Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 primer help

If you will provide some additional information (other than the photo) about what you are experiencing, it will be easier to offer some suggestions.

Question: Is the primer being seated into the case...and then it falls out before the case is rotated to Station 2?

If so, it is possible that some of your cases have a primer recess that is worn and over-sized. In such cases, the primer will not be securely seated and will fall out--usually onto the primer track as shown in your photo.

7 hours ago, Canman said:

I clean regularly and use compressed air to blow it out between cleaning. Put a new plastic tip on the primer tube and a new plate the the primer slide rides on.

Do you clean primer  bearing plate, bottom of primer bar, with scotch pad, any contact points with primer bar. When disassembled 

if both of these are not clean or de blurred/slightly polished....  You can get a stutter That will throw a primer

i have this.     http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-550B-Primer-Track-Bearing-Plate-W-Ball-Bearing-4th-Generation-SALE-/231783630462 

If the primer seating punch and cup are higher than factory specs, this can happen. Remove the primer slide from the machine, then measure from the top of the primer cup to the underside of the primer slide. This should measure anywhere between 1.215"-1.220". If too tall, then use a clamp or vise to reseat the punch and hold it down while you retighten the set screw.

The other possibility is that the primer slide is not coming back quite far enough. The common cause for this is the operating rod bracket (#13887) has slid up the primer shield tube. The lower front edge of this block should be within .002"-.004" from touching the frame of the machine. If too tall, loosen the clamp screw and slide the block down, and use a sheet of paper as a gapping tool. Be sure the block is square before tightening the clamp screw.

On 4/10/2017 at 0:09 PM, dillon said:

If the primer seating punch and cup are higher than factory specs, this can happen. Remove the primer slide from the machine, then measure from the top of the primer cup to the underside of the primer slide. This should measure anywhere between 1.215"-1.220". If too tall, then use a clamp or vise to reseat the punch and hold it down while you retighten the set screw.

The other possibility is that the primer slide is not coming back quite far enough. The common cause for this is the operating rod bracket (#13887) has slid up the primer shield tube. The lower front edge of this block should be within .002"-.004" from touching the frame of the machine. If too tall, loosen the clamp screw and slide the block down, and use a sheet of paper as a gapping tool. Be sure the block is square before tightening the clamp screw.

Thank You

I have tripled checked everything and never thought of looking at the bracket. It had moved up the primer shield over half a inch!

Moved it back to spec and I'm back in business!

Thank You again

Semper Fi

• 2 weeks later...

My primer feed problem is back with a vengeance!

I have pics and a video but it won't let me upload?

The primer cup is not lining up directly under the primer tube. It's offset just enough where the primer won't fall into the cup and when I move the primer slide forward the primer goes anywhere but in the cup.

I can undo the spring and rod. Move the primer slide manually with the same results.

With the primer slide all the way back I have to push the back of slide to the right to get the primer to fall into the cup.

Edited by Canman

550 Priming Assembly Adjustment Notes:

• Thoroughly polish frame, wherever priming slide touches it, with green Scotch Brite. (Approx. every 3000 rounds)  
  • Wipe off Primer Slide with solvent or alcohol. Leave it all dry.
  • At rest primer slide adjustment: Set so that one primer, dropped down the tube, goes all the way into the Primer Seating Cup, 10 times in a row.
  • Angle of Primer Slide Operating Rod (13869) - Release rod from rollers and swivel it 180º so it's pointing straight up - it should be parallel with the Primer Housing Shield, or maybe outward "a little"; it should not be "inward" at all.
  • Be sure both screws (14530) that tighten Roller Bracket Shell Platform (14280) from bottom (to the Shellplate Platform) are tight!
  • Make sure Priming Seating Punch Assembly is fully bottomed out before tightening screw (13996): Measured from bottom of Primer Slide (13920) to top of seated Primer Seating Cup (13284/5), dimension should be between 1.215 - 1.220 inches.
  • Be sure Priming Operating Rod Bracket (13887) is adjusted so it's within a few thousands of an inch from the top of frame/Toplhead.
  • Be sure the plastic tips of all your Primer Pickup Tubes and the plastic tip on the bottom of the Priming Magazine are seated fully against the tubes.
  • Grease the short end of the op-rod where it inserts into the bracket clamped around the primer shield.