Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If money is no issue, what is your favorite 40 major powder? Why?

Bullets

If money is no issue, what is your favorite 40 major powder? Why?  

280 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After 8 or 9 years of using v.v.3n37 in 40, I recently went to n320.  I think its a good move & great powder choice.  For me, not only is felt recoil reduced but I get more rounds per pound so I am saving a little money.  About 30% savings actually which in the end is probably 1 local match entry saved in a year.  Lol.  Not much in the big picture.

• 5 weeks later...

N320. I liked it so much that I got 28lbs[emoji7]. (ok that and I got it right before the election, when two other places suddenly ran dry while I was load testing so it was a bit of a panic buy [emoji15])

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

N320 is my favorite powder for Limited, major pf.  Very consistent on the chrono, good recoil impulse.  I save my N320 stash for majors, and use Titegroup or whatever else I can get my hands on for locals and practice.

E3 for major, & Nitro 100nf for minor. Both very, very clean. No soot or char on brass & both very accurate. Cost is not a factor. I have to load short for CZ Tactical Sport 1.130 OAL. Titegroup is hot for major & Clays seems dirty for minor, but is soft.

• 10 months later...
On 3/1/2017 at 4:48 PM, CHA-LEE said:

Other - Nobel Sport Prima SV

Why?

(1) - Cheap

(2) - Not Temperature Sensitive

(3) - Fairly soft felt recoil

(4) - Meters well

(5) - Great Accuracy

Is this a different shape and type of powder than prima V? I ask because I’ve been using prima V in my 40 and it’s extremely accurate but meters horribly. Huge variations. 

11 hours ago, Superpipe9 said:

Is this a different shape and type of powder than prima V? I ask because I’ve been using prima V in my 40 and it’s extremely accurate but meters horribly. Huge variations. 

The shape of the powder granuals is similar. Sounds like a powder measure issue to me. Are you using a Dillon press? If so the upper powder bar that is retained by the white plastic nub is probably shifting back and forth while metering.

12 hours ago, Superpipe9 said:

i think there is something else going on. I used 22 lbs of prima v over the last couple years, using a dillon measure, lee auto-disk, and lee auto-drum. I had very consistent metering in all of them, and tiny SD's in my chrono. Only exception was when i got down to around 3.1-3.2 grains in the auto-disk for 9mm minor, i started to have some trouble with bridging and light loads, so I got an auto-drum and solved the problem.

one thing prima v does is takes a few dozen pulls of the handle to really settle, so for the first 100 rds, I check and adjust the weight every 10 pulls or so. I don't recall if SV has the same issue, but I haven't emptied my powder measure in several months. I just keep topping it off and reloading.

I have used N320 and red dot and clays (for 40 minor and 45 major) as well, and I like prima sv much better than any of them

51 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

The shape of the powder granuals is similar. Sounds like a powder measure issue to me. Are you using a Dillon press? If so the upper powder bar that is retained by the white plastic nub is probably shifting back and forth while metering.

This is what I was thinking as well so Dillon sent me a larger bar on top and it didn’t help any so I swapped the whole powder measure out for another one and still have the same issue. I couldn’t  figure it out so I tried VVN320 and clean shot and they both are metering perfectly. Any other opinions? I’m at a loss. 

2 minutes ago, Superpipe9 said:

This is what I was thinking as well so Dillon sent me a larger bar on top and it didn’t help any so I swapped the whole powder measure out for another one and still have the same issue. I couldn’t  figure it out so I tried VVN320 and clean shot and they both are metering perfectly. Any other opinions? I’m at a loss. 

Do you pause during the powder drop?  I'm not talking about a huge wait, just a pause for a second while the powder drops? 

The other thing I can think of is to see if there is powder falling out of the powder measure which would indicate that the case had left the powder funnel while some powder was still in the powder measure/funnel assembly.

11 minutes ago, jhgtyre said:

Do you pause during the powder drop?  I'm not talking about a huge wait, just a pause for a second while the powder drops? 

The other thing I can think of is to see if there is powder falling out of the powder measure which would indicate that the case had left the powder funnel while some powder was still in the powder measure/funnel assembly.

Yes. I’ve tried everything 

15 minutes ago, Superpipe9 said:

Yes. I’ve tried everything 

Have you tried what motosapiens said?

I've also loaded a lot of Prima v and get very consistent drops and single digit SD. You do have drop a lot to get it settled though. 

Titegroup and N320 we're the top two on every division's equipment survey for 2017 (except Open, of course).  Nothing else was more than 12%, most stayed in the single digits.

Specifically for Limited, TG had 30% and N320 had 28%.  WST in a distant third place with 9%.

Debatable to say those that can afford to travel to Nationals have a bit more invested in the sport. I wouldn't expect N320 to score as high at a L2 or local.  So TG for the win?

Personally, WST since it's made at St. Marks, FL. (so is TG) vs N320 from across the pond.

Edited by IronicTwitch

I used Titegroup for a couple years, but recently switched to N320.  I wouldn't be opposed to using Titegroup again.  Titegroup has lower charge weights and isn't as expensive so ultimately costs less.  N320 burns cleaner and cooler, and works much better with coated bullets.

I voted other, I think once Sport Pistol gets out in the wild more it will be the best.  Fast burn rate like WST  tightgroup, 320, supposedly specifically made for the coated bullets we are using, few dollars cheaper than other powders. Nail down temp sensitivity and it might be the bees knees

2 hours ago, Joe4d said:

I voted other, I think once Sport Pistol gets out in the wild more it will be the best.  Fast burn rate like WST  tightgroup, 320, supposedly specifically made for the coated bullets we are using, few dollars cheaper than other powders. Nail down temp sensitivity and it might be the bees knees

How temp sensitive is it?  Is it a clean burner?

• 3 weeks later...

320 is great and super clean but all i run is autocomp now. i loaded up mags and asked random people at the range to shoot the gun and 10 out of 10 randoms all thought autocomp was softer. is it dirtier? yea but barely.