Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New York USPSA matches

Hi Guys,

I know that New York has enacted magazine capacity restrictions.

My question is....how has this affected USPSA matches?  Are all magazines limited?

I am wondering since California's bans all standard capacity magazines on July 1.  There is much debate here as to what will happen to USPSA matches.

Nice rule ....    :bow:

I shot in NYS for ten years prior to the latest crackdown (after the

last school shooting), and we all used hi cap mags that were

"illegal" - everyone in Ltd and Open, that is.

Not no more, from what I've been told.    :ph34r:

I shoot at 2 clubs regularly on Long Island and its 10+1 for everyone.  The new laws don't allow high caps in the state at all.  Pre ban or not.  It's a real bummer but it is what it is.  We get really good a mag changes hahaha.

Hi Guys,

I know that New York has enacted magazine capacity restrictions.

My question is....how has this affected USPSA matches?  Are all magazines limited?

I am wondering since California's bans all standard capacity magazines on July 1.  There is much debate here as to what will happen to USPSA matches.

It had no real impact. The match turnouts are the same if not larger. Only LEO are exempt from the NY law but everyone just shoots with 10rd mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I would say it has a huge impact.  Not only are we all restricted at matches or not, it removes one of the biggest differences in divisions.  I would say that they are mostly in the same order as far as overall results go (Yes I know that doesn't matter) but the separation is much closer.  It takes away from it all in so many ways.  I live in NY and just have to deal with it. And LE doesn't get an exemption at matches.  Its equal for everyone.

I started shooting in NY last year.  A bunch of Leo's there,. All 10 +1.  Since I chose to run my 8 round 929 Revo there I'm a deuce low on capacity but really not much of a disadvantage if I chose to compare my scores to production or L10 shooters ( shooting minor the biggest disadvantage to the L10 guys but I try to get by at least a couple of them ?).  I find compared to running open or limited in Vermont it makes you break the stages down in a different way....  By the way, the range, matches, and competitors are of the same great quality regardless of the states restrictions!!!

3 hours ago, NoSteel said:

I started shooting in NY last year.  A bunch of Leo's there,. All 10 +1.  Since I chose to run my 8 round 929 Revo there I'm a deuce low on capacity but really not much of a disadvantage if I chose to compare my scores to production or L10 shooters ( shooting minor the biggest disadvantage to the L10 guys but I try to get by at least a couple of them ?).  I find compared to running open or limited in Vermont it makes you break the stages down in a different way....  By the way, the range, matches, and competitors are of the same great quality regardless of the states restrictions!!!

The last sentence in that post is so accurate.  We put on some pretty nice matches here.  As much as I wish I could load to max capacity I can look past it because I love the competition and the people.

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2017 at 7:36 AM, Edge40 said:

I shoot at 2 clubs regularly on Long Island and its 10+1 for everyone.  The new laws don't allow high caps in the state at all.  Pre ban or not.  It's a real bummer but it is what it is.  We get really good a mag changes hahaha.

I've watched videos from the Long Island clubs and (I know it's really not funny) I crack up every time I see the guy reloading his open gun with ten rounds in his big stick.

I've seen that too and im left scratching my head... a belt full of 10 round big sticks makes as much sense as riverboat in a pond. 

Lots of standard cap mags around here in wny, everyone just has blockers in them. 

Block your mags, come shoot, return to America and unblock. 

12 minutes ago, Edge40 said:

Haven't seen anyone running 10 in a big stick at my clubs. 

Ive only seen the one guy mentioned in the youtube video above. It's a group in Long Island. Go figure...

10 minutes ago, Nemesis Lead said:

Have you guys seen any movement to Carry Optics from Open?  Or to Production from Limited?

Not really. We have one guy that went from open to C/O. He's a member here. It's mostly been production guys that have gone to C/O. 

3 hours ago, davidb72 said:

I've watched videos from the Long Island clubs and (I know it's really not funny) I crack up every time I see the guy reloading his open gun with ten rounds in his big stick.

Completely off topic but I love the Uncle Paul profile pic

Ok back to mags

• 5 months later...

Well i can tell you first hand NEW YORK SUCKS THE BIG!!! But we do get a lot of practice on mag changes. LOL. Some guys that i shoot with ,if you are not paying close attention you will miss the mag change that just happened. 

• 2 months later...

Living the dream in NY LOL

Stage planning is what you have do, figure where your mag changes are going to be and do them

Go to PA or another free state and figure IF you need a mag change?

That's what seems to work for most guys in NY when they go out of state.

That way you don't press the mag release every time you move