Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking of trying open

3djedi

1 minute ago, ano said:

I can reload 170 with 28 easy, so bit unsure on the 155s. if they run the 10-11 coil springs feeding could be an issue at last round, my gun depends on good mag springs :P 

I have 4x 170 and 4x 140 in mag bag, and use 1x170 and 2x140 in rig

155's run the 13 coil springs flawlessly. 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was thinking 140's would keep a consistent feel with the limited gun........ not sure if that matters though. Do guys ever shoot limited after entering the dark side?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

On the EHC 2017 (ipsc) also know as eurpean mud championship 2017, when you dropped the 170 I would just retire the entire mag, there wasnt really anywhere to clean it until after you shot that day. 

155's with 13 coils now that is interesting. what capacity? 

42 minutes ago, 3djedi said:

I can probably only get 3 mags right now from MBX. Maybe I'll get a 170, 155, and a 140

If you can only afford 3 then get 1 170, 2 140. Eventually though my recommendation is the same as a Limited setup, 3 140 on the belt and 170 from the pocket for most stages. As well, my long term recommendation would be 1 extra of each (i.e., 4 140 and 2 170s)

::ETA:: And before someone jumps on this and says "well why do you possibly need to ever carry so many rounds on your belt? What possible reason is there? That's totally stupid!" My response is unloaded starts: I can load from the rear pouch and still have an "oh shit" magazine in the second position if the first is: A, dropped during a reload; or B, knocked out of its pouch by a wall or something. Both of which I have done/had happen (though never on an unloaded start thankfully).

Edited by Gooldylocks

51 minutes ago, 3djedi said:

I can probably only get 3 mags right now from MBX. Maybe I'll get a 170, 155, and a 140

There are a zillion opinions on this.  It is open, it is your choice, and you can do what works best for you.  Whatever you are going to practice the most will become your method.  

I'm unlike most.  Most stages I am looking to start with a 155 and stick a 170 at the first available opportunity.  Only if that will not fit the stage will I start with a 170 in the gun and load later to a 155.

I use one 170, one 155 (not MBX) and two 140s.  When the MBX (my preferred mag) 155s were recently on sale for the same price as 140s, it was a no brainer.  Buy them.  Now they are back to normal price.

I agree with gooldy. if the budget only allows 3 shiny new mbx mags I would get 1 X 170 and 2 X 140's. 

I also agree that when budget allows later then the next purchase would be 1 more 170, then later add 2 more 140s for a total of 2 170s and 4 140s. (I run 2 X 170s and a bunch of 140s).

Later on if you're curious or they're on sale maybe grab a 155 to try. 

You'll be able to get 24 in the 140s and 28-30 in the 170.

I also like to start with the 170 but it's no hassle to start with a 140 and load to the 170 either. 

It's nice having the weight of 30 rounds in the gun too and it affects the balance in a good way (much like a steel grip). Many guys will run 30 rounds to start even for an 9 round short course...

What is it you guys have against 155 mm mags?  I have two and they're just fine, carry 26-27 rds.  If you think we can't reload with them, how the heck do we do 170s? 

It's about a 1/2" longer, right?

19 minutes ago, teros135 said:

What is it you guys have against 155 mm mags?  I have two and they're just fine, carry 26-27 rds.  If you think we can't reload with them, how the heck do we do 170s? 

Lol. I have nothing against them except the cost. I also haven't tried them so can't offer a solid opinion. 

As as a new open guy he can get a 170 for $15 more than the 155 and the 2 140s will be $30 cheaper than 2 155s. Also as a limited shooter the 140s will be familiar. 

I actually think the 155s are cool and will likely try one some day. As someone who doesn't have a hang up about loading a 170 I haven't been in a hurry to get some though. If I really like the 155 I'd likely ditch 140s and just run those with one or two 170s for the odd time I needed those extra 2-3 rounds. 

10 minutes ago, BeerBaron said:

Lol. I have nothing against them except the cost. I also haven't tried them so can't offer a solid opinion. 

As as a new open guy he can get a 170 for $15 more than the 155 and the 2 140s will be $30 cheaper than 2 155s. Also as a limited shooter the 140s will be familiar. 

I actually think the 155s are cool and will likely try one some day. As someone who doesn't have a hang up about loading a 170 I haven't been in a hurry to get some though. If I really like the 155 I'd likely ditch 140s and just run those with one or two 170s for the odd time I needed those extra 2-3 rounds. 

Good thoughts about the handling.  But to penny-pinch on mags by $30 in Open just doesn't make sense.  Maybe in CO...

You have a point on the cost savings. I just thought since he's just dumped a big load on the gun cost may be an issue right now. In the long run I agree he'll need more mags and the 155 is worth trying out. :)

i have 4 open guns (3x2011 1x tanfog v12) so I have a boatload of mags. 6 old style sv with my sv, 6x sti140s, 2xsti170s for the other 2 ck opens. Plus 6 more for the tanfog. I'd hate to add up how much $$ I have in mags...

5 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

You have a point on the cost savings. I just thought since he's just dumped a big load on the gun cost may be an issue right now. In the long run I agree he'll need more mags and the 155 is worth trying out. :)

i have 4 open guns (3x2011 1x tanfog v12) so I have a boatload of mags. 6 old style sv with my sv, 6x sti140s, 2xsti170s for the other 2 ck opens. Plus 6 more for the tanfog. I'd hate to add up how much $$ I have in mags...

Good idea.  For me, those are things I don't ever want to know!

I just bought 3 MBX 155's, and I ain't looking back. You don't really miss a couple of three rounds, and they are easier to handle than the 170.

Just shot a match with them and no problems what-so-ever.

Are you just using all 155's? No 140's either?