Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LnL AP: Problems with 357 aligning with sizing die

I am finding that straight wall pistol cases struggle to be aligned correctly with the sizing die on my LnL AP.

The cases will tip directly away from the center of the shell plate.  Most times (90% or more) the case will find it's way into the sizing die even though it's out of line a little.  It usually isn't a problem with 45 ACP and 9mm because of how short those cases are, relatively.  However, even these cases are titling, it's just not enough to cause a problem.

It's much more common with 357 magnum, being a longer case.  If the case tips too much, the mouth catches on the sizing die and won't proceed without being manually adjusted.

Before anyone says it, I am 99% sure this is *not* an indexing problem.  The shellplate is slotting into its detentes positively and staying there.  Further, if it were an indexing issue, the cases would be impacting the mouth of the die either because the case was arriving too soon (impacting the side of the die closest to the left side of the press) or would be arriving too late, and impacting the side of the die closest to the right side of the press.  That's not what's happening.  The left/right alignment is correct on the case.  The cases are visibly tilting away of the center of the shellplate.

Hornady suggested stretching the case retainer spring a bit, on the idea that it's too tight.  I will try that (haven't gotten to it yet) but wanted to know if others have had this issue?

Common problem with all brands of progressives.  Case mouth tilts a bit and catches on the edge of the carbide ring..

Both Dillon and Redding make dies specifically for progressive presses with a larger radius at the mouth to guide cases into the die. The downside is that the case may not be sized as far down as you might like.

For what it's worth I have tried just about every brand of carbide (and steel) die in 357 and 9mm except Dillon and settled for the Lee as the best compromise between sizing vs the occasional hangup.

Edited by OzzieDoc
spelling

Good to know.  I have Hornady and Lee 357 dies.  haven't used the Lee much.  Maybe I'll give it a more thorough workout.

I did find a suggestion to stretch the case retainer spring a bit.  I did and it seems to have helped at least some.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem in the LNL-AP loading .38 Special through a Lee sizing die.

I changed the sizing die to a Dillon (it has a more rounded chamfer) and it has run perfectly for years.

The Lee dies have a narrower and sharper funnel that doesn't tolerate the inherent tilt and wobble of a progressive machine as well.

• 10 months later...

Late to this party.  I have the same issue with 9mm.  Solved with a bit of Coke can and some tape.  Cut a T shape that wraps most of the way around the base of the die with the leg of the T pointing down. Cross bar of T is as wide as gap from bushing to edge of die.   Leg width is narrow 1/8-3/16".  Fold the leg so that the free end points to the die opening,  trim to length.  You should have a ramp that just touches the case before it hits the die.  Holds it straight and does not get bent because it fits the slot in the shell plate.  Took two tries to get it to work.  You can use tape or shrink tape to hold it on.  I didn't have a zip tie small enough to clear shell plate so used two wraps of tape.  I did it this way so that the die/bushing will still go in and out with the kicker installed. 

If this is not detailed enough post and I will get a pic.

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

I used to have this problem with my LNL loading 9mm.  Two things fixed it.  The first thing was a Dillon resizing die.  The die is chamfered more than most dies and is a little more forgiving.  The second thing was to add a shim under the base plate of the press.  With these shims you can adjust the distance between the shell plate and the base plate of the press.  By making the shell plate to base closer it keeps the case from tipping as much.  The link below does a great job of explaining it.  

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?144901-How-to-tune-the-Hornady-Lock-N-Load-AP-progressive-press

• 4 weeks later...

check the sub plate bolts to see of one hasn't loosened.   run the  ram  up and they are a tapered allen bolts.   mine have loosened In the past.   what I do is remove them, clean the holes and threads with contact cleaner and them use red Loctite to hold them in.

• 2 weeks later...