Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will ammobot case extraction unit work w/Mark 7?

https://www.ammobot.us/products/ammobot-case-extraction-unit

I'm NOT an electonics guy... I am, however, semi-mechanically inclined (I still have all my fingers and toes, despite my best efforts over the years)...

So...does anyone know if this can easily be made to work with the Mark 7?

This would be amazing for processing .45acp large primer vs small primer...

Thanks in advance

Dang that went from cheap prototype to ungodly expensive in a flash... here's an earlier version...

I can't say for sure, but the guy that originally came up with it actually had a video and used part of a ball point pen as the flipper - i  *think* autobot bought the design from him as there was some comments back and forth on the page, but the video is long gone - I suspect they may have asked him to take it down as part of the deal.  (Pure conjecture on my part, but makes sense).

But, sorry no idea about making it work with a Mark 7.. I'm plugging along with my ghetto PW1200 :).

18 hours ago, rmantoo said:

https://www.ammobot.us/products/ammobot-case-extraction-unit

I'm NOT an electonics guy... I am, however, semi-mechanically inclined (I still have all my fingers and toes, despite my best efforts over the years)...

So...does anyone know if this can easily be made to work with the Mark 7?

This would be amazing for processing .45acp large primer vs small primer...

Thanks in advance

The Case Extraction system is a patent pending product produced by AmmoBot LLC for use only with AmmoBot Rev2 (or newer when the time comes) auto drive systems.  You are correct, however, as it works amazingly well for separating small primer 45 ACP and 45 GAP cases from large primer cases while processing without the need to manually remove the cases.  It is very consistent as well.  You can just put a small 6" bucket next to the machine and it will just toss the rejected cases right into it.

I can't say for sure, but the guy that originally came up with it actually had a video and used part of a ball point pen as the flipper - i  *think* autobot bought the design from him as there was some comments back and forth on the page, but the video is long gone - I suspect they may have asked him to take it down as part of the deal.  (Pure conjecture on my part, but makes sense).

No, I didn't even get a pat on the back for comming up with the idea.

Edited by jmorris

On 4/5/2017 at 9:17 PM, jmorris said:

Oh man that is a shame, I remember the video thinking this is crazy awesome, and I though there were some comments from a company asking about buying design - now I see it was not ammobot, but still.

Great idea coming up with this though.  Maybe you could put together some kits or plans and sell them on ebay or the various boards - I bet you would get a lot of takers - I would be one :).

Then no patent... prior art. That's pretty poor on Ammobot's part if they took the design from your video.

The good news, talk to MarkVII!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with that wholeheartedly. Ammobot is in fact trying to patent their whole auto drive. Though they claim the case ejection is patented it doesn't show up in any patent search I've done (it's possible it's there as searching is a bit of a dark art). In their main patent your case extraction video is cited as potential prior art. 

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, LostWorm said:

It is covered under US Patent 9,664,488

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=9,664,488.PN.&OS=PN/9,664,488&RS=PN/9,664,488

An automatic ammunition reloading system includes an actuation assembly in communication with a control system. The actuation assembly is joined to a reloading press by attaching to a control lever of the ammunition press so as to put the reloading press in operative relation with the actuation assembly. The control system receives input from a control lever position sensor to sense an extremity position of the control lever and to determine an actuation distance of the control lever for a full stroke of the reloading press. The control system controls operation of the actuation assembly so as to oscillate the control lever through the actuation distance.

Doesn't mention my SPP detection/ejection device but in "other references" my computer controlled 1050 video is cited.  He must have received his patent because his position sensor is off the control lever where I had mine mounted to sense tool head position.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder why they bothered? mk7 already have their patent (and an earlier priority date) and this particular patent is easily worked around. Given it's not going to deliver them exclusivity over the 1050 automation market I wonder why they'd bother? They certainly didn't invent 1050 automation, nor even 1050 chain driven automation. They may be the only firm doing 1050 automation where the lever is retained but most people just wonder 'why?'.

6 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

I wonder why they bothered? mk7 already have their patent (and an earlier priority date) and this particular patent is easily worked around. Given it's not going to deliver them exclusivity over the 1050 automation market I wonder why they'd bother? They certainly didn't invent 1050 automation, nor even 1050 chain driven automation. They may be the only firm doing 1050 automation where the lever is retained but most people just wonder 'why?'.

You should check that priority date again.

I may have misread. trolling through patent searches is bad enough when I'm doing it for work. this was a passing interest so I'm willing to take your word for it.

Having re-read my post I can see it sounds a bit negative. I didn't mean to pooh pooh your product. I was just thinking out loud. I didn't understand why you'd bother to patent? As I pointed out it won't sew up the 1050 automation market the way it's written. I guess my point was why patent at all? Just do what you guys do: make and sell press automation.

I think you guys have a fairly sound product that sits at a price point that makes it an attractive option for many.

With so much prior art in reloading press automation space I just wouldn't bother with trying to protect my IP that way. 

I do wish you guys all the best. :)