Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How far?

HotrodMachinegun

Title pretty much says it, how far have people taken the 92 platform? I shoot uspsa with a guy that runs a mostly stock m9 in production but I've always wondered if anyone has tried to build an open gun with one. What about limited, has anyone ever tried putting a magwell on one? Or just gotten creative with modifications?

I have a 92fs that I put one of the HEC sgs style compensators on mostly because I always loved The Professional but it does work to a degree. It got me wondering why you never seem to see anyone running beretta's at matches except for the rare one or two in production.

I tried to set up a limited gun a while ago with a 96fs. I was able to get mag extensions and an extended mag release, and that's about it. With graham's followers and the Roger Sherman mousetrap extensions I was still only able to get my capacity to 17 rounds reloadable. I think it makes a solid production platform but the magazine capacity is going to be a limiting factor for other divisions. 

A couple of seasons ago I ran an M9A1 in Limited (minor) and 3Gun.  All I did was put in a steel guide rod, mag release, D spring, and magazine extensions. I also hogged out the stock grips and fit in aggressive grip tape.

I think they can work but there are issues

-not as easy to reload as say a Glock

-not a lot of aftermarket

-limited sight choices but with the new square notch rear sight and a fiber optics front from a place like dawson it should be okay

-expensive for desirable models

-stock trigger with d spring is good but not great, maybe the WC action bar makes it more on par with other good triggers

-a high grip can lead to your thumb getting shredded by the safety lever on the slide returning to battery

-slide stop is a little big

There are also various positives like how they run pretty reliably and not needing to worry about spring balance like in Glocks. 

10 hours ago, HotrodMachinegun said:

Was it still a competitive setup for you? I think I may see what I can do with mine and bring it out just for fun. I don't think there's very many good options for an optics mount but I bet I could probably fit something on to it with a little persuasion.

It was competitive (as much as I am), however to make it really shine it needed some things I believe to make it work for me. To do it again, I would use the 92A1 as the base platform so I could easily change out the front sight (rear as well). Perhaps a WC tuned trigger would be nice, for me I was good with it the way it was. The gun flat out ran and was reliable, and in my hands recoiled darn near flat. I am thinking about either getting a WC Brig or a 92A1 and do the mods, so I can run the platform again with those improvements.

• 2 weeks later...

I think there was one guy that made an open Beretta... I think that info is still on the forum.

The capacity limitation really kills it for Limited. 

The shape of the slide kinda makes an optic mount impossible for Carry Optics.

The 92 does well in IDPA/USPSA production, so most people only really run it there... 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...