Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody use Prima V for .40?

Superpipe9

5 hours ago, muncie21 said:

I load 4.3gr of Prima V under a 180gr bullet for my TSO.

I may try working up a SV load this winter to see if it is an improvement over my existing load.

How do you like it? Smoke, accuracy, felt recoil like? What would you compare it to? Thanks for sharing. 

5 hours ago, Superpipe9 said:

How do you like it? Smoke, accuracy, felt recoil like? What would you compare it to? Thanks for sharing. 

I use PV for both 9mm (minor) and .40 (major) loads.  I have worked up loads for VV N320 and Prima V and found the PV to be comparable to N320. 

Burns as clean as N320, however a little bit more smoke.  The charge is within a few tenths or the same as N320 and the PV meters just as well on my 650.  Relative accuracy (versus bullseye type shooting) was my goal and the PV + coated bullets met this need just fine.

Now to find a vendor that has PV in stock....

I used 20-ish lbs of prima v in 9 and 40 over the last year or so. Based on this thread and prima v being out of stock, I figured I'd give prima SV a try. Shot 1000 or so rounds of sv under a 180gr coated bullet so far, and I like it. It seems to burn cleaner and meter as well or better compared to prima v. Oddly, prima SV takes a a tenth or so *more* powder for me to make PF, but it makes pf reliably with single digit SD. I think there is probably less smoke too.

On 10/30/2017 at 12:06 PM, motosapiens said:

I used 20-ish lbs of prima v in 9 and 40 over the last year or so. Based on this thread and prima v being out of stock, I figured I'd give prima SV a try. Shot 1000 or so rounds of sv under a 180gr coated bullet so far, and I like it. It seems to burn cleaner and meter as well or better compared to prima v. Oddly, prima SV takes a a tenth or so *more* powder for me to make PF, but it makes pf reliably with single digit SD. I think there is probably less smoke too.

What was your load for the prima V?

• 4 weeks later...

I loaded up some 180 gr blue bullets with 4.2g of prima V at 1.145 OAL and must say I really like them. Meters well, very accurate and I didn't notice any smoke. Made 170PF. If you guys want to try some blue bullets use (moser) and get a discount. Every bit helps. I'm really curious now if the ba 9.5 is any better 

• 3 months later...

I had to stop using the prima V because it was throwing very inconsistent. I was using 4.2g to get 170pf and after every 100 rounds I could get as high as 4.5 or as low as 3.8. That’s just crazy. I haven’t ever had a powder do that. Thought it was the powder measure so I swapped it out for another with the same results and also have switched powders just to verify and it seems fine with the other powder. Are you guys experiencing the same thing. 

Edited by Superpipe9

I had to stop using the prima V because it was throwing very inconsistent. I was using 4.2g to get 170pf and after every 100 rounds I could get as high as 4.5 or as low as 3.8. That’s just crazy. I haven’t ever had a powder do that. Thought it was the powder measure so I swapped it out for another with the same results and also have switched powders just to verify and it seems fine with the other powder. Are you guys experiencing the same thing. 
I'm using it in 9mm but I've had no issues with consistent drops in a dillon powder measure. I get single digit SDs and I haven't had to touch the adjustment for thousands of rounds.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

Has anyone used both 9.5 and SV in .40 and can tell me which one they prefer?

i prefer sv because it's cheaper and takes less powder to make pf. I couldn't really tell any significant difference when shooting.

7 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

Has anyone used both 9.5 and SV in .40 and can tell me which one they prefer?

I tested Prima V to Ba 9.5 and found that you need more Ba 9.5 powder to make the same velocity/PF as Prima V.  At that point in time, my preference would be Prima v.  However now that supplies of PV have dropped into the abyss, I'm looking for my next sub $20/lb powder.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/6/2018 at 6:26 PM, muncie21 said:

However now that supplies of PV have dropped into the abyss, I'm looking for my next sub $20/lb powder.

Looks like the major online reloading retailers have gotten a new shipment of Prima V!  I'm going to wait for a sale and stock up this time;)

Edited by muncie21