Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NAS cases for 9 major

Dink

Shellshock  Technologies has a new cartridge case called NAS. Among other things, it is supposed to create the same velocity at a lower pressure. If I used them for my open 9mm major gun would I have to load hotter to get the comp to work?  

1 hour ago, Dink said:

1.  it  creates the same velocity at  lower pressure.

2.  If I used them for my open 9mm major gun would I have to load hotter to get the comp to work?  

1.  WOW.   How do they do that?  Same dimensions as the standard 9mm case to fit the chamber, and less pressure???   Doesn't sound possible to me ....

2.  Iff true, you might be able to take advantage of different powders than are traditionally used for 9mm Major. 

I'd sure love this all to be true.    

1 hour ago, Dink said:

Supposed to be 2% more room in case. Case only weighs half as much and can tolerate much more pressure according to them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

But that doesn't equate to, " it is supposed to create the same velocity at a lower pressure. " If you make the space bigger you'll need more powder to get the same results. Same as changing oals. Shorten the round less powder for XX amount of velocity. Lengthen the round more powder for same velocity. And pressure could do anything. 

I dont understand how they can do it but the claim is +p velocities without +p pressures.
However, my basic question is if that claim is true will my comp work the same or will I have to load to a higher velocity to make it work.

6 minutes ago, Dink said:

I dont understand how they can do it but the claim is +p velocities without +p pressures.
However, my basic question is if that claim is true will my comp work the same or will I have to load to a higher velocity to make it work.

I also wouldn't fool with it for MAJOR ammo. There was just a thread about other gee whiz brass types and I don't believe they would hold up to +P++++ levels.

I just read a piece about these...look way too good to be true. Not super expensive, reloadable like 30 times, super low sd, end of bulge from unsupported chambers, and not stupid expensive...$100 for 1000 brand new, ready to load.

https://www.shellshocktechnologies.com/technology/

Other than a new set of dies, that look pretty well made, will work with brass as well, and only $99...what am I missing?

TobyJ

20 minutes ago, TobyJ said:

I just read a piece about these...look way too good to be true.

https://www.shellshocktechnologies.com/technology/

.what am I missing?

TobyJ

For me it would take a significant number of reloaders to have success over a long period of time. i.e. thousands of satisfied customers over several years.

Kind of like how we know and trust good old brass.

Edited by Sarge

On 2/16/2017 at 10:14 PM, TobyJ said:

Other than a new set of dies, that look pretty well made, will work with brass as well, and only $99...what am I missing?

Beyond what Sarge said about not being the guinea pig on something new, there's the fact that 9mm brass is basically free in a lot of places, and this stuff isn't.  You'll wind up being like the lone person at a match who shoots .38 super and has to carefully chase down all of his/her brass after each stage.  I'd much rather just wait til the match is over and pick up "enough" from the bay(s) I help tear down.

If this stuff becomes popular, that equation will change, but for now, paying extra in order to have to put in more (and more careful) work picking up cases doesn't sound terribly good to me.

Yes but the down side of picking up range brass is that i have had 4 case separations from cheap brass. Now i am seperating by headstamp to cull out the cheaper brass.

Pressure tested to 65k psi is great and all, but I wonder how many times it can take high pressures like that before failing or major deformity. I know brass cases can take 9 major pressures repeatedly.

An interesting thing to note is they claim it ejects cool to the touch. Doesn't that just mean that all of the heat from firing stays in the gun causing it to heat more quickly and stay hotter? TG for example already has a reputation for melting fiber optic front sights. I can't see how adding more heat to that equation it a good thing

I am not trying to sell anyone on these cases just for the record but they claim 40 reloads per case. The case is nickel plated stainless steel that is not supposed to deform.

21 minutes ago, Dink said:

I am not trying to sell anyone on these cases just for the record but they claim 40 reloads per case.

We know you aren't, we just like to discuss and debate things endlessly. 

I saw the 35+ reloads, but I wonder at what pressure. 9 major is pretty high pressure stuff. 35 standard loadings is well and good but if it can't be loaded hot repeatedly then it's no bueno 

Their claim is that you will have lower pressure for any given velocity, which is why I ask my original question about whether this would affect the operation of the comp.
There is a SAAMI spec for 9mm +p, 38500psi. You may have been thinking about +p+.

45 minutes ago, Dink said:

Their claim is that you will have lower pressure for any given velocity, which is why I ask my original question about whether this would affect the operation of the comp.
There is a SAAMI spec for 9mm +p, 38500psi. You may have been thinking about +p+.

Or +P+++ in the case of 9MAJOR. Lol

:)

1 hour ago, Dink said:

He said +p velocity isn't a thing. There is no SAAMI spec for velocity. Velocity is vastly different than pressure...

Edited by js1130146

• 1 year later...

Cases after 6 or 7 reloads shot in an indoor range. Shot from open gun. Metal is starting to flake off.  Seems to be more of a cosmetic issue. The case bodies are still perfect. The case have been tumbled once or twice. Most of the time case was just cleaned off with dish soap and water.  Gonna send this to the manufacture to see what they say.

3nas.jpg

15 minutes ago, mfizzy said:

It is easy to see when a case is no good. That was done by the die not being set up properly. The press pulled the case out of the die body instead of the spring pushing the case out.

damaged head.jpg

What spring?