Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When to upgrade to a new gun?

AzNooB

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my take:

I started USPSA a couple of years ago, shooting in just a very few matches (1x/year) -- basically at the encouragement of my brother.  At the time, I was using my EDC, which is an XDM 3.8" Compact in .40.  Last year, I shot a few more matches, enough to know I wanted to shoot more.  However, I felt as though my gun was holding me back in the division I wanted to shoot (Limited).  Short sight radius, heavy trigger, limited upgrade options, etc...I felt the gun was holding me back, in addition to my lack of skills.

I made up my mind (at the time) that I wanted to go "all in" and get a top-of-the-line STI to drive instead.  But -- common sense set it and I realized that my skills wouldn't be "worthy" of the gun....so I took a step back and re-evaluated.  Instead, I chose to stick with the XDM platform and bumped up to the 5.25" in .40.  I'm able to reuse most of my gear (magazines, reloading equipment, etc.) as well as use some aftermarket upgrades.  In my first match with the new gear, I saw a 20%+ increase in match points.  YMMV, but in my case going from a compact model to a full frame model made a big difference to me.  Now, would I see the same level of increase going from my current 5.25" to an STI -- absolutely not.  Would I have seen a benefit going from the 3.8" to an STI --- most likely....but my wallet would've been a lot lighter too!

From my perspective I would shoot what you have unless you are like me and started getting into the sport without already owning anything. 

If you go the route of getting a full size gun that is similar to the carry gun you started with but all the while you're wanting a 2011 platform to my mind you're building half a bridge. Sooner rather than later you'll be wanting that 2011 again and be out 700-1000 bucks for that "hold over" gun in the process. 

It's never a cheap transition but if its what you want you might as well just go for it. 

Also, as always, the gear won't make you any better in the long run, but it may make it more fun for you, which may lead to you spending more time practicing. 

Triangle Tactical just put out a podcast about this very topic. I would recommend looking it up and giving it a listen (besides it being a pretty good practical shooting podcast).

On 5/17/2017 at 1:56 AM, kneelingatlas said:

If you want to do it, do it!  Otherwise you'll always be curious.  That being said, a lot of shooters talk about switching from Glock to CZ to improve their scores, but that's mostly bullshit, practice improves your scores.

I shoot CZs because I'm the CZ guy, if you want to be a CZ guy too, sell the Glocks and get some!

Absolutely, it's just a matter of what you want.  As for me, I want my CZC Shadow.

Eric

Once everyone realizes production nationals have never been won with a Glock and never will be, this conversation gets a lot easier....

Wait, that is all backwards....Glocks have won and will win again. Those guys don't shoot sub-par stuff.

Look at the top 5 for the pas few years, pick the gun you like, shoot a lot, dry fire 100x more.

Well, I recently took a JJ Racaza class and the cost of admission was worth more than the number of match fees it would've paid for.

I actually did try JJ's production gun, which is a Tanfo Stock II, and I found the trigger to be heavier and longer than that of a CZC Shadow. I was surprised by how underwhelming the trigger was (especially in DA) in comparison with some of the custom CZs I've tried. I asked JJ why he chose his gun over a CZ, and his response was that he felt the heavier gun helped him slightly with recoil management. I then asked him how much benefit I would get by switching from my Glock right now, and he said, "Not much. I would wait until later."

JJ offered to let me use his Stock II for the remainder class, but I didn't feel it was beneficial to me to try to learn how to use a new gun while learning new non-marksmanship concepts at the same time.

After seeing students of various skill levels using different equipment in the class, I have determined that major differences in equipment only starts to matter when you're up at the top. 

The difference between a Glock and let's say a CZ  Shadow is huge.  The grip angle on the Glock is different.  The Glock trigger sucks compared to other guns.  I'm not bashing Glock, so you Glock shooters don't get butt hurt. I've had Glocks.

A CZ SP01 has a grip angle akin to a 45.  The single action trigger of a CZ SP01 can be fine tuned to about 3 lbs.  A Glock, or any striker fired trigger will never match a tuned CZ trigger.  A Glock "points" different than most other guns.

You have to decide what gun "fits" you best and STAY with it.  

On 5/17/2017 at 2:56 AM, kneelingatlas said:

I look at diehard Glock guys like the guy at the track with a 1989 LX Mustang who wears his shitty paint job like a badge of honor :roflol:

I'm sorry but any way you look at this, it is darn funny!!!  ?????????

On 5/23/2017 at 10:39 AM, wtturn said:

People don't like to hear it, but the gun is all but irrelevant in our sport.

Thats false. Switching from plasitc to Tanfo or CZ will affect you!

...It'll make you 80% of your Glock-shooting self until you shoot a few dozen matches or devote some serious SERIOUS time to dryfire. Been there, done that.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On 5/26/2017 at 10:02 AM, AzNooB said:

...After seeing students of various skill levels using different equipment in the class, I have determined that major differences in equipment only starts to matter when you're up at the top. 

I don't think that's it either. If it were, Bob Vogel would have switched from G35 to the more advantageous 2011 in Limited after making GM. Instead, he went the other way around.

I think that at the top, we see proof instead that platform doesn't matter much. As long as the gun is reliable and sufficiently accurate...

The competitor is able to shoot accurately regardless of trigger sexiness...

And the competitor executes his stage plans well...

There are any number of "optimal" platforms you can choose to shoot, and that you can win with.

Thats false. Switching from plasitc to Tanfo or CZ will affect you!

...It'll make you 80% of your Glock-shooting self until you shoot a few dozen matches or devote some serious SERIOUS time to dryfire. Been there, done that.

You missed my point.

The gun is irrelevant in the sense that it is only an extension of the shooter. The shooter (his skills and abilities) is the relevant element of one's own performance.

Meaning that it's an inefficient allocation of resources to be buying new guns and having to do remedial training to learn a new gun.

So you simultaneously missed my point and made my point for me. Weird.

When you have a half million dry/live reps on a gun, it starts to seem pretty dumb to switch to the "better" gun on paper.

I didn't miss your point, you missed my sarcasm. We're in absolute agreement.

I made the dumb switch from M&P to Tanfoglio because I was feeling burned out after 8 years shooting every single match with that one gun. And it worked. It made practice interesting again.

But it sure as hell took some work to catch up to where I was with the "inferior" plastic gun.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I agree with the adage to put your money into ammo but I just can't help wanting the new one from time to time. It does take time to get the new feel and by then i a, spotting another one that looks good. I have to admit I think I have fianally settled into a couple that I really enjoy.

On 5/26/2017 at 11:02 AM, AzNooB said:

After seeing students of various skill levels using different equipment in the class, I have determined that major differences in equipment only starts to matter when you're up at the top. 

This right here. Shot your gear that you currently own until your gun and gear is truly what is holding you back. You won't need to ask on here, you will know when it's time to "upgrade"

4 hours ago, sam_b said:

This right here. Shot your gear that you currently own until your gun and gear is truly what is holding you back. You won't need to ask on here, you will know when it's time to "upgrade"

If the gear he has is objectively inferior to something else, why not upgrade now rather than later? :sight:

I think Bob Vogel shows you can complete at the highest levels with a $500 gun.

Edited by kneelingatlas

5 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

If the gear he has is objectively inferior to something else, why not upgrade now rather than later? :sight:

I think Bob Vogel shows you can complete at the highest levels with a $500 gun.

The OP said he has a glock 17. That will take him far enough to where it will be his gear holding him back from progressing any further.

We're all adults here, can we just admit there are a hundred reasons to buy a new gun, not the least of which is boredom, peer pressure, or hero worship?

Don't pretend you ditched your Glock in favor of a Stock II because it was "holding back" your B card :roflol: You did it because it's sexy chrome and your buddies "ooh and ahh" over it!