Top 3 pistol powders

calebj06

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WSF has been fantastic, and runs clean. Titegroup works but I've found it to be very dirty. I've used various Vhitavouri powders and they were great, very clean, but also expensive. I believe WSF is the best bang for your buck, literally. 

Just for grins, and because I like to see things represented as diagrams/graphics, I tallied everyone's response into Excel and graphed it.  It isnt very scientific, but gives a good picture of the powders preferred.  Hope this helps some.

Powder.JPG

Edited by GregJ

• 3 months later...
On 5/3/2017 at 0:31 PM, GregJ said:

Just for grins, and because I like to see things represented as diagrams/graphics, I tallied everyone's response into Excel and graphed it.  It isnt very scientific, but gives a good picture of the powders preferred.  Hope this helps some.

Powder.JPG

WOW! Now that blows me away. It looks like Tite group is the favorite. Is it clean and consistent like solo 1000. 

2 hours ago, Ray_Z said:

WOW! Now that blows me away. It looks like Tite group is the favorite. Is it clean and consistent like solo 1000. 

Everything I've read says it's dirty and burns hot.   Probably a favorite cause it's relatively cheap, available, meters well, and burns pretty consistent.

6 minutes ago, GregJ said:

Everything I've read says it's dirty and burns hot.   Probably a favorite cause it's relatively cheap, available, meters well, and burns pretty consistent.

I think TG is way too snappy and loud.  One of the guys I shoot with loves it.  YMMV as they say.

I will start reloading but base on what i am hearing, reading and being use of some experienced shooter they are using:

Titegroup (minor load) in 9mm/40

HS-6 (major load) in 9mm/40

Please correct me or add more for additional information.

Red dot - very soft and pretty quiet

Titegroup & Bullseye one or the other is always availible, meter well, work well in a lot of calibers, maybe a little dirty.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Titegroup is what I've been using. It isn't dirty in and around the barrel for me, maybe a bit on the lower but nothing a quick cotton swab can't clean up. I found a PDF a few weeks ago that has burn rates. I can't attest to the accuracy of it independently, but could help give you an idea since people generally are looking for a fast/medium/slow burn rates for x/y/z application. 

Burn Rates - 2015-2016.pdf

On 8/9/2017 at 7:26 AM, jhgtyre said:

I think TG is way too snappy and loud.  One of the guys I shoot with loves it.  YMMV as they say.

If using with lighter bullets like 115's, yeah, for sure.  But for fat slow bullets like 147's, a fast burning powder creates a very low recoil impulse.  On my M&P Pro 5", 3.1gr of TG with 147s makes the cases dribble out the side of the gun.  Its so low a recoil impulse if you limp wrist the gun, it will cause a FTE/FTF problem.  

Interesting results (thanks for the graph Greg) which seem to highlight perceived value compared to benefit.

Interested to see survey results if this were conducted next season, considering there's several new'ish powders on the market, targeted towards action pistol shooters.  Also curious if similar results would apply to major PF reloaders, as many of the powders also are used for major PF.

Edited by muncie21

For 9mm

Titegroup as it is cleaner than HP38

HP38 cause I got a ton and it is cheap

N320 cause I was told it was good and it is similar to TG but foreign and double the cost so it must be better. ;)

Just bought some Sport Pistol last night so may load up some new ones and shoot them this weekend. Just want to find something that doesn't make my feed ramp look like it has a huge thick layer of carbon on it after 200 rounds. In that arena the TG was by far better than the HP38. (and felt good under 147s)

Guys,

I am solve for titegroup for 9mm minor with 147g of bullet.

HOW ABOUT THE BEST POWDER FOR 9MM MAJOR? I got HS-6 but i need your opinions as I am just starting to reload.

Thanks

59 minutes ago, Orbit said:

Guys,

I am solve for titegroup for 9mm minor with 147g of bullet.

HOW ABOUT THE BEST POWDER FOR 9MM MAJOR? I got HS-6 but i need your opinions as I am just starting to reload.

Thanks

some of the ones I know are silhouette and Winchester auto comp

• 3 weeks later...

Okay I only see Bullseye mentioned a couple of times... It is a very fast powder ( according to several burn charts ) and I would think would work very well with 147's  what are its downsides since it does not seem to get much love

Okay I only see Bullseye mentioned a couple of times... It is a very fast powder ( according to several burn charts ) and I would think would work very well with 147's  what are its downsides since it does not seem to get much love

It's old.

It has a reputation for being very dirty, I agree with really light charges.

It was pretty much unavailable for three years so many moved on.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk