Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm open CFE pistol?

3djedi

I'm new to 9mm major. Let's get that out there right now.....     I have almost 20lbs of CFE pistol that's been sitting in my basement for close to 2 years I bet. I've heard some say that it might work for open buy I can't really find more than a few hits from searches and they are from 2014.  Does anyone actually use the stuff for open? Is it recommended?  Or should I leave this stuff in the basement and use a different powder? 

Look at a burn rate chart and you will find that CFE is about the same as HS6 and WAC. I know some use it in 38 Super but only a few. It is a fairly fast burning powder for Open compared to N105 or AA#7. CFE may or may not generate enough gas to work your comp. Experiment with a few loads to see how it performs in your gun.

Edited by 191138sc

I use 7.6gr of cfe pistol with 124gr montana gold hp. Gives me 175pf in STI DVC OPEN. Takes this much to make my comp work well. I also found cfe to be almost identical to autocomp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Bullets said:

In my testing autocomp required slightly less powder to achieve the same power factor as cfe.

Same here, CFE and AC are identical when loading minor PF, same charge weight equals the same velocity, but when I got into major loads the CFE fell back a bit on speed. Also I didn't like the " feel" compared to AC, not something I couldn't adjust to, but different none the less. I have a good supply of both powders so the CFE had been relegated to backup status and for making minor loads for my wife's gun. If AC didn't exist I'd probably be using CFE for everything.

8lb autocomp (Small).jpg

I'm estimating that I will hit 6.8 to 7.0g of CFE with a 125g blue bullet @1.150 to get around 170PF.

Do you think I should start at 6.0g and work up from there? Maybe like 6.0, 6.2, 6.4......etc

Or should I start lower? How would you do it?

I'm using CFE, 125G RN Blue, S&B spp, and mixed brass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, 3djedi said:

I'm estimating that I will hit 6.8 to 7.0g of CFE with a 125g blue bullet @1.150 to get around 170PF.

Do you think I should start at 6.0g and work up from there? Maybe like 6.0, 6.2, 6.4......etc

Sounds like a prudent plan

Just checking but you know you need a chrono right? Just loading up the rounds and shooting them won't yield much without a chrono to measure the velocity. 

What's a chrono?

11 hours ago, 3djedi said:

That's what I did, and those are pretty much my results. My current load is 6.6gr CFE with a 124, and it makes 169pf. Only reason I don't load hotter is because I'm shooting a Glock and don't want to push it too hard. CFE doesn't make a great deal of gas, so keep testing until you see pressure signs, and pay attention to how well the comp is working. You might find that a hotter load performs much better. After all, a little more recoil is okay if your gun is shooting flat. 

8a44d456981ce601a5fd4823cbe6b053.jpg

Tested some loads today. Gun cycled and ran everything just fine. I noticed a bit of cratering at about 170PF.

This is Blue bullets    125g RN @ 1.125"  and CFE Pistol. 

Edited by 3djedi

I think I will test some more around 6.4 or 6.5g... Seemed to run pretty good right there.  Here's a picture of the brass. Does everything look ok? I don't have any experience with high pressure signs. I believe there is some "cratering" but how does it look to you guys?