Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg Shockwave

20 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

I mentioned I wanted one to my LGS and turned out he had two in stock.  Picked one up early Friday (the first "legal" day in Texas).  I've not had a chance to shoot it but its built like a tank.

Nice, a local store has the Remington version but it's over $400, I haven't handled one yet but want one nonetheless.

My LGS got his before the Texas law changed.  He had to sit on them for several months and was ready to get rid of them.  He offered to beat PSA's price and I accepted.

He was setup at a gunshow in Allen, Texas this weekend so I bet the second gun sold quickly.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

17 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Did you get to shoot it yet, Bill?  I am not sure why I want one, but I want one.  

The road to my practice range flooded out and still no access.  I plan on starting out small with 1145 fps AA shells.  If that's too punishing, I'll track down a box of the 980 fps shells.  Otherwise, I plan on working my way up with heavier loads until I know than particular load was a bad idea.

Other than replacing my house gun (S&W 916 12 gauge pump bought back around 1980), I have no idea what to do with this other than have a little fun.  Showed it to a neighbor and he's convinced I must have some machine guns in the safe (I don't).   :ph34r:

On 9/4/2017 at 2:22 PM, bmiller said:

Did you get to shoot it yet, Bill?  I am not sure why I want one, but I want one.  

Made it to the range this morning.  Shot a box of 1145 fps #8 Winchester AA's.  Function was 100% and recoil not as bad as I feared.  

I was surprised how tight the pattern you can get with a 14" cylinder bore barrel.  Still got to aim to get the hits.

Still happy I bought it.

Both and everything in between.

The 10" x 10" shotgun steel plates are set about 8 yards from the firing line and less than 2' above ground level.  They are on a hinge and reset with a rope.

Best accuracy is pushing forward on the hand guard and strap and pulling back on the pistol grip.  Gun held high enough that I could reference the front bead at about 5 o'clock on the plate.  Not really looking down the barrel, more like sighting along side of the barrel.  The pistol grip was about the same distance from my shoulder as it would have been if this was a full stocked shotgun. And I'm holding kinda "gangsta" style. Canted about 45 degrees.

From the hip I'm shooting high.  Just need more practice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Took my Shockwave to the range again but decided to try some slightly hotter shells.  I ran less than half of a box of 1350 fps shells. 

The fun factor is inversely proportional to the velocity of the shot.  

1350 FPS  =  No fun

1145 FPS  =  Fun

980 FPS  =  Lotsa fun

Experiment over.

With light loads, they are fun.  From the hip I consistently shoot high.  Holding the gun up where I can sorta aim down the barrel is much more accurate but you feel the effects of recoil much more.  Held high actually took a toll on my right wrist, but them I'm a wimp.

Thinking of adding a rail and laser to see if I like that.

I've not fired any of the mini-shells (bought all the LGS had but it was only 15 rds) but everything else I've shot is 2-3/4" and feeds and fires 100%.