Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics - 10 round limit abolished from 2/1/17

BritinUSA

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, PatJones said:

So you're all excited that you can stuff 15-17 rounds in your factory mags now. Cool.

When someone shows up at your match with 21 round mags, you'll all be complaining about the equipment race in Carry Optics. Carry on.

Huh? Rules say max mag length is 141.25mm. Then this: 

Magazines

OFM and aftermarket magazines and base-pads may be used. Grip tape and/or skateboard tape are specifically allowed on magazines and base- pads.

What would there be to complain about?

Two points ...

- Technically, the mag length for CO is 141.25 mm ... Appendix D7, #8  (Who knows ... MAYBE 1 more round ???)

-  The 2-year cap on changes to Division if for Regular Divisions ... CO is currently a Provisional Division.  That allows them to make changes on an "as needed" basis.  Once it becomes a regular or permanent Division, THEN the two year rule under the by-laws and 90-day notice goes into effect.

Carry Optics is provisional and doesn't fall into the 2 year rule for equipment changes

During the Jan 2016 BoD meeting is was announced that it would be up for review at the Jan 2017 BoD meeting

The 140mm mags have always been allowed since 2016, with a 10 round capacity maxium, the only change was removing the capacity maxium

If you go to the website and click through the announcements the minutes, notes and presentations are all there for review

along with this that was presented during the meeting

20170121_Carry Optics Division 2016.pdf

Amusingly enough, if you think about it, this will make Carry Optics actually MORE similar to guns people actually carry, since production-type guns, with slide ride, filled to capacity, is actually what people use.  (For those few people who use them.)

Keeping the mag length the same as Limited means that this doesn't become a "only factory mags, so certain guns are better!" situation, and it keeps a rule/check set we are already used to.

I'm thinking this will probably actually make for an increase in CO shooters, really.  Someone who already has an CO-type gun won't need to buy a ton of extra mags and mag pouches (yeah, I know the rest of us still will, but we are atypical) and can come shoot a match with what they've got.    I don't see CO growing as fast as PCC or anything, but I'd bet that this will help.

Slide-ride dot, full mags, production gun/gear, shooting minor?  That can probably make for a pretty fun division. 

I do think the unofficial name should change from Welfare Open to Reliable Open now, though.  :)

Had I known they were going to make this change I might not have sold my CO gun.  I'd consider getting another, but then they might change it back to 10 rounds in a few months...maybe I should wait until it's no longer provisional and they decide on final rules...

Prior to this change in the rules I had no interest in even trying CO. Now I will dust off the .40 XDm, load to minor, and give it a whirl. Since it is a 5.25, Springer makes a drop in plate that mounts to the slide, and off you go. I don't think this will have any impact on Open shooters, except to introduce new shooters to the red dot world, which if they like it will move the shooter into saving up for a true Open gun.

I think there is a vast difference in the two divisions, Open is a much more stable platform for the dot, CO means it is moving around a lot, but old eyes such as mine will be able to pick it up faster. The only additional change I would make is the power factor application, I think awarding more points for dealing with harsher recoil should always get rewarded.

To me it is a good sign the board is trying various aspects with the sport to grow it. It looks like President Foley is very determined to add more shooters, and with that effort the foresight to mandate changes sometimes can lead to some objections, but progress is always marked with controversy.

Now, who has that used red dot for sale, my bargain basement on sale to get it off the rack dot I have now will last all of 200 rounds before it goes dim.

16 hours ago, PatJones said:

So you're all excited that you can stuff 15-17 rounds in your factory mags now. Cool.

When someone shows up at your match with 21 round mags, you'll all be complaining about the equipment race in Carry Optics. Carry on.

Everyone should have at least 21 rounds. If a 140 mm mag in .40 can fit 20, I think you could easily get 23+ in 9MM.

A> Just ordered four ETS 140mm 22rd 9mm mags for Glock from Primary Arms @ $16.44 each (plus reasonable shipping - $6.66 for four mags) - that's about the only thing I need to keep shooting my current platform.

B> Just got on the list for a Glock 17 MOS at my local dealer.  When I get it I'll move everything over and sell the G19 MOS.  I have big hands and I'll trade the extra grip length now that I'm using extended mags. I used the G19 because it feels/seems faster on draw and transition being a smaller gun.  Now I'll just have to work on the same with the G17 when it comes.

C> I'd bet that a LARGE part of this revolves around the Sig 320 Romeo1 combo (which looks like an AMAZING deal) and Sig and USPSA both not wanting the "handicap your pistol by downloading mags" to deter new shooters.

Edited by mreed911

4 hours ago, mreed911 said:

C> I'd bet that a LARGE part of this revolves around the Sig 320 Romeo1 combo (which looks like an AMAZING deal) and Sig and USPSA both not wanting the "handicap your pistol by downloading mags" to deter new shooters.

The SIG P320RX as a package makes it hard to ignore the viability Carry Optics as a distinct division that is growing now and should be expected to grow for some time. The BOD did reference Shot Show and the fact that they keep seeing these guns emerge and are becoming more widespread. I don't know that SIG had any particular hand in the capacity increase but I do think it's pretty cool that the new increased capacity pistol mag for the Army will be one that just happens to be exactly 141mm in length. 

8 minutes ago, alma said:

The SIG P320RX as a package makes it hard to ignore the viability Carry Optics as a distinct division that is growing now and should be expected to grow for some time. The BOD did reference Shot Show and the fact that they keep seeing these guns emerge and are becoming more widespread. I don't know that SIG had any particular hand in the capacity increase but I do think it's pretty cool that the new increased capacity pistol mag for the Army will be one that just happens to be exactly 141mm in length. 

Were I already not invested in Glock paraphernalia I'd give this combo a serious look.

The SIG P320RX as a package makes it hard to ignore the viability Carry Optics as a distinct division that is growing now and should be expected to grow for some time.

Which is why I picked one up though I shoot a CZ in Production.

Come on Mike, I've got one that I'll sell you!

The RX is a solid package, I really like it but love production more. If this division & rule set were in place last year when I started competing, you bet your butt I'd be hard core for Open Lite.