Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flashlights for i d p a

1911vm

• 1 month later...

I like this one. 

https://www.amazon.com/SureFire-Tactical-Single-Output-Flashlight-tailcap/dp/B009F7J8RA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485719975&sr=8-1&keywords=surefire%2Bg2x%2Btactical%2Bflashlight&th=1

One function, no worries about setting off strobe or dim light. Semi-grippy shell.  I added a couple of rubber O-rings around it where I grip it (between first two fingers) so I always grip in same place. Get the Tactical version for single brightness, the Pro is two-step.

Disclaimer: I shot my first "in the dark" match last weekend, so my opinion is unqualified. But this is the internet. :-)

Edited by NewColonial
Incorrect link.

I use the nitecore p12 light. The similar Fenix pd35 is also excellent. They have tail switches for on and off and usb charging.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

local cub does low light- no light  another club full on night match.

weapon mounted light is most accurate and time effective,  but that is not the question

i've observed that the brightest isn't necessarily the best.

if you have a smokey load with little to no circulation you will create a blinding white cloud with light

after your eyes accommodate for low light the brighter light creates a greater "shock factor" often increasing time for eyes to focus.

when shooting in close quarter, ports , between barrels the light spill from flash light creates a blinding wall of light

if you shoot the on off technique then a good large switch is king here......

try different lumens brighter is not always better, length and width to accommodate your shooting style  don't forget back up flashlight and wrist strap

Note that weapon mounted flashlights and the use of a wrist strap are both prohibited by IDPA rules.

8.8.4 Flashlights
Only hand held lights may be used in IDPA competition. For Physically Disabled shooters, refer to Physically Disabled Shooters Section.
Lights may not be attached to the shooter’s hand, wrist, or arm in any fashion.
Rings or straps that go around any part of the shooter’s body (finger, palm, wrist, etc.) are not allowed. Lanyards may be present, but may not be used.
Police and military personnel using the Duty Gear Exemption with a firearm mounted light may not activate the mounted light, and are otherwise subject to the same hand held flashlight usage rules as other competitors. See rule 3.17.

10 hours ago, NewColonial said:

Note that weapon mounted flashlights and the use of a wrist strap are both prohibited by IDPA rules.

8.8.4 Flashlights
Only hand held lights may be used in IDPA competition. For Physically Disabled shooters, refer to Physically Disabled Shooters Section.
Lights may not be attached to the shooter’s hand, wrist, or arm in any fashion.
Rings or straps that go around any part of the shooter’s body (finger, palm, wrist, etc.) are not allowed. Lanyards may be present, but may not be used.
Police and military personnel using the Duty Gear Exemption with a firearm mounted light may not activate the mounted light, and are otherwise subject to the same hand held flashlight usage rules as other competitors. See rule 3.17.

good to know   i was told that idpa does not recognize night match,   nor were they enforcing rule @ club match, not official match

The local match may not be official, IDPA will sanction dark matches.  The Virginia Indoor Regional is 5 stages in the dark, 5 in the light. Tier 2 match recognized by IDPA.

http://www.idpa.com/compete/competitiondetails/26956

It's best for competitors if local matches follow the rules.

Edited by NewColonial

Just an opinion. IDPA rules, however imperfect, are intended to apply some defensive fundamentals in a way that can be standardized for competition. I think the rules, in general, are designed to create some level field of play to use for "judging" i.e. scoring. Comparatively few people carry weapon mounted lights. Not all guns can have lights attached, and holsters are limited. At best, they'd need a separate division it would seem. 

It's a game, games have rules. 

Just like there have been advances in slide mounted optics that allow them to be used more than in the past when the 'founding principles' of idpa were first voiced there has been a corresponding advance in weapon mounted lights. The old arguments against either I think are more and more irrelevant.

I know a good number of people who have a light on their primary self defense and/or ccw pistol. I'd see no problem with allowing wml's in the game.

• 3 months later...