Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

walls

CrashDodson

From USPSA rules:
"Unless otherwise specified in the written stage briefing, all such barriers, walls, vision barriers and snow fence barriers will be considered to go from the  ground to the height as constructed."
If you don't want people to shoot over the wall, you build them high enough - or specify in briefing that they go up until infinity.

In IPSC:
"Unless supplemented by a shooting platform or similar, barriers of at least 1.8 meters high are deemed to extend skywards to infinity"
That's about 6'.

For construction, you use whatever works: cost is not prohibitive, it actually hampers visibility, and it isn't too heavy to move around when setting up a stage. In many places, stability in the local weather is a consideration.

Most walls I see are 4X8 rectangles made of 2X2's. They are generally about 7 feet tall in order to fit in buildings etc for storage. That leaves a 3 foot gap underneath and is convenient if you ever use them on a stage and call them low ports in the WSB.

55 minutes ago, Jeff Phillips said:

Another benefit to a 7' high wall made from 2x2's is that you have the ability to leave a vertical 2x2 stub protruding from the top which gives you a convient place to fasten the tops of adjacent walls together,

Yep, zip ties!

What do yall use for feet?  Currently we have old  1" square tubing walls with feet made of plate and piping to slide the wall leg into.  They are heavy. I was thinking smaller square thin wall tubing.  The snow fencing doesnt seem to last that long which is why i was thinking the rolled metal fencing. 

Snow fencing doesn't hold up very long when people get stingy with the zipties and don't use one every six inches or so, in my experience. When they're 2.5-3 feet apart the ties break easily or the window in the snow fence tears

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I bought some pricey plastic fencing that was crowd control or something like that. It is very tough with small 1/2' squares. We stapled with air gun to 2X2 then put a strip of lathe over the edges. Only thing is, if you cut a port in it you have to outline it with some gray or white tape because the port is nearly invisible. :)

Look for videos of the 2014 handgun Nationals in St George UT. They had metal instead of plastic. Those walls are still in good shape this year. While there is problems with wind, seeing people downrange ECT, there is still something appealing to solid walls. It is a lot harder to index on the next target you can't see.

If building a major match take this into consideration when hanging banners that may act as vision barriers. Those banners should be there from beginning to the end of the match.

Truth be told, I much prefer solid walls. I think it is a much more realistic challenge. It also eliminates the whole, " I know you can see the target but really can't see the target", conversation when running around with finger on the trigger.

3 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

Wood or steel framed walls?

I would stay away from metal framing, remember they WILL be getting shot. When they get shot wood is easier to fix. for the snow fence look around there are many types and I have found some heavier stuff at Home Depot that holds up really well.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:16 PM, Sarge said:

Most walls I see are 4X8 rectangles made of 2X2's. They are generally about 7 feet tall in order to fit in buildings etc for storage. That leaves a 3 foot gap underneath and is convenient if you ever use them on a stage and call them low ports in the WSB.

This is how we build walls at our club. We build either 4x8 or 4x4 walls and use yellow web fencing. We will also build in ports as well. They are easy to move and allow us to see everything down range.

We traditionally have used 8w x 6h stockade fence and made diagonal braces from 2 x 4. The walls stack neatly atop our stage trailers and they last for years. We sinly screw two together with long wood screws. Ports are simple, use a circular saw and viola!. They are a bit heavy, but even this old man can carry them. In the last couple years we found a bargain model that is thinner and weighs less.

I personally do not like see through walls, it makes a major change in the challenge as well as making it very difficult to tell if a round passed through the wall.

Yes, you do have to CLEAR a stage.