Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, bret said:

I shot the stage in a19.27 and 21.49.
11 Alpha's
12 Charley's
1 Mike
HF 2.28

It wasn't that hard of a stage.

You can't blaze away at all stages, look at what happened to Max Michel Jr.
he shot it in 9.64 and 10.05
7 Alpha's
6 Charley's
4 Delta's
7 Mike's
HF 0.00

I didn't think it was that hard of a stage. It was one where you really needed to focus and slow down. It showed me where my weaknesses are, as a top level match should. I expect to be tested and pushed at nationals. I liked having this combined nationals where they could really push the limits of the guns being used. I wouldn't want to simplify stages to make them fair for limited capacity guns.

Talking to Max after the awards he commented that he broke a recoil spring on stage 18.

9 minutes ago, Mikeski said:

I didn't think it was that hard of a stage. It was one where you really needed to focus and slow down. It showed me where my weaknesses are, as a top level match should. I expect to be tested and pushed at nationals. I liked having this combined nationals where they could really push the limits of the guns being used. I wouldn't want to simplify stages to make them fair for limited capacity guns.

Talking to Max after the awards he commented that he broke a recoil spring on stage 18.

I guess he should shoot a Glock. ;)

I'm feeling better about finishing 4th on this stage...but I was using a rifle...

Talk about a stage that heavily favored the PCC shooters. Getting to dodge the "WHO" stuff rocks!

I say that this stage didn't offer the same crushing blow of the "Georgia Standards" stages that I recall from past Georgia State USPSA matches. That one was a doozie; so much so that I have tried to block it and don't even recall the exact stages other than the fact that it was crushing.

23 minutes ago, wgj3 said:

I'm feeling better about finishing 4th on this stage...but I was using a rifle...

Talk about a stage that heavily favored the PCC shooters. Getting to dodge the "WHO" stuff rocks!

I say that this stage didn't offer the same crushing blow of the "Georgia Standards" stages that I recall from past Georgia State USPSA matches. That one was a doozie; so much so that I have tried to block it and don't even recall the exact stages other than the fact that it was crushing.

I think a PCC will always have an advantage over a pistol. You have 3 points of contact always with a rifle unless you one hand it. Now that's what is nice about USPSA and I, an Open shooter, am not competing against the rifles.

Now I did think there were stages at nationals that really were harder for PCC than for a pistol.

1 hour ago, Mikeski said:

I think a PCC will always have an advantage over a pistol, in a stage like #18 at 2017 Optic Nat'ls. You have 3 points of contact always with a rifle unless you one hand it. Now that's what is nice about USPSA and I, an Open shooter, am not competing against the rifles.

Now I did think there were stages at nationals that really were harder for PCC than for a pistol.

I completely agree. My statement about liking this stage was only because I was shooting PCC. Some of the other "tighter" stages with more confined spaces to work within, I think, were absolutely more conducive to navigating with a pistol. My personal takeaways:

1)- Minor scoring stinks. (I know that all PCC's score the same, but it still stinks.)

2)- Empty gun starts favor pistols. (I'm sure that I can get faster than I was, but the handguns seem substantially easier to get going while getting onto the first target.)

3)- Open is still the fastest/highest-scoring division by far.

5 hours ago, Mikeski said:

That sucks. I probably should have known that because it's not like him to shoot multiple mikes on a stage.

2 hours ago, wgj3 said:

Yeah, I agree. I do think the gap will close between pcc and open in the future, but as of right now I don't think it's even very close. It probably depends on the way the match is setup more than anything else. I think there will probably be some impressive leaps forward in pcc technical ability in the future.

2 hours ago, wgj3 said:

If you look at the Overall standing in the top 20 shooters, 16 are open, 3 are PCC and 1 CO. So yeah I think Open right now is still king. 

1 hour ago, Jake Di Vita said:

That sucks. I probably should have known that because it's not like him to shoot multiple mikes on a stage.

2016 Swamp Challenge Stage 1.  It happens.  I distinctly remember because this was THE most fun USPSA shooting challenge I've had yet while standing still.