Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph Premium Kit- Quick Review

I started reloading recently and found myself wanting to collect objective data on my reloads, beyond 'ok they function' and 'feels kinda soft, snappy, etc.'.  So I started looking around at entry level (ready cheap) chronographs.  I found the Caldwell Premium Kit on Amazon for less than $100 (it has since gone up to $125'ish in 2 days since I ordered mine...sheesh) and promptly ordered it.

The premium kit comes with:

• Chrono
    Carry bag/case
    Tripod (pretty cheap/flimsy, but wasn't expecting much)
    Serial cable
    LED light kit
    Sun shades
    AC cable & battery case for the light kit

Directions and setup was super easy.  Mounted it on the tripod and was collecting data in less than 5 minutes.  Best part about this gizmo is being able to connect the chrono to a smart phone or tablet (I used an Apple 5S phone) to store your data.  The app tracks the velocity of each shot, min/max, average and std. deviation for each string of shots.  It also can collect temp/barometric pressure using GPS to store in the data file.  Once you're done shooting, just email the file to yourself and you've got all the info at your finger tips!

Can't believe I didn't think to get one of these earlier!  
628006.jpg   screen322x572.jpeg

• 3 months later...

Ok, you posted this in January...how is it holding up?  Any glitches?  Problems?  Does it still work well for you?

I'm basically looking at the very same kit over the ProChrono because it is cheaper and it comes already setup to connect to my iPhone/iPad but I'm wondering if it works well and holds up. :)  Most people already have the ProChrono, so it was nice to see someone get this, so I'm curious of your thoughts now after a few months of use with it.

Thanks!

Mat

• 2 months later...
On 5/12/2017 at 11:45 AM, R1_Demon said:

Ok, you posted this in January...how is it holding up?  Any glitches?  Problems?  Does it still work well for you?

Hi  Matt,

Just saw you post, the chrono still works as well as the day I bought it.  Looking at the app on my phone,  I've chrono'd 147 sets of groups.  Normally my groups are 10-round groups, sometimes 15.  Using 10, I've put close to 1500 rounds across the chrono.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm very happy with mine; also a big fan of the interface to my smart phone.    My main concern going in was that the indoor range I usually shoot at has fluorescent lights overhead, but the LED light kit that was included works as advertised--it allows one to get consistent measurements even under fluorescent lights.

• 2 weeks later...

I would also have to agree that mine has worked as advertised since I got it.  I have even used it with crossbow arrows going across it with great success as well.  No issues with it.  I even tried it with the LED lights on top as well while I have been outdoors and gray overcast skies and it worked just as well.  I probably didn't need to use them, but I thought I would try them out just for the heck of it.  I admit that I haven't tried it in an indoor range at all, but I did get mine to work inside the house with a NERF gun.  LOL!  (when I first bought it to see if it would work)  So, I figure that if it will work there, it should work at an indoor range as well.  LOL!