Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MPX - Hiperfire 24C - which springs?

The heavier springs arguably actually reduce wear by protecting the disconnector from the hammer hitting it with excessive force which is a concern due to the high bolt speed of the MPX.  I now have 3,350 rounds on my 24C with no issues.  

Something to ponder.......Just like the 1911/2011; the main spring is being used as 'part' of the recoil system (debatable as to whether it is a good thing or bad thing).......guy's are putting in heavier main springs (yeah for ignition too) so that you keep the pistol locked just a little longer and then going with a somewhat lighter recoil spring. The same can be said on blow back AR's too. Just a little trick to think about.

15 minutes ago, TRUBL said:

Something to ponder.......Just like the 1911/2011; the main spring is being used as 'part' of the recoil system (debatable as to whether it is a good thing or bad thing).......guy's are putting in heavier main springs (yeah for ignition too) so that you keep the pistol locked just a little longer and then going with a somewhat lighter recoil spring. The same can be said on blow back AR's too. Just a little trick to think about.

Problem is the availability of recoil springs for the MPX, of any kind, much less OEM.  I have not found any aftermarket. It's been a while since I checked, but Sig doesnt seem to want to sell replacement recoil springs. Hopefully this has/will change.

Just now, GregJ said:

Problem is the availability of recoil springs for the MPX, of any kind, much less OEM.  I have not found any aftermarket. It's been a while since I checked, but Sig doesnt seem to want to sell replacement recoil springs. Hopefully this has/will change.

SIG MPX......you are on your own :D  I was only talking about blow back actions

Thanks again for all the advice. Great to hear about the longevity too. Thanks!

I took it to a brief range session today. Trigger felt awesome as expected. However, even after breaking it in with 500-600 factory rounds, the gun still doublefeeds/stovepipes with my 147gr. It's a little better with the 124gr, but nowhere near reliably enough to run at a match. Looks like I'm going to have to get the gas port opened up. Dang it. 

Let the mags sit loaded full for a few days and try again. Remember,  the mpx needs,some gas to operate properly. If you are using handloads adjust powder/type as applicable. Heavy bullet and fast powder for a pistol app may not work  so well for the mpx....

Edited by TISCHLJ
Spell
3 hours ago, corny said:

Gas, Gas, Gas...The MPX needs it.  I picked up a case of 115 grain Magtech 9mm.  They are about 1158 FPS.  MPX loves that load.

Now I am duplicating that load on my Dillon. 

Since the MPX is a gas piston gun, you need to think of it more like an Open division pistol rather than a Production 9.  My steel challenge load is a 95 grain Montana Gold over either 4.8 grains of N330 or 5.6 grains of WAP at a little over 1000 fps.  It ejects the empties at least 10 feet at about 1 o'clock.   I'm using it to clean out a bunch of leftover powders 

Using more modern powders like CFE Pistol 5.1 grains with a 115 Montana Gold JHP at 1.125 OAL runs about 1175 fps.  It feels very soft and ejects about 3-4 feet further than the 95 grain bullets.  The N330 and WAP loads listed above using the 115 JHP also run about 135 PF out of my MPX carbine.

I'm also using the hiperfire 24C with the silver springs.

Edited by Ming the Merciless
Edited to add trigger info
16 hours ago, Ming the Merciless said:

Since the MPX is a gas piston gun, you need to think of it more like an Open division pistol rather than a Production 9.  My steel challenge load is a 95 grain Montana Gold over either 4.8 grains of N330 or 5.6 grains of WAP at a little over 1000 fps.  It ejects the empties at least 10 feet at about 1 o'clock.   I'm using it to clean out a bunch of leftover powders 

Using more modern powders like CFE Pistol 5.1 grains with a 115 Montana Gold JHP at 1.125 OAL runs about 1175 fps.  It feels very soft and ejects about 3-4 feet further than the 95 grain bullets.  The N330 and WAP loads listed above using the 115 JHP also run about 135 PF out of my MPX carbine.

I'm also using the hiperfire 24C with the silver springs.

What he said.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Bit of a necro-thread, but for giggles I just tried to put a Hiperfire 24 3G from another build into my MPX and it was only semi-functional.  Mine is a Gen 2 from Mid 16' and the issue is that the area milled out in the lower for the trigger is too narrow for the Hiperfire.  So the double barrel metal parts JUST fit without rubbing.  The problem is the springs, the heaviest and largest diameter silver springs rub on both sides of the lower quite a bit, enough so that if you are holding the hammer back, there's basically no pressure and you can feel it grinding when recocking.  The yellow springs were better, but still rubbed, the hammer seemed to "take off" fine, but you could feel them rubbing when recocking.  The blue springs were the only ones that did not rub, but they also give the lightest hammer force, so that seemed like a bad idea for reliability.   Just in general I also didn't like how there was almost no tolerance between the sides of the lower and the double barrel metal parts, especially since it seems like they have a little give room to move left/right. 

Other guys seems to be running them without issue in MPX's, so perhaps mine is just milled super narrow.  

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 2:01 PM, Flatland Shooter said:

Easy enough to change out the springs.  Start out with the heavy springs (gives the lightest trigger pull) and see how you fare.

I have several 24C triggers and have used the heavy springs on all of them.  Its a great trigger.

Bill

I second this.  

8 hours ago, toddm said:

Bit of a necro-thread, but for giggles I just tried to put a Hiperfire 24 3G from another build into my MPX and it was only semi-functional.  Mine is a Gen 2 from Mid 16' and the issue is that the area milled out in the lower for the trigger is too narrow for the Hiperfire.  So the double barrel metal parts JUST fit without rubbing.  The problem is the springs, the heaviest and largest diameter silver springs rub on both sides of the lower quite a bit, enough so that if you are holding the hammer back, there's basically no pressure and you can feel it grinding when recocking.  The yellow springs were better, but still rubbed, the hammer seemed to "take off" fine, but you could feel them rubbing when recocking.  The blue springs were the only ones that did not rub, but they also give the lightest hammer force, so that seemed like a bad idea for reliability.   Just in general I also didn't like how there was almost no tolerance between the sides of the lower and the double barrel metal parts, especially since it seems like they have a little give room to move left/right. 

Other guys seems to be running them without issue in MPX's, so perhaps mine is just milled super narrow.  

Hello: Did you install the spring guides in the correct position? I can put a piece of paper on either side, so mine has clearance. I wonder if they changed the spec? Is your trigger pull consistent or does it change? Thanks, Eric