market.

There is no easy way to swage.  Cutting the crimp out with a cutter is just as good. 

You certainly want separate tool heads ; one for prep and one to load on.

• 2 weeks later...

As the above posters have stated having 2 separate tool heads is the way to go. I have my case prep tool head set up and then my reloading tool head. I used to use a Giraud for trimming/chamfer/debur and when I purchased my 650 I sold that on got the Dillon case trimmer. It's much quicker, and having to handle the cases less is a big time saver. I swage on a single stage press and use the RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo 2. It's a bit time consuming but I know for sure my primers will seat every time, something that I had an issue with when I was cutting the primer pockets out. 

Dillion 650 makes easy work of brass prep.

Brass prep tool head.
Station 1: Dillon resizer/deprimer
Station 2: empty
Station 3: Dillon Trimmer
Station 4: empty
Station 5: Lyman M expander

Then a Swage It mounted to the press and run the brass through once.

Clean lube off of brass and then place loading tool head in.

Station 1: empty
Station 2: powder drop
Station 3: powder check system
Station 4: seating die
Station 5: crimp die

I load all of my .223 loads this way and I have dumbed it down and taken every step possible out I believe to make it the quietest and easiest.

The Swage It 650 is a worthwhile investment. Swaying brass was the one step that took forever to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, gixxerjunky said:

Dillion 650 makes easy work of brass prep.

Brass prep tool head.
Station 1: Dillon resizer/deprimer
Station 2: empty
Station 3: Dillon Trimmer
Station 4: empty
Station 5: Lyman M expander

Then a Swage It mounted to the press and run the brass through once.

Clean lube off of brass and then place loading tool head in.

Station 1: empty
Station 2: powder drop
Station 3: powder check system
Station 4: seating die
Station 5: crimp die

I load all of my .223 loads this way and I have dumbed it down and taken every step possible out I believe to make it the quietest and easiest.

The Swage It 650 is a worthwhile investment. Swaying brass was the one step that took forever to me.

My only issue with the Swage It, is the fact that it voids the warranty on the 650 if its used. I would much rather keep the warranty on the press and find another way to swage brass.

Thanks for all the posts so far.  Just wondering why people dont install the swage it on station 2 before you trim it  

I should have clarified. I install the Swage It before I do anything else and then run the brass through the prep tool head.

• 4 weeks later...

Man this thing saved me a ton of trouble swaging.  A lot of people think there is now way to swage easily.  But if you google 'Swage it" this will save  you tons of trouble.  All you do is replace you primer punch (2 screws), and away you go with progressive swaging.

Just realized people have already told ya about this.

Edited by Jts2581

• 2 weeks later...

i agree with the trimming aspect..... it sucks ---- i tried to be cheap and get the lee zip trim for trimming brass, probably did about 1000 that way (308) before i bought a Giraud Tri way (the one that fits on your drill)  i had been drooling over his desk top model, and one day went to his site and there they were... best dam 100bux i have spent in all of my reloading tools.  hands down............keep in mind it measures the length off of the neck of your resized brass,  so its best to keep that consistent, and if you want to measure that you'll need something like the hornady comparator gauges.  

so then i started loading 223.... and bought the little crow drill mounted one, figured it would be just as good........... its not bad..... but for a few bucks more Giraud is king !!!

i agree with the trimming aspect..... it sucks ---- i tried to be cheap and get the lee zip trim for trimming brass, probably did about 1000 that way (308) before i bought a Giraud Tri way (the one that fits on your drill)  i had been drooling over his desk top model, and one day went to his site and there they were... best dam 100bux i have spent in all of my reloading tools.  hands down............keep in mind it measures the length off of the neck of your resized brass,  so its best to keep that consistent, and if you want to measure that you'll need something like the hornady comparator gauges.  

so then i started loading 223.... and bought the little crow drill mounted one, figured it would be just as good........... its not bad..... but for a few bucks more Giraud is king !!!

I have trimmed about 1700 pieces of 223 on my LE Wilson trimmer in the last 2 weeks, it's super consistent but that powered Giraud looks mighty tempting. Will see how long I can put it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro