Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio Stock II - failure to feed [last round only]

reaper1

Hi,

My TF Stock II suffer FTF issue, never had this problem with 7,5g S&B ammo, it started yesterday with 8g S&B - both magazines.

I slightly upgraded my TF, I've changed:

Tanfoglio Xtreme Hammer Spring - Model : Medium

Tanfoglio Xtreme Sear Lever - Model : Regular

Recoil Spring - Model : 56AA - 10 lbs

Tanfoglio Xtreme Firing Pin Spring - Model : Medium

And as mentioned before had no issues on 7,5g rounds.

I went through below topics:

http://forums.brianenos.com/index.php?/topic/237108-getting-discouraged-wnew-stock-ii-failure-to-feed/

http://forums.brianenos.com/index.php?/topic/242395-double-feed-with-weak-recoil-springs-next-round-hitting-feed-ramp/

https://tanfo11.com/gunsmithing.html

This is how it looks like in my TF [the edge which should be chamfered]

Compared to CZ SHADOW [which is chamfered by the factory]

W7Fph0Z.jpg

Tanfoglio itself:

ShSEGIo.jpg

So, just to be clear, I should make this edge to look exactly the same as in my CZ Shadow, shouldn't I?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that's a good guide, yes.

You mean FTF as in failure to feed, correct? You do not mean failure to fire.

(The gun is jamming while feeding the last round, right?)

Are your magazines numbered so you can confirm that it happens with every single mag equally? Step one is always to make sure the malfunction isn't taking place with the same magazine each time. Or happening to several magazines and not with the rest.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

This is exactly how it looks like:

I use factory ammo - with 7,5g S&B had no issues so far, jams started since I tried 8g S&B

Oh, sometimes I only have to touch the slide to make it insert the round into the chamber.

Edited by reaper1

The last round has the least mag spring pressure so the least friction. Logically, it will be easiest to slide foreward.

Polish that  rib mirror bright, add a 1/16" chamfer to that sharp edge, polish the breech face and extractor hook.

95% of your issue should be solved. That last bit will be actual mag issues. They do wear out, get banged, dented, etc. 

Good luck!

The purpose is to stop the sharp  edge from dragging an extra  round foreward causing a failure to feed error.

5 hours ago, reaper1 said:

I'm just wondering...if magazine follower is not getting hit by the bottom of the slide (in my case), what is the point of chamfer that edge?

Guys, thank you all.

I guess no-one knows the answer but how is it possible that high quality gun has such a factory defect (if I may call it this way).

This is the very last thing I'd expect - that brand new, high quality gun, would need to be corrected....

2 hours ago, reaper1 said:

This is the very last thing I'd expect - that brand new, high quality gun, would need to be corrected....

Then I will be interested to hear your reaction when you learn that Tanfoglio went years without being able to machine the chamber properly in $900 guns.

• 2 weeks later...

I was running into the problem of second to last round jamming.

followed johnbu advise and polished the timing block (rib) and put a chamfer on the corner.  So far slidelock every time, all mags.

thanks for the tip

• 8 months later...

Well, during the last competition I had a tons of FTFs :(

So, I decided to chamfer that edged.

This is how it looks like:

vfRDpY5.jpgekIZR3R.jpg

I did not test it yet, but this Saturday I will have opportunity doing another competitions.

PS. I hope I didn't break my gun, this is the best I could do (PICs above :()

Any suggestions?

Edited by reaper1

from this side the angle looks  o.k . but it looks  on  last pic.  that it need better polish - like mirror.

the most important place : meeting between feed ramp and the chamber  must be perfectly rounded  (not too deep- brass need support) and polished.

pic. from side and 45 deg. can be better  choice.

extractor looks o.k.  i don't   see any  broken  edges.

Edited by yigal

6xGtG1k.jpg

1 hour ago, yigal said:

from this side the angle looks  o.k . but it looks  on  last pic.  that it need better polish - like mirror.

the most important place : meeting between feed ramp and the chamber  must be perfectly rounded  (not too deep- brass need support) and polished.

pic. from side and 45 deg. can be better  choice.

extractor looks o.k.  i don't   see any  broken  edges.

Maybe these photos will be helpful: