Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Well, I input the info, they accepted my $$$, waiting to see if I am approved. Hopefully :)

Nice to go a bit earlier, less chance of snow on the way home!

They are saying we'll shoot for 4 days, Thursday-Sunday. Hoping they have added in a Staff day. I need two days down and two days back and I'd like to keep it to 7 days total.

Edited by Jim Norman

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, toothandnail said:

I would love to go but that is WAY too long for a match.

I think this year will be the last time I shoot any3 day matches. 

A 3 day match takes 5-6 days out of the work schedule - can't justify it anymore.

I hear that I'll have 8 days out minimum for a 4 day match. 1000 miles each way!

Registered and paid yesterday.  So I think I'm good.  Are we shooting three days or four?

I thought I read on the FB3G's Facebook page that we can check-in and walk the stages on 11/16 and shoot four stages each on November 17-18-19.  

Has that changed?  

That would add up to 12 stages, I read there are 9 stages. Tying to figure out their matrix. 200 slots? plus sponsors? Staff? or 200 total? how many stages a day? 3? 4? Shoot 4, 4, 1? 3, 3, 3,? There is a lot that goes into the scheduling of a match. Size of Squad, Average turn around on a stage, number of stages? figure 6 minutes to shoot and reset, 10 minutes to walk through and 12 shooters, 82 minutes, that leaves 8 minutes grace if you figured 90 minutes per squad. Then your squad could be 'off' for an hour and a half. I figure 9 stages means 18 squads realistically, unless there is a special shoot it all in one day group. so concentrating on the 3 day flight. 12 shooters and 18 squads gives us 216 shooters and a reasonable match pressure for the staff. 11 shooters makes it much better. Hopefully we'll get the answers sooner rather than later.

On 6/28/2017 at 3:58 PM, Jim Norman said:

That would add up to 12 stages, I read there are 9 stages. Tying to figure out their matrix. 200 slots? plus sponsors? Staff? or 200 total? how many stages a day? 3? 4? Shoot 4, 4, 1? 3, 3, 3,? There is a lot that goes into the scheduling of a match. Size of Squad, Average turn around on a stage, number of stages? figure 6 minutes to shoot and reset, 10 minutes to walk through and 12 shooters, 82 minutes, that leaves 8 minutes grace if you figured 90 minutes per squad. Then your squad could be 'off' for an hour and a half. I figure 9 stages means 18 squads realistically, unless there is a special shoot it all in one day group. so concentrating on the 3 day flight. 12 shooters and 18 squads gives us 216 shooters and a reasonable match pressure for the staff. 11 shooters makes it much better. Hopefully we'll get the answers sooner rather than later.

What's up guys! I haven't been active on the forum for a good while, but came back to check the discussion on FBMG 2017. I know a lot don't "FaceSpace" so here is what has been posted on the match.

"Mark your Calendars! The 2017 Fort Benning Multi-Gun Challenge will be held 16-19 Nov 2017. This year we will guarantee that we will have at least 40 guns on the prize table! Registration and walk-thru will be on the 16th with at least 12 stages on the 17th- 19th.  What stages will the United States Marksmanship Unit build next year?"

They are showing 24 squads on the signup (though squadding is not open yet.) That would be like 2015 where they staggered the squads per stage if they will do 12 stages this year.

40 guns, Grunt Style is doing the Tshirts and XS Sights just sponsored and put some stuff on the prize table. Getting better all the time. I shot it in 2015 and can't WAIT to get back. Should be a blast!

My  error then, last I read was 9 stages. Seemed odd that there were 24 squads, but hey, who's counting? OK, so we need to be onsite on the 16th, we shoot 4 stages each day, one on, one off, with the actual shooting on Fri-Sat and Sun.

9 minutes ago, Jim Norman said:

My  error then, last I read was 9 stages. Seemed odd that there were 24 squads, but hey, who's counting? OK, so we need to be onsite on the 16th, we shoot 4 stages each day, one on, one off, with the actual shooting on Fri-Sat and Sun.

Yeah, the 16th is for registration and walk through. I think they did have registration very early on Friday for those not there Thursday in 2015. Also, we only shot one stage (some squads 2) on Sunday to have time for awards/prizes. They said it'll be on 3 ranges this year, so that will be cool too. I understand they didn't shoot long range last year.

I say all this with the understanding that the "Man" can change any thing at any time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Todd, You will drive to the Krilling Range, and possibly between ranges, although in the past transport has been provided, Occasionally in Strikers. On the Krilling range you will be parked in a lot and will need to hump gear a fair distance. I've brought my cart, and used it! I am not sure this year how it ai all set up. in the past there were 9 stages, this year there are 12 and my understanding is there may be three range complexes in use. I'd bring the cart and a ruck.

One year we were only allowed what ever extra gear would fit in a 50 cal can. Your guns and the like you carried or wore. Extra ammo, cameras, etc, in the can.

The AMU does a really good job of presenting a challenging and fun match. My take on it is, I am in, I am shooting a great match at Fort Benning getting to do things I likely can't do at damned near any other venue. I have already WON!

36 minutes ago, Todd7446 said:

Logistics question since I've never been there before.  Should we plan to bring carts, or do you drive from stage to stage?

In years past you had to park at Krilling and you were bussed to Parks. It was rifle/pistol, so you just carried what you needed on that stage on the bus. Not sure how they'll do it this year. I picked up a cheap sling bag in case we do that again. If they do a staggered squad format again there should be plenty of time between stages to go to your car for the stages on Krilling. All that being said; I'm bringing my cart because it's my woobie?. Also my SG won't fit in a bag.

• 2 weeks later...