Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why is is so hard to get people to try USPSA?

obsessiveshooter

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, GrumpyOne said:

Use that to your advantage.  Doing poorly at something you like to do is a sure way to make yourself try to get better.

This is what's got me addicted. Getting beat by folks I see daily is a great motivator.

9 hours ago, 9x45 said:

Perhaps the USPSA/IDPA/Steel Challenge and 3 Gun organization bosses and chiefs should ask themselves the question....

Just playing devil's advocate, but do they?  This goes back to the "Do we really need to grow the sport actively?" question.  Should we go out convincing people who don't care about competing to come play or do we focus efforts on accommodating and keeping current members and anyone already interested enough to actually show up to a match?  

15 hours ago, theWacoKid said:

Just playing devil's advocate, but do they?  This goes back to the "Do we really need to grow the sport actively?" question.  Should we go out convincing people who don't care about competing to come play or do we focus efforts on accommodating and keeping current members and anyone already interested enough to actually show up to a match?  

Of course we should, that's what religions and crossfitters and vegetarians do, why shouldn't.....oh wait a minute.

The elephant in the closet is that we can be a bunch of type A turds that take little things way too seriously, and that turns away a lot of the casual competition shooting crowd. 

I used to tell my friends that shoot steels/bowing pins/trap and etc about the things that people get really upset about in USPSA matches, I'm now indoctrinated and tend to take that stuff in stride & probably am guilty of some of it myself. 

I admit, when I was first asked to try IPSC out, I was hesitant as I was concerned about reloading, costs, equipment, etc.. A buddy of mine invited me to a practice session using his gear and my gun (we both had Berettas at that time, and I only had 2 mags). After that day, I was HOOKED! Maybe that is all it takes, instead of telling them about it and sending them youtube links, ask them to join in. It is incredible how much fun and addicting this sport is, but you do not see that until you actually experience it yourself.

I will say it is very intimidating and I can see how it is amost impossible to get into it without having known someone who is into shooting competitively.  I started shooting competitions about 3-4 years ago and that is only because some friends I made at work shot competitions (steel challenge/knock down steel and some uspsa)got me into it. I shot uspsa for the first time last season and after a taste it is all I want to shoot now. Starting off it is super intimidating and I don't think I would have ever got into it without the friends I had who were regular shooters and who were supportive and would coach me through matches for a while. I wouldn't even consider attending matches without them there. I have recently got a friend into shooting competitions who always wanted to shoot competitively but never had someone introduce him into it. Without someone inviting you to a match its hard to know what to bring or how to take the first step into shooting any kind of shooting competitions. Anyways that's my rant. Happy New Years. Actually I have another friend who saw a post on my instagram and has been pestering me about shooting some kind of shooting competition so I guess it comes down to personality type as well. Some people want to compete some people don't have the desire. *I'm editing this to say if I dived into uspsa first before shooting any other kind of starter competition like steelchallenge/ local knockdown steel matches, I probably would have pooped my pants lol. Stand and shoot is a lot easier to get into as a newb. 

Edited by Shmella

After 30+ years of wedded bliss, my wife is pleased when I drive off to go shoot!

On 12/27/2016 at 9:00 AM, rowdyb said:

all men think they can do three things well. drive a car, please a woman and shoot a gun. why publicly expose your deficiency in one of those areas if you don't have to?

On 12/28/2016 at 11:28 PM, StealthyBlagga said:

At our monthly 3-Gun matches we run a mandatory new shooter orientation for all newbies. We think this calms a lot of "first match" nerves. After completion (about 30 mins) the newbies can shoot the match.

Importantly, we assign an experienced competitor to hold their hands through their first match... help them avoid safety infractions, offer stage planning guidance, debrief after each stage with constructive criticism and positive reinforcement, answer any questions they have etc.

Since starting this "mentoring" program, we have noted a marked uptick in retention. 

Your mentoring strategy is a great idea.   I've only been shooting USPSA for about 6 months but came from competitive shotgun shooting so I had a little awareness of what competing would be like.  I had some folks offer me pointers and everyone was friendly, but that mentor idea makes so much sense.

I started shooting USPSA four months ago.

Wanting to get classified has kept me coming back, scores getting tossed because clubs run the same classifiers as the one down the road is kinda irritating, I'm still not classified, but I pretty well know where I will be, and I want to do better, so I'll be back.

Why I don't try to bring shooter friends.

Time/distance, I have to set an alarm to remind me to get online at X time a week prior to hope I can land a spot. Then an hour minimum to the nearest, most start early and run to mid afternoon so by the time I'm home Saturday is gone.

Cost, I reload, and shooting is my hobby, therefore I can swing it. Most the people I casually shoot with buy, 150-200 rounds for the match alone takes a big bite of their hobby money, very few only have the one.

Human factor, most the people I shoot with do it for fun, or they think they're tactical, and just aren't competitive about it. I'm not a terribly sociable person, but I tend to say hi to people I'm spending a day with, it's rare that 5 squad mates even acknowledge I exist, pointers uh, I've had maybe one or two ROs give me a pointer and maybe two competitors. So my opinion the friendliness of USPSA is a myth, it doesn't bother me but I don't really feel inclined to bring someone else so they can feel like an outcast.

There's a local defensive pistol match good bit closer, little later in the day, and usually just a touch over 100rnds, half the entry fee, 5 stages, a core of helpful/friendly people that set the mood, MD that loves teaching, no preregistration, and usually over by early afternoon, I've taken people there, they've come back when they can swing it, as difficult as that is I don't even bother with trying to get anyone to USPSA, maybe if one of them shows a lot of commitment I would.

Beef, the social aspect goes both ways. Could it be your squad might sense you are "stand offish"? I have made some great friends, and enjoy eshooting with the best friends of my life.

If you are near SW Ohio, I invite you to come to our several clubs. Some of the best people anywhere.

19 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

The elephant in the closet is that we can be a bunch of type A turds that take little things way too seriously, and that turns away a lot of the casual competition shooting crowd. 

I used to tell my friends that shoot steels/bowing pins/trap and etc about the things that people get really upset about in USPSA matches, I'm now indoctrinated and tend to take that stuff in stride & probably am guilty of some of it myself. 

IMHO it's exactly the opposite. The non or slightly competitive types see that it is going to take a lot of work to get better and head for something easier. Sure there are some asses that shoot, but not so many that they overwhelm the good guys.

Ego plays a part, but it is the thought that work, time, and money are required that sends the lazy and uninspired packing. 

8 minutes ago, Brooke said:

IMHO it's exactly the opposite. The non or slightly competitive types see that it is going to take a lot of work to get better and head for something easier. Sure there are some asses that shoot, but not so many that they overwhelm the good guys.

Ego plays a part, but it is the thought that work, time, and money are required that sends the lazy and uninspired packing. 

I think that the good guys are in the large majority also, but they still take things pretty seriously.

A lot of folks just shoot because it is a fun hobby, if you re-read your post, you seem to judge the people who just want to just shoot with their friends and have fun as lesser human beings. That kind of atmosphere , a bit super serious and a bit judgmental is not what a lot of casual shooters are attracted to. 

One other thing to ask though is can the current organization support more members? I know a lot of people (myself included) that were disappointed due to not being able to get in the Area 2 match in 2017 recently. Area 2 includes a combined population of 53.3 million people of CA being 38.8 million alone of which 150 were selected to compete via lottery.

Expensive hobby, time and money.

Nobody likes losing, no matter how cheap.

Gear race is embarrassing to some, frankly I like kicking $5k Limited ass with a Glock 35 when it starts to rain and little dust cover baggies come out and I'm just like Gene Kelly plastic fantastic hoorah.

Uspsa members are intimidating to some, my wife got got dq'ed from her first match for going 91.5 degrees left. Into a cornfield mind you, 0 danger but some ass with a 6" Brazos (cough compensator cough) halts the entire match and starts lecturing her on safety. I've seen FAR worse from experienced club leaders, AD's and flagging. Wife has never shot again...I've begged trust me, she shoots better than I do.

It's complicated, stages don't memorize themselves

It's all about dry fire and practice, I've only put a few thousands rounds through my gun but I've pulled the trigger 10x that. I wager some just want the endolphin rush(another Debbie Reynolds movie)

Uspsa members come to shoot not to train newbies so most shoot. Not a lot of interaction, it's all about how interested the newbie is. They need to seek it out.

Look how many members are on this forum? Is that indicative of the sport? Is there tv? Big money? Sponsors for everyone? Across all the shooting sports only 3gun has a tv spot. It's just not that interesting to some

Just so you guys/gals know, if I were paid $100k a year forever, given 3 guns of my choice, a Dillon 1050 with Mark 7, given one of those fancy jerseys with my name on it, some bullets...I can promise you I'd get 5, you heard me, 5 people to try USPSA and stay around. :-). Happy New Year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Majority1775 said:

Expensive hobby, time and money.
THE ONLY LOGICAL THING YOU SAID.

Gear race is embarrassing to some, frankly I like kicking $5k Limited ass with a Glock 35 when it starts to rain and little dust cover baggies come out and I'm just like Gene Kelly plastic fantastic hoorah.

PURE JEALOUSY

Uspsa members are intimidating to some, my wife got got dq'ed from her first match for going 91.5 degrees left. Into a cornfield mind you, 0 danger but some ass with a 6" Brazos (cough compensator cough) halts the entire match and starts lecturing her on safety. I've seen FAR worse from experienced club leaders, AD's and flagging. Wife has never shot again...I've begged trust me, she shoots better than I do.

I WOULD HAVE DQ'ed HER AS WELL IF SHE BROKE A SAFETY RULE. BEING NEW, A WOMAN, OR A KID IS NOT GOING TO GET YOU A FREE PASS WITH MOST GOOD RO's. 

I wager some just want the endolphin rush(another Debbie Reynolds movie)

HUH?
Uspsa members come to shoot not to train newbies so most shoot. Not a lot of interaction, it's all about how interested the newbie is. They need to seek it out.

BASICALLY THIS IS TRUE BUT ALMOST EVERY SHOOTER I KNOW WILL INTRODUCE THEMSELVES IF THEY SEE A NEW SHOOTER AT A MATCH AND OFFER HELP IF THE NEWBIE 
SEEMS TO WANT IT. THERE IS A LOT OF INTERACTION AT MATCHES I SHOOT. WE HAVE A LOT OF FUN .
Just so you guys/gals know, if I were paid $100k a year forever, given 3 guns of my choice, a Dillon 1050 with Mark 7, given one of those fancy jerseys with my name on it, some bullets...I can promise you I'd get 5, you heard me, 5 people to try USPSA and stay around. :-).

BASED ON THIS POST THAT DOESNT SURPRISE ME. I WOULDN'T WANT TO SHOOT WITH YOU EITHER.       AT ANY GIVEN TIME I HAVE A NEW SHOOTER EMAILING ME ASKING ABOUT LOCAL MATCHES. NOT ALL OF THEM KEEP COMING BACK BUT CERTAINLY MANY MORE THAN 5 HAVE ENDED UP AS ACTIVE USPSA SHOOTERS.

Happy New Year

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2 hours ago, Majority1775 said:

That's how the safety rules are written, if you break them your done for the day. Your welcome to come back tomorrow. That should be the same with every shooting sport. The fact that she didn't point the gun at a person isn't important. She broke the rule, she got dqed. The fact that the RO who was volunteering their time happens to shoot open, and is more invested in the sport than you want to be doesn't change the rules the rules are enforced. 

If you don't like the way they enforce the rules and represent the sport feel free to step up and run shooters. I have never had to fight with anyone to let me run the timer

She accepted it and moved on gracefully, she just never came back. My point with that is "content is just as important as delivery". Coaching might have saved a shooter, making a spectacle of someone is my answer to the op's question. Which is what we're answering? Not whether she should've been dq'ed or whether you'd like to shoot with me.

You guys are over thinking this. The great American pastime is holding down a couch in front of a tv. Very few people are actually passionate about doing anything at all, the percentage of gun owners who shoot guns just reflects that.

2 hours ago, Majority1775 said:

Haha lighten up guy...I have a wonderful time shooting and I've invited and brought 2 people in my 3 matches in uspsa.

Don't take yourself too seriously Sargent Slaughter

So which is it? You can or can't get people to come to matches?

1 hour ago, Kraj said:

That's how the safety rules are written, if you break them your done for the day. Your welcome to come back tomorrow. That should be the same with every shooting sport. The fact that she didn't point the gun at a person isn't important. She broke the rule, she got dqed. The fact that the RO who was volunteering their time happens to shoot open, and is more invested in the sport than you want to be doesn't change the rules the rules are enforced. 

If you don't like the way they enforce the rules and represent the sport feel free to step up and run shooters. I have never had to fight with anyone to let me run the timer

Well put!