Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

f*&cked up 40 brass

Browndawg

34 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

If you load one from a magazine the extractor will usually hold it so it will fire.

This. I have seen one loaded from a mag, and the extractor DID NOT hold it, and the next round fired...not good...it split the barrel...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2017 at 0:35 PM, GrumpyOne said:

This. I have seen one loaded from a mag, and the extractor DID NOT hold it, and the next round fired...not good...it split the barrel...

If the 45 extractor does or does not catch and hold a 40 depends a lot on the model of gun you in which you try this.

Edited by RPatton

• 5 months later...

I donate my time as a range master at our local range and see lots of these types of things. If I saw it happening I would of course stoop it but usually I just find the cases on the ground after the fact.  The 9mm in .40 is very common but I also see the .40 in .45 ACP.  A .44 Mag in a .45 Colt will leave you with a case head and some side wall pieces.  I had a guy come and shoot 50 rds out of a Makarov and when he left I went over to sweep up the brass (slow day) and found he had been shooting regular 9mm in it. Probably lucky it was an all steel surplus Makarov.  The worst ones are when you find rifle cases that have been fired in the wrong chambers and they look like that. .243 in a .308 chamber or a .270 in  a 30-06 chamber is common.  I also had a guy shot a whole box of ammo trying to sight in a borrowed .300 Win Mag and when he asked me about the side ways bullet holes in the paper I checked his gun and ammunition and found he was shooting 7mm Mag ammo out of it. 

Edited by Intel6

If you spend enough time at a public range, sooner or later, you'll see everything!

I'm constantly amazed at just how forgiving firearms can actualy be...

Luckily all the extra space keeps the pressures down to a safe level. It's when you do it with shorter cases with large bullets in larger chambers with smaller bores that the real bad stuff happens.

Oh so many possible combinations, I wished I'd saved them all when I worked at the range. (Pre camera phone days. )

[2333030.jpg

257300.jpg

I have seen 9mm fired from a 40 barrel and we were scratching our heads why the cases were buldging - until the guy figured out he was using his 40 cal glock and had 9mm ammo. I wouldnt be surprised that a 40 can be fired from a 45 barrel as the extractor does often hold the ammo if it came from the magazine.

Seen a 9 through a 40, somehow it didn't crack, just a perfect bell. They loaded it in the middle of a magazine of 40, POP POP POP pop POP POP while everyone looks around wondering what happened. Sure enough, cycled fine.

Not that I would recommend it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Dang...with situations like this I don't feel like an idiot anymore for even checking factory ammo when I get a box.  Any time I get a new box of factory ammo, I still check every headstamp and primer to make sure it is seated right and it is, in fact, the correct caliber that it is supposed to be.  Even factories can screw up.  I don't want something 1.5-2 feet from my face exploding uncontrollably.  No thanks.  Not saying it can never happen, but if I can take every precaution to prevent it, then at least I can say I did my best to prevent it.

I'd crap myself if I saw brass come out that looked like that.

• 4 months later...