Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So, I shot a friend's tanfo...

Stealsack

I shot a friend's Tanfo at the range the other day, and I can't get the feeling of the grip out of my head!

I have never, ever, had a gun fit my (large-ish) hands so well.

I currently shoot a 2011 in USPSA limited and for steel.

But, um... I really want a tanfo now.  Not that it will make me a better shooter, but the look and more importantly the FEEL of the gun is really compelling.

I have read a bunch of posts on here and elsewhere to try to familiarize myself with the various models, but I'm still a little confused.

I think I want a Witness Elite limited.  Or should it be the Witness Limited Custom, or the Witness Limited Custom Xtreme?

I dunno, EAA has so little info on their website.  

It also seems reasonably difficult to find these guns.

If I find a Limited Custom, what should I expect to have to add to the gun to have a great trigger?

Should I buy the gun new, or wait for a used gun?

I have read a fair bit about magazine issues, they were older posts.  Is there "the magazine" that I need to buy?

On the EAA site, the Custom looks like it has a fiber front sight (missing the fiber in the photo), and the Elite looks like a standard fixed sight.  How hard to change the front sight on the Elite?

EAA seems universally hated for customer support, big deal or does everyone just rely on Henning to sort out issues?

Am I crazy for considering this as a possible replacement for my current STI?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

If the goal is a single action gun, the Limited is probably the one. 

The EXTREME versions are pretty, but expensive for what you get.

A decent polish and reduced power trigger return spring and sear sping are all you need.  In my opinion, Patriot Defense has the best bits out there. Call them and see.

I've owned a 2011 (STI Edge) before and I prefer the ergos of the tanfo's more. It's nice because I have the Limited Custom Xtreme for limited and a Stock 2 for production/multi-gun. They have the exact same ergo's and I can cover at least 3 disciplines with one pistol. Don't think there's any other steel framed hammer fired pistol's with the exact same ergo's out there. Yea, you can use a (insert favorite plastic striker fired pistol) for limited, production and multi-gun, but where's the fun in that!

To help break it down from what I've gathered over the time:

Witness Elite limited - your basic limited single action only gun. Sort of like a bone stock STI Edge

Witness Limited Custom - (these are new at shotshow this year) Seems like a Witness Elite Limited with some slide milling, not sure what the internals are

Witness Limited Custom Xtreme - Factory modified Witness Elite Limited with milled slide, some different internals, trigger grips, more mags w/ basepads, etc. This would be similar to STI's DVC Limited.

My 4 factory Mecgar mags have been flawless. I bought 4 more mags from here and they've ran like a champ. They all wear 140mm Henning Large frame basepads

Front sights are super easy to replace. Just one hex screw and tap the sight out the front. Install is just the reverse.

My Limited Custom Xtreme is bone stock, I feel the trigger is pretty darned good as is. I haven't even polished anything. Perhaps I got a good one from the factory? I felt it was worth the additional cost for the milled slide, ceramic coating, extra mags with basepads (which I put onto my Stock 2 mags for Production, 4 less basepads for me to buy). 

I haven't had to deal with customer support, so I don't know how they are in that aspect.

Edited by tt350z

Henning makes good base pads and so does taylor freelance.  a buddy uses Henning, i use TF.  Henning is slightly more $, but tool less take down. TF needs an Allen wrench. Not a big deal to me. Both companies make top notch stuff.

Grams guts are needed to maximize.

I have a match xtreme in 9mm, they do make it in .40 but I have not seen one for sale ever.  The Limited elite, or limited xtreme would be good choices. The elite is less money up front but more parts needed than the xtreme. 

I use mine for 3gun and steel challenge. I have a Dawson FO front sight, Henning Magwell and EGD grips, PD sear, FP, and trigger return springs.

I polished all the pins and holes.  I spent a good bit of time on the plunger assembly to remove the zipper feel.  Very happy with my choice. The custom shop clearly polished up the sear and some other areas, not any better than I would have done but, at least it was evident that someone attempted to tune the gun.  I like the lightened slide with the 6 inch barrel and i am happy with the delta hammer. I have a fully set up S3 for comparison and the reset is the same in SA for both, the match xtreme has a bit more pre-travel but that is because I put it there.  The SA pull is lighter on the Match Xtreme than the S3

I have some Henning basepads and Grams guts on order.  Only other item needed is a trip to PD to have the barrel reamed.

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:10 PM, v1911 said:

Wouldn't just buying an SVI Signature/ PT Evo grip be a better solution?

They replicate the shape of a Tanfo, right?

This was my thought also.  IF you already shoot a 2011 change the grip and go back to it.  Changing guns means starting back from square one on equipment, loads, etc...

Thanks everyone!

Nice breakdown tt350z.

I expected the Xtreme was how everyone describes, but I want to be sure that I wouldn't be missing anything if I go with the elite and polish/kit it up.

@v1911 I didn't know that SVI grips were like the Tanfos.  I don't know anyone with an SVI, but I'll keep my eyes open at matches. If it feels like the gun I shot, it would be an easy fix.  Of course I always like the excuse to buy a new gun, so I may have to do both!

Nice gun zx9rt1!  What thumb rest are you using?  I just had a custom one made for my 2011.  I love it!  I also like Berry's, I shoot the .40 in 180gn.

Intel6: I didn't know there was a Tanfo like grip out there for the 2011, I'll check it out.  I'm aware that it would be some work either way, but the feel of that grip felt so very right it may well be worth it.  If not, then I'll just keep shooting the STI :-)

I think its the SVI signature grip you want to be similar to the tanfogs. It's really undercut at the back under the beavertail compared to an STI.

Here is mine. The problem is then wanting it on all your guns. :(

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r3/dansedgli/Mobile Uploads/20160714_143053_zpszcaotnwk.jpg

Edited by dansedgli

49 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

I think its the SVI signature grip you want to be similar to the tanfogs. It's really undercut at the back under the beavertail compared to an STI.

Here is mine. The problem is then wanting it on all your guns. :(

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r3/dansedgli/Mobile Uploads/20160714_143053_zpszcaotnwk.jpg

You don't need to have SVI build you a gun just to get a signature grip. Just order the grip itself.

According to posts on a different forum, the grip fitted and all the bits and bobs, runs about $1000.

So I can buy a Tanfo elite for very little more than the cost of changing my 2011.  Well, except for mags, holster, and parts for the tanfo...

Does it still make sense to you Tanfo guys to change the grip?