Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for my first Tanfoglio and have some questions

Ok guys, I'm new to Tanfoglios and I'm not sure which route to go. It between the Witness Elite Limited, Stock II and Witness Match. First off I'd be shooting USPSA and 3 gun and don't plan on running an optics. The Stock II trigger looks funky to me. I think the Match would do just fine but it doesn't have a magwell and from what I've read you have to weld the magwell on? I just so happen to be a welder by day, so tig welding it on isn't an issue but I'm not sure if you have to weld it 100% or just small stitches? Are there any other major differences in the Match that would steer me to a different model? It's also going to be a 9mm. I'm a rookie when it comes to these guns and I'm really looking at getting into one. I currently shoot a M&P Pro. I wanted a 2011 but don't want to drop $3000+ right now and $140 mags is steep when I'd want at least 6. I held a Match in 40 and it felt really good in my hand so now I'm hooked.

Thanks in advance guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Match and Limited are single action only.  Stock 2 (and ones with funky trigger) are Da/sa.

The match frame is also a standard frame  (round trigger guard) where the others are competition frame. Better checkering, easier to work on.

I'd get the limited.

Step one: Decide which division(s) you want to shoot.

Step two: Pick gun.

The super-curved trigger looks funky in the double action guns... but looks deceive. Everyone who installs the straighter trigger comes back to the factory one. Just ask @B_RAD.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

The super-curved trigger looks funky in the double action guns... but looks deceive. Everyone who installs the straighter trigger comes back to the factory one. Just ask @B_RAD.

Yup!

Even did it with my CZ's too!  I like the curved trigger. 

The super-curved trigger looks funky in the double action guns... but looks deceive. Everyone who installs the straighter trigger comes back to the factory one. Just ask [mention=13315]B_RAD[/mention].

I haven't shot USPSA yet. It's mostly going to be for 3 gun. But I will probably shoot Limited minor and maybe production if the gun makes it, but if it doesn't I'm fine with Limited division. I also shoot PCC so I don't care if I can only shoot Limited

The same gun is not going to be competitive in both Limited and Production.

To have a weapon optimized for USPSA Limited it's got a magwell, 40cal Major ammo, and a sexy single action trigger. In 3-gun it's that gun but in 9mm minor. In Production it's got to be double action.

You need to decide which divisions you're honestly going to shoot in which sports and choose gun(s) that are competitive.

How many matches total have you shot at this point, and in which sports?

I suspect your cart is far ahead of your horse.

Limited minor pf for uspsa like I said above. I have no interest in shooting 40. The reason I want to shoot uspsa is for more trigger time on the pistol to improve it. There's a Tuesday night league every week so it's good practice. Any of the pistols I mentioned will be just fine for the 3 gun divisions I shoot. I want to know of the 3 guns I listed if there's any major differences or why you justify the Elite Limited over the Match for almost double the money. I'm not looking to be die hard in USPSA. I'm only going to shoot it for practice on the clock to improve my pistol shooting and stage planning

I went from a Match to a Limited (in USPSA major).  Here's what I got out of the upgrade:

• A magwell, and one that can be readily improved with at least one aftermarket option
  • Better front and backstrap checkering
  • Longer sight radius
  • much heavier nose with full dust-cover and cone/bull barrel (the cone-fit barrel is accurate, but so was the straight barrel in the Match) 
  • Ability to add a thumb-rest, which I like
  • Wider variety of race-holster options

If you're mainly a 3 gunner and want a plastic gun bucket holster, the thumb rest and race holster probably don't enter into it for you.  If you're shooting 9 minor, you may already have essentially complete recoil control already, so the heavier nose may not be of any use.  The extra sight radius is pretty small... maybe helpful on 30+ yard minipoppers and headshots, but a small addition.

For your purposes, I'd guess it's really about the magwell and the grip checkering.  I think the only previous manufacturer of a magwell for the non-square-guard Tanfos no longer offers them.  Unless you've got a line on an old, non-installed one, I think you'll shell out for the square trigger guard to get a magwell.  

If you don't care about that, the Match is actually quite a nice gun.  I still have mine; it's currently in my bedside safe as a home defense gun, in part because it was very reliable and accurate when I was gaming with it.

Edited by ATLDave

I shoot a stock 3 for 3gun and USPSA production. I would not feel bad if I dropped a Henning mag well on it and did mostly 3gun and limited minor. I like the trigger a lot - no need for a sa only. I did put in a bolo, titan and one piece sear. About a 2# sa trigger. I do shoot the S3 in steel challenge in limited division.
If it feels good in the hand - rock it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I shoot a stock 3 for 3gun and USPSA production. I would not feel bad if I dropped a Henning mag well on it and did mostly 3gun and limited minor. I like the trigger a lot - no need for a sa only. I did put in a bolo, titan and one piece sear. About a 2# sa trigger. I do shoot the S3 in steel challenge in limited division.
If it feels good in the hand - rock it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm just looking at getting into a steel frame gun and don't want to spend $3000+ on a 2011 and $130 for a mag. Plus everyone is shooting 2011's now. And the Tanfoglio does feel sooo nice in my hand. I just don't know shit about them, and want to get the best bang for my buck