Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canik TP9 SFX Competition-Ready (Optics Ready!) Pistol

mreed911

56 minutes ago, JBBoise said:

Now that it's production legal the question has come up locally if the 20 Round mags are legal for use in Prod?

Box measurements  8.938" x 6" x 1.625"

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, sweetback said:

Legal for LIMITED/OPEN not for production or COPTIKS.

Where do you see that in the carry optics rules? The box wouldn't allow it in production.

For any one that owns one of these:  Would you be able to make a scan of the 4 mounting plates, just the tops and e-mail it to me?  Looking to do an experiment and the plate images would be easier than purchasing the gun... 

Thank you.

Arizona guy here, 469.00 at grabagun was a deal I couldn't refuse for a TP9 SFX. Should take delivery in a week and will be looking for some matches in the Pinal county/Tucson area to get my feet wet in production.

59 minutes ago, sfinney said:

Any updates or recommendations on a custom kydex holster for the SFX? I don't see much out there yet...  no Bladetech or RHT...  unless a Walther Q5 Match holster would work?

My SFX fits in my custom M&P 5" holster like it was made for it.  My M&P holster came from nickydex.com

• 1 month later...

OK, so I actually bought one of these and took it out to the range.

This gun is bone stock - all I did was take it out of the box, take it apart, clean it, oil it, and reverse the mag release (I want to try a right side release).

I shot about 300 rounds last night - all of which were my reloads - 147 gr Ibejihead Coated Bullet, 3.0 gr Titegroup, S&B SPP, at about 1.14 OAL.

The gun ran perfectly - not one problem. I didn't get a chance to chrono those rounds as it was raining outside, but they fell very pleasant - not snappy or anything. Very similar to the feel out of my 9mm 1911 actually (which they make about 130 PF out of).

I don't think I am going to mess with the spring or the guide rod just yet. I shot some at 10-15 yards at a fast double tap pace and had 19/20 in the A zone of a USPSA target. As I moved further back I was shooting everything off to the left which is normal for me - almost every pistol I won has the sights drifter over so that wasn't a surprise to me.

Overall I am very impressed with the gun - the trigger has a very long take up, but when it gets to the break it is pretty clean and smooth. If someone was looking for a gun to get started in IDPA or USPSA they could do a lot worse than this. And at the price I paid ~$460.00 I really don't think you can beat it.

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2017 at 6:51 PM, mreed911 said:

Fair enough. I should have specified.  If you think it's competitive in Limited or Open, feel free.  No Production = No CO unless they've received special approval for that (which I don't see they have, either).

It is IDPA legal - SSP & ESP.

On 3/24/2017 at 6:15 PM, 57K said:

I believe it comes with its own. The one I got with the TP9sa is a dead ringer for the Blackhawk Serpa. As far as the triggers, they really are second to none. If I buy another Canik I may go with the tungsten finish. In any event, I think my finish issues are about the prep, or lack thereof before the Cerakote was applied.

Unfortunately, there's a new problem potentially. It appears that the prime minister of Turkey wants a dictatorship like Syria, or worse, become another Islamic Republic. Once shooters start comparing the SFX to the Q5, HKs new long barrel model, the S&W M&P, or FN FNS 5", these pistols will become very popular in competition. That is, if Turkey's PM doesn't screw everything up first!

The holster it comes with is great if you like Fobus paddles.

3 hours ago, Jeff O said:

I assume you have to run 18 round mags to shoot Production or SSP ? Can you clue me which ones fit ?

Not sure if your question about 'fit' is about the mags & holster or just the mags. 

Both the 20 or 18 round Canik mags work fine with the SFx, however in USPSA production, however you're limited to 10-rounds in your mag at the buzzer.

17 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

Not sure if your question about 'fit' is about the mags & holster or just the mags. 

Both the 20 or 18 round Canik mags work fine with the SFx, however in USPSA production, however you're limited to 10-rounds in your mag at the buzzer.

I think he’s asking if maybe the 20rd mags are extended and thus don’t fit in the box. ;)