Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Portable Action Pistol Range

JSC

My brother and I decide we want to start shooting more.   I shot a few action pistol matches in Pensacola Florida when I was a young knucklehead flight student, so perfect discipline to start with.  Problem number one, the closest match is 200 miles away in Tallahassee.  From 2014 until the Crawfish Cup in 2015, we drove over every weekend.  They have a great range with a cable mover, but no turning targets.  We both attended the Crawfish Cup/bath in 2015 and wet our pants with the turning targets.  It would seem we might have been favoring the buzzer a bit to much at our normal monthly matches.  I think my brother was cheating more, but not good either way.  We started working on better equipment after the Cup in 2015 and as a result we are now solidly mediocre in the score department.  To tell you how bad our sickness has become, we started driving 6 hours each way to Lake Charles to shoot with George and the gang pretty much every month.  But we really needed a way to practice and not just go shooting at the local range.  So when George wasn't looking we copied every thing we could and then stole and much as possible to build our own stages.  The only range available in Pensacola, that will allow you to draw from a holster, would also require us to bring our own junk each time.  So we started with a jet ski trailer and build the plate rack.  Next in line was the barricade and it bolts to the trailer.  Obviously we hadn't pissed away enough money yet, so next on the list was a turner.  It also attaches to the trailer and we can set it up in about 10 minutes.  Not sure if our score are getting any better, but no one can waste ammo like we can now!  The mover is next, anyone have any great ideas? 

trailer.jpg

barricade.jpg

turner.jpg

plates.jpg

Edited by JSC

Secure Firearm Products has a single rail mover that can be taken down and set up fairly quickly.  They also can quote you on one made from Alum.

7 minutes ago, ffl said:

Secure Firearm Products has a single rail mover that can be taken down and set up fairly quickly.  They also can quote you on one made from Alum.

Yikes, $6,000.  If the op comes up with a cheapish way to make one please post how.

17 hours ago, Toolguy said:

You could set up a target on a R/C dunebuggy...

You joke Warren, but I thought about that!  My first mover I made was a mini-mover on a garage door opener with a remote control.  The opener broke and I tossed it.  My next plan was a spring-loaded assembly with a brake on it, but I never really got it worked out.  Now I'm working on a VFD-controlled cable mover.

I have a overhead wire mover that is portable designed.  I have been working on the drive electronics for a while.  I wanted it to be able to be programmed for different speeds and cable lengths for use in USPSA, ICORE, or IDPA as well as a NRA AP Mover.

Anyone interested?

1 hour ago, ffl said:

I have a overhead wire mover that is portable designed.  I have been working on the drive electronics for a while.  I wanted it to be able to be programmed for different speeds and cable lengths for use in USPSA, ICORE, or IDPA as well as a NRA AP Mover.

Anyone interested?

I am David. Is it functional as-is for AP?  PM me a price and maybe we can work something out.

I really like the action target cable mover.  I put permanent posts up at my range and can set up and take down in about 10 minutes.  I also rewired the control box to use a foot switch so I can practice by myself

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 0:30 PM, RippinSVT said:

I am David. Is it functional as-is for AP?  PM me a price and maybe we can work something out.

Our old overhead mover could be for sale. we upgraded to a four-rail Track Mover from Secure Firearm Products. Our overhead was set up with timers and could be operated by the shooter. Are you coming to the Crawfish Cup?

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 3:34 PM, Pasley said:

Yikes, $6,000.  If the op comes up with a cheapish way to make one please post how.

When I assembled our four-rail Track Mover, all I could think of was how glad I was I didn't try to figure all the details out through trial and error! It is worth every penny!

9 hours ago, Action Pistolero said:

I know you're joking but Vance Schmid had his wife pull a target with a rope so he could practice the mover.

Now, that's the definition of a "Good Wife".

Hope he has a 2nd waiting in the wings, just in case.    :P

On 4/7/2017 at 7:54 PM, DeadeyeGeorge said:

Our old overhead mover could be for sale. we upgraded to a four-rail Track Mover from Secure Firearm Products. Our overhead was set up with timers and could be operated by the shooter. Are you coming to the Crawfish Cup?

I'll be there George. We'll talk.

-Kyle W

Edited by RippinSVT

3 minutes ago, DeadeyeGeorge said:

Let's do that, Kyle. I responded before I knew it was you. I should be able to help you get set up with either one, two or four motors. Our overhead mover was very reliable for over twenty years. We even had a wireless remote control.

Sounds good. Thanks George.