Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon XL650 switch from 9mm to 38SC

jakfrost1

Hi all, been shooting 9mm major for awhile now and thinking I would like to try .38 Super Comp but wondering what am I up against to switch my XL650 over to the Super Comp. 

I'm making the following assumptions, my Dillon Case Feeder should work, I'll need a new die set or at least a new sizing die, ( no taper on the .38SC case...), the pins and plate should be OK, ( again assumption on my part ), and of course primer feed, etc, should be the same, my Mr. Bullet Feeder ( the cheap one from Double Alpha ) should work fine since I guess I can use the same bullets, Zero 125 JHP's, So, what am I missing? Can it really be just a sizing die change? 

Jim

Edited by jakfrost1

Possibly the shell plate (might need to use the one for .223). 

I shoot 9mm and 38 super and don't make any change except for the tool head, and I use dies specific for each caliber (9mm for 9mm and 38 super for 38 super).  When I loaded for 38 super comp I'd get some cases pulling out of the shell plate on the sizing station.  Some don't have this problem, so you may want to try first and then decide if you want the .223 shell plate. 

Definitely use the .223 shellplate (#3).

The 9mm plate tears up your SC brass depending on how much lube & resizing is in play.

A big side benefit is that 38S and 9mm brass will not fit (without forcing), so none should slip by :) 

You will also need to change the station 1 locator. for 9mm and 38 super its the same but for 38 SC its a little different.  It's a little smaller and will the hold the brass better.  This will also help in case a 38 super case gets in the mix of your super comp.  The 38 super will not fit on the Super comp locator so you will know that something is wrong when it gets stuck.

I use:

9mm station 1

9mm shell plate

9mm buttons

9mm case feed parts 

the only thing I change is the tool head. 

Ive loaded many thousands of super comp this way and switch back to 9mm as needed just by swapping tool heads. 

The easiest but still affordable option would be:

lee 4 die 38 super die set

Dillon toolhead

mr bf feed die body (body only, it's only $12)

Add a Dillon powder die and swap the powder measure or if you want a full tool head buy the lee auto drum measure (it's awesome btw and cheap)

Then you just swap the mr bf tube and insert (one pin and one set screw) when changing over. Super easy. Takes about 2 min.