Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Springs

Drillbit

Well,  I searched this thread back 6 pages and didn't find the the answer I was looking for.  So..........

What is the general opinion on the Wolf variable recoil spring as compared to the standard?

I'm looking at 11, 12, 13 lb. for 9mm.

5 hours ago, echotango said:

That is all I use in my open gun.  Not sure how they work in a non-compensated gun. 

Agreed . 8# variable in my open guns. Brazos has a good article on them . Seems they are more useful in light slide compensated guns.

Brazos:

Springs

You can do a lot to affect the perceived recoil of your gun by changing the mainspring (hammer spring) and the recoil spring.

Consider that a lighter mainspring does not absorb as much of the recoil stroke and allows the gun to cycle faster. It is also easier to rack the slide and cock the hammer with a lighter mainspring. The stock mainspring is 23 lbs. Although most people use a 19 lb. mainspring, you can go down as low as 17 lbs.  I don’t recommend less than 17lbs. because you may have trouble with light primer strikes.

As far as recoil springs for a limited gun, the range is between 12 lbs and 18 lbs.; for an open gun, it’s between 8 lbs. and 12 lbs.  A lighter recoil spring will hit you harder at the end of the stroke, but will close lighter.  This is generally a better feel for most shooters. Remember, you are trying to get the sights back on the target as the slide closes. The softer it closes, the quicker you will be back on target.

Two types of recoil springs are available: standard and variable rate. Variable rate means the coils are wound different at the back than at the front of the spring. Because the coils are closer together at the front of the spring, it stacks up as the slide comes to the rear and then closes softer. I prefer this type of spring, especially in an open gun.

Thanks everyone for your replies. 

I'm going to use these recoil springs and some different main springs to try and tune a 1911 single stack in 9mm for use in IDPA.  I have a load I like so far and I'm going to try and tune for it.

• 4 months later...

I use the wolf variable spring for my 9mm STI, 40s&w STI, and 45ACP Springfield Armory 1911. They are softer shooting and work really well across calibers. I use 9lb for 9mm and 14lb for 45ACP, and 12lb for 40sw, if I remember correctly.