Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Testing springs?

harleyfan

Yes,

The spring tester from Secure Firearm Products does this.

it is available directly from SFP Here or from Dillon Precision or Brownells

It will test most springs.  However, it will not test the smaller diameter Glock springs.  They are working on a fix for this problem.

David

Yes,

It will test most springs.  However, it will not test the smaller diameter Glock springs.  They are working on a fix for this problem.

David

Excellent! I have a bunch of springs that I need to check. Great info. Thanks!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Steel rod

thread the end for a bolt and washer

big washer on the other end

Drill hole in rod to put a loop of wire

put spring on , drop washer over rod, connect your scale

put it against the open jaws of your vice and pull against the big washer that went over the spring.

compress the desired amount and look at scale.

After all of that, throw your old springs away and buy new ones and keep them in the bag so you know what weight they are. LOL

Yes:

- galvanized pipe nipple 3" long; 1/2" OD and 5/16" ID (Glock capture screw is about 1/4" dia).

- cap one end (or not, but it helps having something to press against with your thumb)

- center your captured spring on your old lady's bathroom scale when she's busy elsewhere

- place the base end on the scale and push the screw end into the nipple until it bottoms out on itself (careful not to add to the bottomed out weight reading)

- read the scale (you might want to "calibrate" the scale first using a spring of known rating; I didn't have to with a cheap bathroom scale that was 20 years old; she's still looking for it)

I found myself with many good springs; just got careless when changing them out.   It's easy to identify spring weights within 2#; no problem with 11#, 13#, 15#, 17#, etc.   Hope this works for you!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I made a spring tester with scraps and cutoffs around the shop for free, similar to what sx2gl35 did.  A washer, 2" x 8" piece of 3/4" plywood, a short section of 1/4" brass rod and a 2" x 12" x 3/4" piece of oak is all I needed.  Drill a 1/4" hole in the center of the plywood and fit the brass rod in.  Drill a 1/4" hole in the middle of the piece of oak.  Put your spring over the brass rod, put the washer on the rod also and put the oak "handle" on.  Put the whole assembly on a kitchen or bathroom scale, zero it, press down and note the poundage.  If you mark the brass rod with the compressed spring length in your gun, you'll get a more accurate reading.  The bathroom scale is within 0.5lbs and the kitchen scale will get you within 0.1 oz.  I like the bathroom scale the best because nobody misses it.  :D

2017-03-16_19-48-29.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 9 February 2017 at 3:40 AM, ffl said:

Yes,

David

This is a must have for your spares bag....I got one when they first came on the market, I check mainsprings and recoil springs as I feel the need. 

. I used PVC pipe and a 5/16 8" bolt. Works great. Tested 4 springs and they all came out on the money. I put the ruler on the side to allow me to see the binding size. For the springs I used that is 1.65" You just pull til you see the edge of the spring hit 1.65 and read the scale.

post-22108-0-14238400-1420513125_thumb.jpgpost-22108-0-93129600-1420513144_thumb.jpgpost-22108-0-74512500-1420513131_thumb.jpg