Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Go-to 10mm Loads

SOA1911

Usually, I load 8.9 to 9.2 grains of Longshot under a 180 gr. Hornady XTP, which performs very well from my Sig P220 and Colt Delta Elite. But, over the weekend I began shooting two (2) additional loads, which were not only very pleasant to shoot but also very accurate. One is 7.00 grains of Unique under a Nosler 150 gr. Sporting Handgun Pistol JHP at 1.260" OACL using CCI 300 primers. According to Nosler's load data, this was their most accurate load of all the powders that they tested. It averages 1,157 fps. (I can attest to its accuracy.) The second load I got from John Taffin, Contributing Editor of American Handgunner, is 10.50 grains of AA No.7 under Sierra 180 gr. JHP at 1.255" OACL using CCI 300 primer. This load clocks at 1,140 fps and gives excellent accuracy. I believe that the later will be equally as accurate using a 180 gr. Hornady XTP, which I really like shooting in my handguns. Hopefully, some of the readers may find this a helpful post.

Yes, I was wondering just that. I have not loaded the 10 mm with True Blue yet, but I may in the future. I have a good supply of 180 gr. Hornady XTPs, so I would be interested in any suggestions using True Blue. Strangely, Western Powder's Reloading Guide does not list True Blue under the 10 mm.

57K, thank you very much for the valuable information and load data for the 10mm using True Blue. As you accurately pointed out to Lee, the two loads that I mentioned in my OP were well below maximum charge. And, as you already know, I work-up loads for accuracy and reliability.  Sometimes, my most accurate loads will be at or near max. Other times, I find the most accurate load to be well below maximum charge. Since I do not use my 10mm handguns to hunt, I see no need to load "nuclear" rounds (but some of my friends do) to get excellent accuracy. From the information that you have provided, I feel confident that I can attain excellent accuracy from either my Colt Delta Elite (a 2016 model) or my Sig P220. When I get a chance, I am going to give it a shot (no pun intended). Unfortunately, our local indoor range no longer allows the use of chronographs. (They are just too busy to call a "cold" line/range.) Maybe after hours? We will see. But, I can easily determine a great functioning, accurate load without a chronograph. That being said, it is obvious that a chronograph gives the hand-loader valuable statistics. No argument here. Nosler's reloading data will actually give you their most accurate load for all the powders tested using their bullets. And, they also give the best load with each individual powder tested--again using their bullets. However, as we all know, results may vary for multiple reasons, but it is still a great data base.

Also, I liked the story about Wiley Clapp--a legend for sure!

57K, like you, I would expect to see True Blue in Western's 10mm load data soon. Funny you mentioned Lyman: my first loading manual was the Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook. An excellent manual indeed. I truly trust their data. 

I am a fan favorite of the AA powders, especially #2, #5, and #7. However, I am more of a fan of the Ramshot powders, which are somewhat underrated in my opinion. Not to be redundant, but for the full power 10mm loads, it seems that a lot of folks like AA #9, Blue Dot, Longshot, and Power Pistol. Personally, I like Longshot. But, I do not shoot enough 10mm guns to venture too far from the norm. Now in the 9mm Luger and .45 ACP--that's a whole different story.

57K, I got your email, and it is very informative indeed. And, I did in fact notice that you were spot-on in your interpolation. You must have picked up Mr. Loubser's skills. When I get a chance I am going to give True Blue a try in the 10 mm. Unfortunately, my local range does not allow the use of a chrono, and I understand: they are just too busy. At some point, I may have to drive an hour away to a friends private range. That being said, I will be conservative (as I always try to be) and try loads closer in velocity to my AA #5 loads. Thanks friend!

AA#9 don't have the amount off the top of my head but it fills the case and is a compressed load.

Shoot accurately and with good velocity out of every 10 I've owned

1911's , 2011's. 1glock and revolvers

go to Alliants website start low and work up until it gets accurate and clean= then get serious with different smal combo's until it really hums

Neil

Some I've settled into...  All out of a 5" Delta Elite

Range/Target Practice/Bunny Farts

6.6 Power Pistol over 180g coated nets right at 1000fps or a hair under

6.0 WST over 180g coated jumps up a bit to 1050

Getting sporty

10.4 Blue Dot over 180g Zero  Zero JHP runs right at 1250

9.8 Longshot over 180g Zero TCFM (slightly over max, work up to it) just over 1300

AA9 I'm not going to post, work it up but you can get 1300+ easily

10.2 Blue Dot over 200g Zero TCFM (over max, work up to it) hits 1240, not to shabby for a 200.

AA9 has the lowest ES and SD I've found of the above typically, but is a very fine powder so can be finicky to meter.

True Blue sounds interesting, I will have to give it a try.

For Factory Ammo, Sig Sauer loads to spec and you'll find their FMJ runs pretty close to 1250, unlike the watered down offering from most of the big ammo boys.

7 hours ago, 57K said:

Sure don't want to discourage anyone from Trying True Blue, but it is also very fine grained and even a bit denser than #9. #9 is 950 grams/liter while True Blue is 975. Both and any like them like #7 all do very nicely in my Uniflow, but YMMV.

Ah, yeah the thing about AA9 that kinda bothered me is that it's very fine so easy to get in and around small crevices on the press, it actually gummed up my 550 primer spring/cup - took me a few minutes to figure out what was going on.  I've since switched loading 10mm to the 1050 since I find myself shooting it so much :) - but yeah would be using a Dillon PM unless loading over max numbers, then would use the 1500 and manually drop via a AT500 die/funnel setup on the toolhead.  Semi local Dillon shop I like to support hits the gun shows and always has a good selection of Western Powders so I might pick up a lb to try just for kicks.

• 7 months later...
On 3/6/2017 at 2:47 PM, 57K said:

For everyone: Some years ago Wiley Clapp theorized that the 10mm would be much more popular for LE if the loads were a bit more practical. The Alaska State Police used to carry 10mms and may still, but they also encounter some pretty large critters. Clapp is following an idea I first saw mentioned by Ed Sanow that dealt with very high energy loads failing because the energy was great enough that it reversed the desired effect. We also know this has happened to LEOs carrying full power .41 & .44 Magnums that failed to stop their intended targets. What Sanow proposed and Clapp seems to follow is that 500 - 550 Ft/Lbs of KE is plenty for self defense loads where the jacket must expand rather than close and act like an FMJ. Wiley Clapp proposed a velocity of 1115 FPS being ideal for 180 gr. JHPs in 10mm. However, that was a bit before bonded bullets became so widespread in use and they would probably have a bit more flexabilty as far as their velocity range. I don't buy bonded bullets for handloading. Never have and never needed to. There are very good JHPs at 180 grs. as well as other weights. In some cases you even give up some expansion for the advantage of bonding. One of the truly excellent bullets available to handloaders that appears to work about as well as any bonded are the SPEER Gold Dots. And now we have the SIG V-Crown bullets made by SIERRA where they copied a concept from Hornady of using a mechanical lock inside the jacket to hold jacket and core together. REM Golden Sabers are also excellent if you can find them. The originals expand better than the newer bonded version.

So, if Clapp is correct, while I've rarely seen him wrong, a 180 gr. JHP at 1115 FPS develops 497 Ft/Lbs of muzzle energy. Close enough to Sanow's analysis. And not to be overlooked is momentum at .891 Lb-seconds where the best loads in 9 x 19mm run around .650 Lb-seconds. What many are not aware of is that for this type of load and it's lower or "medium velocity" few powders work as well as True Blue. You're results won't be nearly as good if you use the same powder that you use for your full-tilt hunting loads.

@57K, Do you have info on where Mr. Clapp wrote that,  I would be interested in reading more about the subject of the optimal velocity theory.  I had not thought about the JHP projectiles not performing as well at higher velocities.  It makes sense but I also thought that the idea behind the FBI wanting the 10mm was to counter a weak 9mm and have the ability to penetrate vehicle bodies and still be lethal to a target.