Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Comp Recommendations - 38 Super

Big Guy

My last three builds I've used the Cheely titanium comp with a ported barrel and find the results are very satisfying.  I realize people talk like the muzzle brake ( comps ) is the last word on gun performance, but some do seem to work better than others, but In my opinion not that significant.  However, I'm using a full size gun with a 5.4 inch bull barrel and find the light weight titanium comp is great for this set up.  The Cheely comp is somewhat unusual with the ports having a V shape design, narrower at the bottom, wider at the top, but in retrospect I'm not sure if the performance is anything drastic., but again, I like the design.

I own over twenty comps the best I've tested was the lone star innovations titanium comp. I shoot 124 gr In my 38 super comp with 4 barrel holes ! My dad shoots same comp in 9 major with bad arthritis and this helped him to continue to shoot major . 

Shot all comps on the same gun using the same load at 15-18 yards then shot a two target bill drill. I did this with every comp bedell, three different akai comps , Mclearn, old and new cheely , three brazos comps and many others. Some worked ok on different open guns but through lots of testing the lone star was the most constant dot tracking ! 

I've had a few comps and so far I am a fan of the CFD comp by Binary Engineering. The LSI comp previously mentioned is based off the same design theory originated by Binary Engineering. The CFD comp does the job and reduces muzzle flip better than anything I've tried so far. The dot tracking is consistent, therefore predictable, and vertical, no figure eight or side to side bounce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have zero scientific testing other than shooting the things and the odd bit of super slo mo footage to observe gun behavior (which is also affected by the shooters grip). 

I like the combination of the cheely titanium comp with 3 popple holes. 

Ive also shot the new style Akai gill comp (this one had popple holes and a slot cut in the top of the comp) and I thought it shot nicely too. 

For me the first thing is it must be titanium. Heavy comps suck. 

I think there are are lots of good options at the moment and all work best when the rest of the 'system' (slide weight, popple holes, spring weights etc) are optimized.

The cheely supposedly had cfd work done for its design. The binary comp has published some of the cfd modeling behind its design. The Akai seems a bit 'out there' but seems very efficient and the lone star seems well received too. My choice would be one of those 4.  

I've got CFD comps in-stock, should you be interested.  Following the link to my vendor section/website.

Jared,
I re-barreled my 9 major to .38 with your comp, 5.4" KMM barrel with no holes in the barrel. Tried it with PD 124gr JHP and 9.0 gr of 3N38 chrono at 174xxx pf but the dot is dipping so I tried with 7.3 gr of Autocomp and found it's flippy but dot tracks nicer than 3N38!! What gives?

2 hours ago, jid2 said:

I've got CFD comps in-stock, should you be interested.  Following the link to my vendor section/website.

Definitively looking closer at the CFD comps.

Shipping cost to FL (zip code 33410)?

16 hours ago, b18prl said:

Jared,
I re-barreled my 9 major to .38 with your comp, 5.4" KMM barrel with no holes in the barrel. Tried it with PD 124gr JHP and 9.0 gr of 3N38 chrono at 174xxx pf but the dot is dipping so I tried with 7.3 gr of Autocomp and found it's flippy but dot tracks nicer than 3N38!! What gives?

I use Autocomp.  What I found to work best is to start with a low charge weight and work up. There is a transition where things just get harsher, without improvements to dot tracking.  This isn't the case with all powders but was with Autocomp in my experience.  So it's good to make sure you've found the sweet spot. What PF is the Autocomp charge? 

Edited by jid2

17 hours ago, b18prl said:

Jared,

If the dot is dipping (below the line of sight) as it comes down, is your recoil spring a bit too heavy?

52 minutes ago, jid2 said:

I use Autocomp.  What I found to work best is to start with a low charge weight and work up. There is a transition where things just get harsher, without improvements to dot tracking.  This isn't the case with all powders but was with Autocomp in my experience.  So it's good to make sure you've found the sweet spot. What PF is the Autocomp charge? 

Jared - Most of the conversations about the CFD comp seem to be about 38sc.  How about 9 major?  How does it work with that lesser gas volume (e.g., with 3n38 or WAC)?  Are barrel holes still recommended to reduce vertical motion?  How many, what size? 

If the dot is dipping (below the line of sight) as it comes down, is your recoil spring a bit too heavy?

I ran 10lbs spring on both loads, I thought that too but when I switched to Autocomp load it didn't dip.

Jared,
You're right on! I used 7.3 gr of WAC and was making 172-173pf then I tried 7.5 and got 175pf but felt harsher than 7.3gr.
I'm thinking about putting some barrel holes for 3N38?

I run 9mm Major and the comp works well.  I personally like two 3/16" holes in the barrel.  But that is totally a choice, it will flatten things out, but add more impulse to the hand.  Holes will only help drive the gun down, a comp will drive it down and pull forward so you choose what to do with the gas.

For my setup and Autocomp I actually found my gun to run best just a touch under 170PF.  So I think I am around 168-169PF.  Past that is was just harsh, with the dot tracking staying the same.  

17 hours ago, jid2 said:

I run 9mm Major and the comp works well.  I personally like two 3/16" holes in the barrel.  But that is totally a choice, it will flatten things out, but add more impulse to the hand.  Holes will only help drive the gun down, a comp will drive it down and pull forward so you choose what to do with the gas.

For my setup and Autocomp I actually found my gun to run best just a touch under 170PF.  So I think I am around 168-169PF.  Past that is was just harsh, with the dot tracking staying the same.  

I assume you're running 124gn bullets to get that high a powerfactor with AutoComp, 9mm major and two 3/16" poppleholes?