Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top 3 pistol powders

calebj06

Well I am old... sometimes accused of being pretty dirty... and I have been with a few that became unavailable so I too moved on...   :)

So I guess I can understand the lack of love for it.   But if it is good for light loads then I guess I will continue to use it outdoors at least.

Thanks for the response

Edited by xpierrat

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

N320 for 9mm Minor and 45 Major - anything faster than that has so little margin for error that it makes me nervous.

To get 9mm/357 bullets to Major, I go to the slow burning Vihtavuori pistol numbers.

Vihtavuori availability is good in my corner of the world, so that certainly affects my choice.

19 minutes ago, xpierrat said:

From the burn charts Bullseye is in the top three or so on burn speed... in what way are you talking about little margin for error?  Trying to learn here

Thanks

Usually, with a fast burning powder, you can double charge a case, as it is generally more dense than a slower burning powder. Even with a slightly increased charge than normal, your pressure can go up exponentially,  causing a kaboom. 

11 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

Usually, with a fast burning powder, you can double charge a case, as it is generally more dense than a slower burning powder. Even with a slightly increased charge than normal, your pressure can go up exponentially,  causing a kaboom. 

8 minutes ago, Ken6PPC said:

Most pistol powders will cause a KB with a double charge!  

And solid reloading practices will all but eliminate these concerns. I think powder selection should be based on its performance, not on fears of screwing up at the Reloading bench.

Just now, Sarge said:

And solid reloading practices will all but eliminate these concerns. I think powder selection should be based on its performance, not on fears of screwing up at the Reloading bench.

Agree 100%!  

With the very fast powders, you don't need a double charge to make things more interesting than you like. As GrumpyOne says, pretty minor errors in measuring can push your pressures through the roof. There's people who weigh every charge when using N310 and similar.

15 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Absolutely agree, but for someone just learning to reload, and is already unsure of the process, why take that chance? As you said, "solid reloading practice"...who has that just starting out? 

Say they got the charge 100% correct, but their cases are not sized quite right. Bullet setback during the chambering process can also cause the kaboom, even though the cartridge, before loading in the gun, was the perfect charge and OAL.

Until that reloading process is damn near foolproof, I suggest new reloaders to stick with safer alternatives.  Once they have the process down, then they can get more experimental. 

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:47 AM, Sarge said:

100% agree. I know that most people claim a Dillon 550 should be a good first press, but on a 650 with auto indexing it is darn near impossible to get a double, and if you install a light or powder sensor in there it makes it even harder. Even when I first thought about reloading, powder choice based on case volume was never even on my radar.

BTW shot Sport Pistol at a match yesterday and had zero issues. Cleaner for sure than HP38 and possibly a bit better than Titegroup but so far I am only going by what I see on the feedramp and other chamber area visable during the clear and holster command. Will know more later when I do a field strip and wipe the parts down.

Guys,

I am solve for titegroup for 9mm minor with 147g of bullet.

HOW ABOUT THE BEST POWDER FOR 9MM MAJOR? I got HS-6 but i need your opinions as I am just starting to reload.

Thanks
I've used HS6 in 38 super major without any issues, I really like it. I'm using it for 9 minor currently. 9 and 38 I use Xtreme 135 projectiles.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

On 9/7/2017 at 9:26 PM, Beef15 said:

It's old.

It has a reputation for being very dirty, I agree with really light charges.

It was pretty much unavailable for three years so many moved on.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

When I think of a dirty powder I think of one that doesn't burn completely. Giving the charge an inconsistent burning [and velocity] from charge to charge. I have experience with Bullseye and Unique. Both use graphite as a filler. To give the charge more bulk. Even though they are both consistent in velocity they are dirty as hell with all that graphite. I walk away from the range looking like I've been working all day. The above is why I use Solo 1000.