Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC loads

BrknCylncr

Did some load development this weekend with a 16" AR pattern gun and some bullets I use for pistol.

One of the bullets I loaded is the new SNS Round Nose 135gr red bullet (I don't believe they make a 135 gr Flat Point)  -  American Select at 2.8 gr, 1.130" oal,  = 129pf average/960fps.  Accuracy at 20 yards with this was sub-paster...I put six rounds into a black target paster off bags.  Soft and clean shooting.  It is a keeper load for me. 

A friend is using 147gr xtremes with Nobel-Vectan GM3 at 3.2 gr and getting about 148pf/1010fps.  He is using his pistol loads and will probably start loading down for PCC after he gets some time on the PCC.  

BTW - I found that all of my pistol loads yielded about 20 power factor points higher out of the PCC.  Winchester white box was 160 pf!

• 9 months later...
On 12/10/2016 at 6:08 PM, BrknCylncr said:

I have 3 types of 9mm bullets to try out:

SNS 135 FP

Xtreme 135 FP

Xtreme 147 RN 

I have all the common 9mm proven powders to choose from.

Does anyone have a good load for the CZ Scorpion? 

-

3.0 Autocomp with 147 Bayou comes in at 125PF. I tested 105, 120, 124, 147 and 160. This load gave me the least dot bounce. OAL is 1.160. I use Fiocchi SPP.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody try any 115 grain for PCC? I may it shoot open but just got a cheap PCC built. I have a bunch of 115 and 124 Precison deltas that I use on my 38SC.  I also have autocomp, HS6 that I use. What is recommended for a 115gr in either of these two powders?  Thanks in advance. 

14 hours ago, ar15rick said:

Anybody try any 115 grain for PCC? I may it shoot open but just got a cheap PCC built. I have a bunch of 115 and 124 Precison deltas that I use on my 38SC.  I also have autocomp, HS6 that I use. What is recommended for a 115gr in either of these two powders?  Thanks in advance. 

115g PDs that I have tried. CFE Pistol and Power Pistol, both play well except that Power Pistol is smokey.

Next up for 115g is TG and it will probably work well.

124 PDs I have done TG, N320, Power Pistol, Bullseye. Not surprising, TG did the best, followed closely by N320 then Bullseye.

Just tried 147 PDs with CFE and it did not mix well.

11 hours ago, fedupflyer said:

115g PDs that I have tried. CFE Pistol and Power Pistol, both play well except that Power Pistol is smokey.

124 PDs I have done TG, N320, Power Pistol, Bullseye. Not surprising, TG did the best, followed closely by N320 then Bullseye.

Thank you for that info. 

• 4 weeks later...

I am shooting 135 gr truncated cone blue bullets over 2.7 gr of TiteGroup for 941 fps or 129 PF @1.120”. This is for a AR9 style rifle using a KVP 8.5” long barrel I built for my son.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 10/21/2017 at 11:14 PM, fedupflyer said:

Just curious, why do you say they didn't mix well? My go-to load for PCC and pistol is 3.8gr CFE Pistol with a 147 RN. I've loaded and shot around 5k of these, and think I'll be shooting them through next season unless my 124gr testing goes really well. 

@Banacek I'm not sure what you mean by this being a "strong platform," but a blowback carbine is not something you want to be trying to shoot hotrodded ammo through. You might be able to find a heavier buffer and spring combo that would work, but to just toss a 9major round into a regular AR9 is asking for a case blowout. 

Edited by Xanatos903

On 10/21/2017 at 11:15 AM, Banacek said:

I know that you want the least amount of bounce for competition shooting but has anyone pushed their loads in the 9mm carbine to any extremes since this is a strong platform?

Can't say that I pushed it very much but 6.4 of PP 124jhp @1.120 yields 1400fps out of my PCC.

Edited by wrench459

6 hours ago, SeattleDude said:

I found out that my PCC does not like flat points or JHP. My load for 147gr Xtreme RN Plated is 3.4gr of VV N320 at 1.140 OAL and it makes 140PF out of my JP 16in 9mm Barrel

My favorite load for PCC (16" barrel with Miculek style comp) has been 147 gr Xtreme RN plated bullets over 3.0 gr VV N320 ( 132 PF).   Last week I was doing a little experimenting and found that the same bullet over 3.7 gr N320 with 145 PF had far less dot movement.  Totally unexpected   

Headed to the range in the morning to test some loads with 3.3 gr N320.

46 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

My favorite load for PCC (16" barrel with Miculek style comp) has been 147 gr Xtreme RN plated bullets over 3.0 gr VV N320 ( 132 PF).   Last week I was doing a little experimenting and found that the same bullet over 3.7 gr N320 with 145 PF had far less dot movement.  Totally unexpected   

Headed to the range in the morning to test some loads with 3.3 gr N320.

The higher PF is half of what Max mentioned in an interview (Frontsight May/June 2017) after he won the USPSA nationals in PCC. He said  lighter bullets at higher PF "hugely" outperformed softer loads for better dot performance.

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

The higher PF is half of what Max mentioned in an interview (Frontsight May/June 2017) after he won the USPSA nationals in PCC. He said  lighter bullets at higher PF "hugely" outperformed softer loads for better dot performance.

I missed that,  Need to dig out that issue and give it a read.  Before I head to the range I think I'll load up some 125 coated RN with 3.7 N320 and see what that does.

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

I missed that,  Need to dig out that issue and give it a read.  Before I head to the range I think I'll load up some 125 coated RN with 3.7 N320 and see what that does.

Thanks.

I did notice this. My initial load was 3.8 gr VV320, on a 16" (130ish PF). I was happy with it but decided to push it a bit, I am now at 4.5gr VV320/OAL1.12" (140ish PF). Used it in my last match and I am pleasantly surprised with the dot movement and impulse. I personally felt the higher load tends to recover the dot quicker, while the lighter load felt sluggish. For me, it's the combination of the bolt cycling and the visual feedback that was noticeable. I am in no way at the top of PCC world, it's just a distinct observation that I encountered. YMMV. Thanks..

image.png