Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Measuring OAL 38 Super not Comp

redfisher

46 minutes ago, redfisher said:

they measure OAL case corner to bullet corner as opposed to flat top to bottom

Jeff, that technique is called CCL (corner to corner length).    :P

OAL is a standard way of measuring seating depth.

Guess you could use other techniques, but WHY?

Just now, Hi-Power Jack said:

Jeff, that technique is called CCL (corner to corner length).    :P

OAL is a standard way of measuring seating depth.

Guess you could use other techniques, but WHY?

I'm having a nose dive issue I'm trying to track down and I was trying to narrow it down to an OAL issue. it's 38 Super (not Comp) and the OAL is very different measured the normal way vs corner to corner. I've always used the normal way, but the person I was talking to over the weekend had been talking to Bevin (Grams) how had told him to use corner to corner.

4 hours ago, dvc4you said:

Supercomp, but it doesn't matter if it is super or supercomp, the difference is just the rim.

But that rim can get locked in front of another one potentially causing it to drag in front because it's too long.

1 hour ago, redfisher said:

But that rim can get locked in front of another one potentially causing it to drag in front because it's too long.

Please clarify this. Are you suggesting that the rim of the underlying round can get in front of the rim of the overlying round?

45 minutes ago, superdude said:

Please clarify this. Are you suggesting that the rim of the underlying round can get in front of the rim of the overlying round?

I have seen in my Mags where either top or the bottom rims fall in front of each other causing the nose to drag. this is the whole reason that Super comp was designed. I shot 38 super in a caspian Hi-Cap for years with no issues. I'm just trying to track down why I'm get 2-3 nose dives in 80 - 100 rounds.

This is from another thread on the first page of OPEN "Magazine problems".

Hello,

The Max OAL of a STI magazine is 1.250. With 38 Super, if you load shorter than 1.240, you can get rim lock.

Edited Monday at 02:38 PM by dawsonprecision

Here's what happens: the rim of the upper round sits in the extractor groove of the underlying round. With the semi-rimmed 38 Super, it protrudes farther in the extractor groove than rimless cases. It feels like the rim of the top round is behind the rim of the underlying round, but this virtually impossible. 

Nosedive is normal in single column magazines, and it can be an issue in some double column magazines. The rimless Super Comp can improve the smoothness of feeding compared to the semi-rimmed cases. But the Super Comp still have a mini-rim and it does drag.  http://38super.net/Pages/Brass.html

Check your magazines with several rounds in them and look for a gap between the top round and the one under it.  If there is a gap, the top round will nosedive a bit. 

Here is an article for reference. http://americanhandgunner.com/nosedive-and-feed-angle-in-the-1911-45-acp/  It discusses single column magazines, but the principle is the same and if your mags are producing any gap at all, the top round will nosedive. I've even seen measurable nosedive when there is no gap - that's how prevalent the effect of even the smallest rim can be on encouraging nosedive.

33 minutes ago, superdude said:

Here's what happens: the rim of the upper round sits in the extractor groove of the underlying round. With the semi-rimmed 38 Super, it protrudes farther in the extractor groove than rimless cases. It feels like the rim of the top round is behind the rim of the underlying round, but this virtually impossible. 

Nosedive is normal in single column magazines, and it can be an issue in some double column magazines. The rimless Super Comp can improve the smoothness of feeding compared to the semi-rimmed cases. But the Super Comp still have a mini-rim and it does drag.  http://38super.net/Pages/Brass.html

Check your magazines with several rounds in them and look for a gap between the top round and the one under it.  If there is a gap, the top round will nosedive a bit. 

Here is an article for reference. http://americanhandgunner.com/nosedive-and-feed-angle-in-the-1911-45-acp/  It discusses single column magazines, but the principle is the same and if your mags are producing any gap at all, the top round will nosedive. I've even seen measurable nosedive when there is no gap - that's how prevalent the effect of even the smallest rim can be on encouraging nosedive.

So OAL for 38S and 38SC should be the same then, correct?

• 5 months later...