Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Pro Custom on my shortlist?

KrymSIX

Hey guys, so I'm looking to get into Uspsa Limited (and L10). My options are somewhat limited as I live in MA and we have a lot of really stupid restrictions. 

I can only get a new gun that is on the state "approved firearms" list. Para Pro Custom is on there so I'm thinking that could be an option. I know Para is owned by Remington now and there are some magazine issues that need to get worked out via some tinkering to make mags work. 

My big question is it worth looking at a Para pro custom as an option? Since they're no longer an active company (though they should be under warranty with remington) what prices should i be looking for? If i find a used one what should I keep an eye out for in terms of maintenance or work done on the internals? 

Thanks

I have a pro custom in 9mm. I did replace the trigger and I did replace the mag release for one from canyon creek so I can use STI mags. It has become my favorite gun to shoot. Runs 100%. STI mags work great.  I should have got one in 40.

Brad 

On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 2:57 AM, JimmyBob said:

Yes, $850 for a bare stock gun, the same red flags for buying a used 1911 (search for those, lots of good info that isn't Para specific). 

Where are you seeing that price and in stock?

Mine has not been 100%, I've suffered feed issues that I think I finally have licked. I do like the gun though, even though it took some time to sort out. I put a lighter recoil spring in and shoot .40 lite loads for steel challenge, crazy fun. To solve the feed issues I ended up replacing and tuning the extractor, adjusting the barrel link and modifying the feed ramp.

2 hours ago, Titaniumbadger22 said:

Mine has not been 100%, I've suffered feed issues that I think I finally have licked. I do like the gun though, even though it took some time to sort out. I put a lighter recoil spring in and shoot .40 lite loads for steel challenge, crazy fun. To solve the feed issues I ended up replacing and tuning the extractor, adjusting the barrel link and modifying the feed ramp.

What length OAL ammo are you shooting? Ive had great success with 1.180".

ETA: Ive also been made aware that toward the end of Para, QC was hit and miss. Guess I should consider myself lucky.

Edited by JFoley001

I have 3 different 40 Para, pro custom 16-40, older Para Canadian 16-40, Tomasie custom 16-40 and all of them run great. Just have a good running bullet profile and OAL. Parts wise there are a few specific to Para but can be easily sourced. Rest of the parts are standard 1911.  You can still find few new ones in Gunbroker although it has been lately increased. 

Now that the Tomasie was announced for remington I'm eying that if it's available soonish. Juat seems like the price isnt that far apart from what the pro customs are liating on gun broker these days. 

Thanks for all the insight