Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

p 14 barrery issues

barebones1

p14 stainless  this gun was shooting  / running like a sewing machine. now every couple of rounds it won't go into battery by about 1/4 inch. tap the back and it will shoot a couple more and then same thing. seems to get worse as gun heats up. I have about 10 mags, same issue with different mags. cleaned , buffed , polished still the same. changed the recoil spring still the same. Any input would be appreciated ( note Winchester white box ammo)    where to next ?  link? barrel ?

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 0:05 PM, Steve_53 said:

Extractor?

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 9:14 PM, barebones1 said:

p14 stainless  this gun was shooting  / running like a sewing machine. now every couple of rounds it won't go into battery by about 1/4 inch. tap the back and it will shoot a couple more and then same thing. seems to get worse as gun heats up. I have about 10 mags, same issue with different mags. cleaned , buffed , polished still the same. changed the recoil spring still the same. Any input would be appreciated ( note Winchester white box ammo)    where to next ?  link? barrel ?

barebones1,

I have a P14 also. I had that same problem. I agree with Steve 53, extractor. You need a small pick or pocket screwdriver for this. Next time you shoot and the weapon fails to go into battery. CAREFULLY while pointing the weapon down range take the screwdriver and push the extractor toward the ejection port. The idea is to relieve the extractor tension on the case rim. If the round chambers then you must adjust your extractor. Hope this helps. My Para has been very good to me 80K rounds and counting.

Randy

USPSA TY27966

Para P14-45, NRA Life Member CVD5294,  

I'll bet that your Extractor is too tight.  It's pinching the round on the way into battery.  You may want to buy an extractor tension tool from Brownells.  I bought one but haven't used it yet!  I adjusted the tension on a vise when I was having a similar issue.

Agree with it probably being the extractor.  I had an occasional issue with an STI Eagle and it turns out there was some residue buildup under the extractor that I had not cleaned (cleaning.... something we all dislike but if we do not do it we can get bit on the butt)

Edited by bubbadoc