Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

H335/ 55gr= fast for 18" 1/8twist, rifle gas?

ffgats

I still have a couple of my old reloads using these components , (H335 powder, 55gr fmjbt) which was for my 14.5" bb, mid gas 1/7 twist, Rebarelled my rifle to a 18" 1/8twist with a rifle gas system. Maybe a slower powder would be more approriate? , any recommendation please. max of 300 yards shooting . thanks

btw, also have a couple of 748 powders at hand.

My standard load is 25.5 of H335 with either a Hornady 55 V Max, or Nosler 55 Ballistic Tip. Those loads are used out to 550 yards that is common at Rocky Mountain 3 Gun.

My AR has an 18 inch Black Hole Weaponry, 8 inch twist barrel. 300 yards is not a problem with this load.

forgot to mentioned its a 1/8 wylde chamber, my only concern is since its a fast burning powder might not be the best for a rifle lenght 18"' bbl. thanks, once spring is here I can try shooting at 200-300 yrs, only available right now is a 50yrd indoor.  thanks

I use the same load as Dan (above) 25.5 of H-335 with 55gr Hornady SP in an 18" barrel, 1 in 8 twist with Wylde chamber and it works very well.  This is in LC cases with Tula KVB-556M primers.  Overall Length is 2.252 which is max for mags and puts the base of bullet even with juncture of neck and shoulder.  This leaves the cannelure about 0.099 out of neck but the bullet doesn't touch the rifling with this loading.

You might have trouble with the rifle cycling reliably, depending on other setup on your rifle. I have a rifle length gas system on my 18" barrel. There isn't much barrel left after the gas port in this case. H335 burns faster and didn't build enough pressure. I use W748 or CFE223 for my 55 gr bullets in that rifle. Benchmark gave me the same problem.

If you have a lightened BCG it would perhaps alleviate the issue I had.

I figured this out while prairie dog hunting. My H335 and Benchmark loads quit cycling all the way after about 20-30 rounds. Manually cycled the action until I ran out of that ammo, about 150 rounds total. Stuck in a mag that had 748 and it returned to function.

12 minutes ago, loaded605 said:

You might have trouble with the rifle cycling reliably, depending on other setup on your rifle. I have a rifle length gas system on my 18" barrel. There isn't much barrel left after the gas port in this case. H335 burns faster and didn't build enough pressure. I use W748 or CFE223 for my 55 gr bullets in that rifle. Benchmark gave me the same problem.

If you have a lightened BCG it would perhaps alleviate the issue I had.

I figured this out while prairie dog hunting. My H335 and Benchmark loads quit cycling all the way after about 20-30 rounds. Manually cycled the action until I ran out of that ammo, about 150 rounds total. Stuck in a mag that had 748 and it returned to function.

this is one of my concern, maybe Dan and Steve can mentioned their gas system, Thanks

btw, using a standard BCM BCG and Vltor A5 system with 6.3oz buffer, although a have a reserved A5 buffer ( H0) 3.9oz. .

this is one of my concern, maybe Dan and Steve can mentioned their gas system, Thanks

btw, using a standard BCM BCG and Vltor A5 system with 6.3oz buffer, although a have a reserved A5 buffer ( H0) 3.9oz. .

Lighter buffer/spring would also help if cycling became became a problem. I took the cheap route with slower powder because my barrel is heavy and lighter internals probably wouldn't help recoil enough to justify cost. If you lighten all the internals you may need to add an adjustable gas block too, if you are getting too much gas.

I run 55gr FMJ's w/ 19.5 grs of 335 through an 18" Nordic barrel(1:8 twist; rifle-length gas) without issues. Take off the tin foil hats and shoot the damn ammo. End of thread.

19.5? Haha! I'm sure your gun runs fine on that pistol load you are running, but I bet lightened internals, buffer, spring, BCG are what makes the difference. So someone "might" have an issue.

My chrono layed down on me last Fri, so no data on the loads, But my test recipe was Hornady 55 gr FMJBT over 25.5 gr H335, 2.3" OAL with CCI SRP. They were very accurate at 62 yards as the rifle range was not open. I know 62 yards is peculiar, but it's just how it worked out. I shot them out of an 18" JP CTR-02 with silent capture spring, and out of a POF, Renegade P-15, with 18" barrel. Both cycled reliably and were quite accurate.

• 4 weeks later...

25.0 gr of H335 gave me some early pressure signs in one rifle.  I settled on 24.5 for a general all purpose plinker  and it works fine in all guns.  748 I used to run around 26.0gr for the same velocity and it seemed to run slightly cooler temps. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2017 at 10:12 AM, loaded605 said:

19.5? Haha! I'm sure your gun runs fine on that pistol load you are running, but I bet lightened internals, buffer, spring, BCG are what makes the difference. So someone "might" have an issue.

Ive loaded H335 down to 19gr behind a 55gr FMJ with no issues.  Not incredibly accurate, but it did work.  Rifle was 18" barrel, rifle gas system, H buffer and M16 BCG, so full weight everything.  My go to load is 25.7gr of H335 with 55gr Hornady FMJBT's, shoots right around an inch, which for blammo is good enough.

H335 is good powder for bullets right around 55gr, give or take a bit.  Is slightly temp sensitive.  As I get to the end of my H335 though, I will be moving to CFE 223 for anything in the 55gr range, using 8208 XBR for heavier bullets.  Im doing this because I want to consolidate to just 2 powders for 223, and those 2 powders will also load 308 nicely as well in addition to the Varget I use already for some 308 loads.

I also load 25 grains of 335 with 55 grain. It shot about a palm size group at 100 yards open sights.

Was able to hit steel consistently at 300 with a red dot. It works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, adamge said:

Are you guys sure WC844 is the same as H335?  It seems like my WC844 chrono results are slower velocity than the H335 loads are reporting.

They are not the same powder. They have an approximately similar burn rate but H335 is a retail powder and 844 is commercial powder ordered to spec. If you bought 844 pull-down powder, H335 load data is a good starting point but there is no guarantee they will be the same. 

• 2 weeks later...

H335 was designed around 223/5.56, just load up a string of 10 from min charge to max and shoot them... The FMJ 55 gr tend to be less accurate than a similar Amax. So I tend to test Amax 55gr first, get an idea of the velocities vs accuracy nodes, then transfer those over to the fmj loads, again testing for pressure, velocity and accuracy. Hope this helps.