Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Can Mental Training Help You ?

mikecoulson

The past can't be changed. Your decision to forget it and move on is essential to future performance. The old saying goes something like, "If you think you can't, you can't."

To dwell on even 1 bad shot, and spend the rest of the match (or training session or whatever) beating yourself up for it is the best way to insure loss of concentration, deviation from your plan, loss of smooth thought, broken concentration, etc in the near future. The far future also, if that is your mindset.

From what I have learned about this subject, one should prepare the conscious mind in training (mechanics, technique, etc.) as well as the subconscious mind. I have read that one should spend 60% or more practicing in the subconscious mind. Put it this way. If you practice in the conscious mind 100%, how will your subconscious mind take control at a match? Same in anything we do, whether it be piano, martial arts, golf, shooting, etc. We must prepare the mind to "let go" of the (slower) conscious thought to allow our training to manifest itself for top performance.

Have you ever done something physical and when it was completed to perfection, thought, "man, that was perfect! I don't remember how I did it. It came from inside somewhere. Wish I could do that on demand!" Or something similar.

That's the subconscious taking over through training and repetition, when we learn how to let it go.

Forget the (bad) past. Remember the things that move your mind into where you want it to be. Things done right. Perfect shots. Perfect runs. Perfect transitions. Always looking forward.

Another old saying goes, "No man, looking backward, can plow a straight furrow" Makes sense...

IMHO

• 7 months later...