Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX tubes with Grams spring and follower

itzjere

Anybody having issues with the MBX 18 round 45 ACP magazines. I really have to slam them into the gun to lock in place. Sometimes I need to slam it in 2-3 times to seat the magazine. I believe they are 141.25 mm in length. Help if you can.

Thanks

Mike

On 3/16/2017 at 0:46 PM, mlm said:

Anybody having issues with the MBX 18 round 45 ACP magazines. I really have to slam them into the gun to lock in place. Sometimes I need to slam it in 2-3 times to seat the magazine. I believe they are 141.25 mm in length. Help if you can.

Thanks

Mike

Are the mags full to capacity?

Ya I called grams to order some spring kits and the owner made a big effort to convince me that he wasn't a fan of the mbx mags and that his followers would not work well in them...

That said I have one FKS kit for a 170 mbx and after trimming the slide stop portion off I've found it to hold 29rnds of 9mm, just like my stock follower, and so far (admittedly very few rounds at this point) it's been reliable. Also, this is just a "feeling"- the follower seems much more stable than the stock one, like it wld be less likely to flip and seize up like my stock follower had done a few times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I run 2 MBX mags with Gram's spring and followers, they run with no problems. I use the FKS-13 (I think) kit and it works with no problem. I get 29 reloadable. I won't fully switch to them until I get a chance to try the new STI tubes.

Grams springs and followers are a better design, problem is the mbx tubes are too wide internally, which is one of the reasons why beven will never recommend using his stuff in an mbx tube.  Beven designed his spring and follower to work in a tube (sti, svi, sps) within a certain spec width; that correlates with the dimensions of the double stack of rounds for the caliber designed for that tube.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Cchance315 said:

Has anyone tried to tune the MBX follower like described in the Atlas Gunwork video to see.if that works I sent my mags back to MBX was told they were fine and they have never has an issue with the mags funny have 6 factory mags that I have never touched and never had and issue and 6 MBX mags not one can we get to run well in my DVC limited 

I bent my stock spring and cleaned up the follower and it worked fine for 9mm. But would jam or roll with my 38super.  The feedlips also were super undersized from what is recommended for STI tubes.  I had to open them up to feed my 38super as it was too tight.  

Tube is too wide internally which is affecting the double stack to single stack transition area.  That area would need to be squeezed in, keeping the tube square as well.

If you are not mechanically inclined don't attempt it.

18 hours ago, taco2000 said:

When I use the stock grams follower and spring in MBX tube, I got occasionally bullet noise dive at the feed ramp. anyone know how to fix this issue?

thanks,

Make sure the feed lips are adjusted correctly before you try anything more drastic...

On 4/5/2017 at 5:45 PM, Cchance315 said:

Has anyone tried to tune the MBX follower like described in the Atlas Gunwork video to see.if that works I sent my mags back to MBX was told they were fine and they have never has an issue with the mags funny have 6 factory mags that I have never touched and never had and issue and 6 MBX mags not one can we get to run well in my DVC limited 

I tuned mine according to the Atlas recommendations. I have no problem using stock MBX followers. I use both 140 and 170 mm tubes (I bought all them before the 155's came out, dammit) I'm shooting them in a Trubor

16 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Make sure the feed lips are adjusted correctly before you try anything more drastic...

Thanks for reminding me that, can you confirm for 38sc, the feed lip should be .355-.360 as altas gunworks described in their video?

9 hours ago, taco2000 said:

Thanks for reminding me that, can you confirm for 38sc, the feed lip should be .355-.360 as altas gunworks described in their video?

Not shooting 38sc...  Don't know if it could be different from 9mm...

I have the Dawson magazine tuning kit and use his numbers for 9mm and 40...  You also get the good pliers for opening up the magazine feed lips...  The ones Adam uses in the Atlas videos...  also the mandrel to close the magazine lips...

On 4/8/2017 at 11:50 AM, RaylanGivens said:

Not shooting 38sc...  Don't know if it could be different from 9mm...

I have the Dawson magazine tuning kit and use his numbers for 9mm and 40...  You also get the good pliers for opening up the magazine feed lips...  The ones Adam uses in the Atlas videos...  also the mandrel to close the magazine lips...

Thanks Ray, I just ordered the Dawson tuning kit.