Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack 1911 Suggestions

rootacres

If you want to do the work RIA is a decent choice, and unless something has changed you will learn fitting. You can get a model very near ready or as bare bones as A1 style. I don't recommend anything that will need slide milling for better sights, it's wasted money with as many already cut options as are out there, RIA's Novak-like cut will require time with a file. Be aware there are custom shops that will not work on RIA.

SA makes very good 1911s at great prices for what you get, and they pop up on the used market pretty regular. They have a few proprietary parts, firing pin, ILS junk, front sight tenon (one more reason to avoid staked), but overall hold to mil-spec pin positions and whatnot so while fitting may be required it's generally minor. Every shop will work on a SA. The ROs really sound like a good deal.

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

It's too bad Wilson Combat doesn't make any .40 guns, because then you'd suddenly be able to utilize that caliber in CDP.

I wish they would. 40 Major in IDPA CDP would be pretty sweet.

We can thank TGO for that as well, from what I'm sure is an apocryphal story. It has TGO talking with Bill W telling him that he, TGO, would destroy in CDP if they allowed .40sw. So CDP will stay .45 forever. While we shoot things like Glock 21/41 or M&P or other guns in CDP they are all gonna be .45.

Again, as someone who bounces back and forth, I needed a .45 1911 if I wanted to shoot Single Stack and CDP with the same gun.

15 hours ago, rowdyb said:

We can thank TGO for that as well, from what I'm sure is an apocryphal story. It has TGO talking with Bill W telling him that he, TGO, would destroy in CDP if they allowed .40sw. So CDP will stay .45 forever. While we shoot things like Glock 21/41 or M&P or other guns in CDP they are all gonna be .45.

Again, as someone who bounces back and forth, I needed a .45 1911 if I wanted to shoot Single Stack and CDP with the same gun.

I think we chatted about this at Optics nationals briefly. the only bummer is the price of 45s.