Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New one for me as an RO

Frieday

I have been a certified RO for about a year now.  Though I haven't ran any major matches yet, I do enjoy running squads at my local clubs.  I really enjoy scoring targets and making the general RO calls like faulting and such.  What I don't like is handing out DQ's.  But there are some situations that are just so obvious that a DQ is unavoidable.

Today I was ROing at a local match that was indoor.  The range has a reputation for its slippery concrete floors that shooters need to be aware of when moving fast.   One shooter was moving along pretty quick.  He shoots an array of targets and then runs around a corner to engage another array.  As he rounds the corner, he plants his outside foot like he was going to push off and slips. BAM!, to the ground he goes.  As he hits the ground his open gun leaves his hands, hits the ground and slides about 10 feet downrange and ends up pointing back uprange!  This was a very unsettling feeling.  I immediately walked to the gun and carefully lifted and pointed it down range.  I cleared the gun and handed it back to the shooter and asked him to show clear and holster.  As he followed the commands and holstered, the gun and holster became separated from his belt.  To add insult to injury, the holster had broken from the mount on his belt when he fell.  So I held the gun in a safe direction until he retrieved his bag.

An unfortunate event, but luckily no one was hurt.