Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking of trying open

3djedi

I'm at the age where my eyes are giving me trouble and thought Open might be just the ticket and loads of fun. I really know very little about open guns but saw this one and it sounds nice. However, since the barrel is shorter, is it it going to be harder to make major with a 9mm case? What are the draw backs of a shorter barrel design? I don't want a gun that's going to be hard to keep running well. Any thoughts at all would be much appreciated!

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/CK-Arms-41-Shorty-Thunder-Open-Gun-RTS2-9mm-BlackSS-Controls-Steel-Grip-P4488.aspx

Edited by 3djedi

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, 3djedi said:

I'm at the age where my eyes are giving me trouble and thought Open might be just the ticket and loads of fun. I really know very little about open guns but saw this one and it sounds nice. However, since the barrel is shorter, is it it going to be harder to make major with a 9mm case? What are the draw backs of a shorter barrel design? I don't want a gun that's going to be hard to keep running well. Any thoughts at all would be much appreciated!

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/CK-Arms-41-Shorty-Thunder-Open-Gun-RTS2-9mm-BlackSS-Controls-Steel-Grip-P4488.aspx

Wwwckarms.com or shootersconnection.com

I would not want a 9 Major gun that short, personally. I would contact them and see what loads they can recommend that make PF and see if you are willing to accept that limitation.

I just got an LSI SS, which is a 5" mid-length 9 major and the balance and dot tracking is perfect for me. It already takes a fairly heavy and compressed charge to make PF at that length (albeit with 3 popple holes) at 9.3 grs of HS6 with a 115 Precision Delta.

You have other options.  If you have a Production gun you an mount an optic on it and shoot in Carry Optics, 9mm Minor.  I switched to Open for the same reason as you.  Unlike you, I bought my gun before Co was a real thing.

BTW, if I were going to spend $4400 on a gun like you are looking at, I'd call Adam at Atlas Gunworks.  For the same money he will build you a true custom gun.  There are other excellent smiths that can do the same.  There is no reason to buy a pre-built semi-custom gun., unless you are in a hurry and can't wait 12+ weeks.

Just posted a like new 9 major at a price that is less than most.  I do have to agree on the short 9 major, or any shorter open gun.  The advantage is just not worth it.  There is a reason all of your top shooters are shooting long pistols.  It is like using a short stick or a long stick to lift something.  Get more done with the long stick.

I personally wouldn't go the shorty. It would make a sweet steel challenge gun where you want a shorter/lighter gun and are shooting minor. 

The 5inch gun I believe is the way to go. Ck make that same gun in 5inch. It's expensive but you get a lot for your $. 

Take a look at what else is around. Atlas gunworks I believe have an open model now for not much more $. Consider a limcat which 'may' be sub $5k too. Akai and sv are likely a fair bit more $ for a similarly optioned gun. 

I have the regular 5 inch ck open and I'm happy with it so far. 

If you have money to burn you can try anything. But if not, I would definitely try to shoot someone's carry optic gun, and hopefully borrow it for one match.

I personally think this new division will be extremely popular for people with older eyes, or just shooters sick of iron sights. AND now they are talking about no more 10rd. limit?

It's poor man's minor open.

If you have money to burn you can try anything. But if not, I would definitely try to shoot someone's carry optic gun, and hopefully borrow it for one match.

I personally think this new division will be extremely popular for people with older eyes, or just shooters sick of iron sights. AND now they are talking about no more 10rd. limit?

It's poor man's minor open.

I bought a carry optics gun and was dazzled by the dot. But I love the feel and trigger of my 2011 limited gun. That's why I'm thinking go all out for the open gun and major scoring to boot!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I'm going to buck the trend here and say that as long as the barrel isn't ported, it won't be too hard to make major.  It'll probably be similar to a pistol with a longer barrel that has barrel ports.  

My two 'full length' 9 major pistols from two different well-known smiths are actually only ~4.5" long.  One has 4 small poppleholes and the other doesn't.  Most of the time, they're only about 2PF different with the same loads.  

With that said, unless you can try a 4" and a 5" bbl before you buy, I would agree that the longer barrel is probably the safest way to go.  I wouldn't shy away from a good deal on a shorter pistol, either.  

I would contact CK Arms and ask what is there thoughts on the shorty model. I know most builders build the shorty for steel and mostly to use minor loads. My opinion is, the full size gun would be much better for USPSA with major loads. Recently went through similar studies and I sold couple of guns and just ordered a Phantera from Julian.  Good luck with your decision

Edited by Hunter1998

Thanks kneelingatlas, it is a new pistol and it is a extremely accurate pistol.  The color may scare some folks , but that could be changed very easy.  I decided when I had the pistol built, that I did not want the holes in the barrel, but had the slide cut for the holes if they were to be added down the road.  It is very flat shooting and I think the 5" is the better choice.  3djedi , you will not be disappointed in a long gun.  A lot of people like the smaller C-More, but the larger C-More has the better track record for reliability.  Again, look at what the top shooters are using.

I have both the Slideride C-More and the RTS2v4.  The Slideride eats expensive batteries very quickly.  It sits higher over the bore and you have to do a lot of hold over/under at ranges closer or farther than your zero range.  It has a big glass and is easy to see through, but it gets dirty easily.

The v4 version of the RTS2 has all the longevity issues worked out.  The optical coating is better and more contrasty.  It sits lower above the bore.  Batteries last seemingly forever.  Windage and Elevation adjustments are much more precise, and the lock, especially the windage lock, is better.  It is more expensive.  I'll be slide mounting an RTS2v4 on my new Open gun, as well as my Steel Challenge 9mm 1911 and 22LR.

Don't think about it. Do it.

I was out there today running around like a crazy person shooting Open/Major, and having a blast (pun intended).

I'm 70 years old, but for a few seconds during each stage I was 25 again.

Of course I'm home from the range now, and feel like an semi has backed over me, but what the heck, I'll heal up and be ready for the next match. :D

6 minutes ago, MikieM said:

Don't think about it. Do it.

I was out there today running around like a crazy person shooting Open/Major, and having a blast (pun intended).

I'm 70 years old, but for a few seconds during each stage I was 25 again.

Of course I'm home from the range now, and feel like an semi has backed over me, but what the heck, I'll heal up and be ready for the next match. :D

That's awesome! 

Are the CZ Czechmate's worth looking at or stick with the 2011 platform? 

They are nice. You already had a TS, didn't you? Same gun, but open version, so it has similar strengths and weaknesses. Have to load shorter than a 2011. Heavy. Reliable (mostly-- the big sticks can be a frustrating deal).

I would get a 2011 since that's what you are shooting now. I would probably get a full size gun, but a short gun still isn't that awful to make PF with (especially with a KKM in it, they are kind of notoriously fast). Those guns are expensive at 4400 bucks, you could be nearly into a limcat, Atlas, etc for that much. But no wait, so you have to weigh that.

I like the RTS2 1000% more than the sliderides. They suck.

They are nice. You already had a TS, didn't you? Same gun, but open version, so it has similar strengths and weaknesses. Have to load shorter than a 2011. Heavy. Reliable (mostly-- the big sticks can be a frustrating deal).

I would get a 2011 since that's what you are shooting now. I would probably get a full size gun, but a short gun still isn't that awful to make PF with (especially with a KKM in it, they are kind of notoriously fast). Those guns are expensive at 4400 bucks, you could be nearly into a limcat, Atlas, etc for that much. But no wait, so you have to weigh that.

I like the RTS2 1000% more than the sliderides. They suck.

Thanks....... nope never tried a TS. Had a elite limited that was nice. I like the look of the EAA Gold Team but all those holes scare me a little lol.

Do 9mm 124g coated blue bullets work for 9mm major? Have a bunch of those already. Also have about 18lbs of CFE Pistol sitting here. I was hoping those two would work for the time being.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

CFE is similar to autocomp, so the powder is ok.  As far as hi-tec bullets, in an open gun it seams to be a combination of preference & barrel setup.  Shouldn't be any harm in working up a blue bullet load, but I've always stuck with hollow point bullets in my open guns.  I run hi-tec in every other division, but have steered away from this with open to reduce possibility of leading in the comp and excessive smoke (compared to HP).