Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super Accurate Eggleston Munitions .401 Cal 180gr Bullets

CHA-LEE

I recently switched to Eggleston Munitions coated .401 caliber 180gr bullets. These bullets are super accurate. My accuracy baseline up until this point were Zero 180gr FMJ bullets as they always produced very good accuracy. The Zero bullets have now been displaced by the Eggleston Munitions bullets as the new accuracy standard. Shown below is a picture of my 5 shot group off hand at 10 yards using a five inch Limited gun. This was using the Eggleston Munitions .401 caliber 180gr bullets. I have never been able to produce an all rounds touching group at 10 yards using the Zero bullets. I have gotten the Zero's close to all rounds touching but never quite there. Another interesting observation while doing load testing with the Eggleston Munitions bullets is that they require 8% less powder than Plated bullets and 10% less powder than Jacketed bullets to achieve the same velocity. If you are looking for super accurate bullets give the Eggleston Munitions .401 caliber 180gr bullets a try. PM me for a 10% off coupon code for the Eggleston Munitions bullets. 

58af4256af074_Eggleston5ShotGroup.thumb.JPG.3d2e835e501ae8794546b59463bc8c22.JPG

Load Data

Bullet - Eggleston Munitions .401 Caliber 180gr

Powder - Nobel Sport Prima SV 4.1gr or Winchester Super Target 4.5gr

Primer - Winchester Small Pistol

Brass - Mixed Range Brass

OAL - 1.165"

Crimp - 0.420"

Average Velocity - 940 - 950fps

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have not shot them off of a bench but have shot them off hand at longer distances. The accuracy still remains at 25-30 yards from my testing. 

These bullets are the most accurate ones I have ever used.

I've shot their .357 147gr pills out of my 9mm 1911 with very good results as well. I am less pleased with the QC compared to other brands though, I've had several bullets missing large areas of coating and smashed half bullets and things. And the coating seems thinner than some other brands I've tried. But surprisingly less smokey than some others, so maybe it's a good thing haha.

Either way, they are cheap and very accurate. [emoji108]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Cha-Lee  your info has always been a great help.

I've seen lots of groups like that from Bayou also and even with the discount their priced a little better with Shipping etc.

the great thing is that there is another good bullet company for us to choose from.

The Wife will like that there is PURPLE bullets available from them LOL

Tear em up this year Charlie!

• 2 weeks later...

I worked up my own load data by starting with a smaller charge and gradually bumping it up until it safely made major all the while looking for over pressure issues.

Given that most load data is based on SAAMI spec OAL for .40, which is too short for most 2011's, you are pretty much on your own on figuring it all out anyway.

On 3/20/2017 at 0:53 AM, CHA-LEE said:

But can you get those other brands in three different sizes per bullet type/weight and in a variety of colors?

Bayou has 3 + colors and will size to your request, but the note in the memo box what size you want when ordering

• 1 month later...

Got some samples and loaded with N320. Shot + Chronoed them along with ACME. At 25 yards, I did not find any difference in accuracy and under a same charge, the average velocity came out the same. The StDev was 6.56 as opposed to 10.12 w/ ACME, though.

The profile is different (40cal,180 FP) w/ a larger flat and straight ogive, so none of them passed my EGW gage at 1.1.30" while they all cleared my barrel. I need to shorten the COL, which I do not really feel good about as it is already at 1.130" w/ ACME.

The coating seems a little thinner and there is a parting line of the coating and a impression of the plunger on the bottom. Interesting. 

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

I had some Prima SV (awesome powder!), so I went ahead and ordered a sample of the EM 401's.  Been working up a new load and have tested with Blue Bullets, Bayou Bullets, ACME bullets (180 and 200's), Precision Black Bullets, Zero Bullets, and Xtreme bullets.  The two finalists for what I will continue to load are ACME 200's over Prima SV or EM 180 .401's over Prima SV.  Many of these produced good results with either my limited gun(CK Arms Thunder 5.5") OR my wife's limited gun(RIA Pro Match), but those are the only two that have worked excellent in both.  Accuracy-wise, they both seem great and are delivering better results than I expected at the beginning of this experiment.  At this point, I'm down to splitting hairs between recoil impulses.

I'll be testing them head to head when I can to make my final decision, but I do find myself wishing that EM would make some 200's.  Funny thing is, based on appearance/QC impressions only, ACME and EM were the two that I assumed would be eliminated early on from the get-go.  I was wrong; Both seem to deliver where it counts.  Obviously, there is no one load to rule them all, but I think CHA-LEE is on to something here.

Edited by fbzero

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/14/2017 at 8:27 PM, jaep1911 said:

Got some samples and loaded with N320. Shot + Chronoed them along with ACME. At 25 yards, I did not find any difference in accuracy and under a same charge, the average velocity came out the same. The StDev was 6.56 as opposed to 10.12 w/ ACME, though.

The profile is different (40cal,180 FP) w/ a larger flat and straight ogive, so none of them passed my EGW gage at 1.1.30" while they all cleared my barrel. I need to shorten the COL, which I do not really feel good about as it is already at 1.130" w/ ACME.

The coating seems a little thinner and there is a parting line of the coating and a impression of the plunger on the bottom. Interesting. 

Cheers

Follow up - I got pounds of Vectan Ba 9.5 (new batch) to save some money, so needed to develop a new charge for major. I have been using N320 at 4.6 grains (COL 1.130") with ACME 180 bullets. Shot three different charge groups and the result was interesting. The shots with Eggleston bullets (180) came out faster than those with ACME and it is statistically different. The difference is approx 15 fps (2~3PF). The bullet length is pretty much identical while Eggleston bullets are about 0.002" longer.

I might buy more from Eggleston. 

BTW, the new batch of Ba 9.5 is slower than the old batch that I had tested. I would need 0.5~ grains more, compared to N320.

image001.jpg

Edited by jaep1911

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I load .40 (and minor 9mm) using Prima V.  What's the change/difference with the SV? 

BTW, my Prima V and N320 loads (both .40 and 9mm) vary only by a few tenths of a grain to get the same velocity.  Which is one reason I'm liking 'V' so much.

I tried Prima V and was getting super flattened primers when pushing the bullets just past 165 power factor. I think Prima V is a little too fast for .40 Major. It would probably work awesome for .40 Minor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2017 at 5:24 PM, CHA-LEE said:

I tried Prima V and was getting super flattened primers when pushing the bullets just past 165 power factor. I think Prima V is a little too fast for .40 Major. It would probably work awesome for .40 Minor.

wait, wut? just making sure this isn't a typo. Vectan load data shows that prima SV is faster than prima v, so your observation confuses me. We have run many thousands of rounds of 172-ish pf coated 180 bullets with 4.2-ish grains of prima v, but I'm down to only a couple pounds so planning a big powder order after burning man.

On 8/3/2017 at 0:13 PM, CrashDodson said:

Anyone tried both SV and 9.5 for .40 major and compare the two?

I have tried prima v and experimented a little with ba 9.5. I need over a half grain more 9.5 to make major (4.2 gr, vs 4.9 or so). I didn't (yet) load enough of the 9.5 to really judge accuracy and recoil impulse and cleanliness, but the prima v seems to be accurate enough (2" groups freehand at 15 yards, which is about as good as i can shoot).

Planning on trying SV soon, just trying to decide if I want a few lbs or a truckload.

16 hours ago, motosapiens said:

wait, wut? just making sure this isn't a typo. Vectan load data shows that prima SV is faster than prima v, so your observation confuses me. We have run many thousands of rounds of 172-ish pf coated 180 bullets with 4.2-ish grains of prima v, but I'm down to only a couple pounds so planning a big powder order after burning man.

You are correct, Prima V is slower than Prima SV. I still stand behind my observations of "More pressure issues" seen on the primers using V verses SV.

Here's a picture of my primers shot from a TSO .40 and loaded with 4.3gr Prima V, Bayou 180 at 1.11 OAL.  These chrono at 950 on average, which gives me an average PF of 171.

I took the picture below to show how firing pin spring weight impacted primer appearance, however looking at these again from a 'flattened' primer perspective, I'm not seeing any signs of over pressure.  Am I missing something?

IMG_0137.thumb.JPG.0397cf039875cfa7f3ff8f07ce1e4475.JPG

Here's another picture, same load of Prima V, same gun. The edges of the primers are still curved/rounded.  At least to me they appear that way.

IMG_0159.JPG.bb3951d70f71ace7e37c1d56bf2f0de6.JPG

I've got some SV on the shelf.  Maybe this winter I'll work up a load with this powder.  Although, I did hear a 'rumor' that Grafs was going to stop carrying the Vectan/Noble Sport line of powders...not sure if there's any truth to this or not....

Edited by muncie21