Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New style STI mags

Will Abrahams

Try squeezing it in a little.
I'm currently testing this right now but didn't have the problem you have but did notice the area being bigger.
I've got my test magazine at .44" at that point and the front of feed lips at .395" and rear feed lips at .385". I can get paper between round and front of mag body on both sides.
IMG_5944.JPGIMG_5948.JPGIMG_5947.JPGIMG_5946.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I got my new .40 S&W Edge, about two months ago, two of the new Gen 2 magazines came with it, and both were sporting + 1 caps.  So far, they have been flawless.

I have not checked the dimensions, but the top round sits perfectly flat against the second round, from the first to the last,  and the top bullet nose always points to the chamber center-line. They are equal to the MBX mags in functionality, but in my opinion are superior because of price.

I bought a half dozen when they first started shipping and thought they looked pretty nice.  But when I assembled them, none of the round count holes were even close to lining up.  I'd rather have no holes at all than have them in the wrong place.  So they all went back.

1 hour ago, Trap said:

I am about to get an STI Edge soon and want to know if I should go with MBX mags or the gen 2 OEMs?

If you get the .40 S&W, like i did, you'll doubtless get two new magazines with it. Check and make sure before you buy.

If so, try them out first. You'll be pleasantly surprised at their performance. 

If you buy from Dawson, tell the salesman a friend of yours got one and both his mags came with the +1 aluminum base pad.

19 hours ago, Trap said:

I am about to get an STI Edge soon and want to know if I should go with MBX mags or the gen 2 OEMs?

I prefer the Gen 2 OEM's to the MBX due to price.  MBX $130. From Dawson 140mm tube $54, basepad $32.5 then add Grams follower and spring from Shooters Connection $19.

• 2 weeks later...

i just got some of the 9mm 140 from the sale. they hold 21 out of the box.  i put on a dawson base pad with the stock guts and it is now 22.  i pulled the gram spring and follower out of my SV 140 and put it in with dawson base pad . with this combo it took 23 barely reloadable.   i cycled dummy rounds through this combo a couple of times and it did not have any issues. same when i swapped the dawson pad with a grams basepad. that held 23 also. 

one thing i noticed is the stock STI follower has tang in front that extend down. i think trimming them down would add one more round to the stock mag .     i am gonna hit the range this weekend and try them out.   

Wouldn't you know it, I brag about the new Gen 2 mags and one quit on me.

No problem though, it was only a spring, and I replaced them all with new Grams springs and followers, and they're running like a German train schedule. ;)

I've been running MBX since I received the prototypes, 3-4 years ago, still running the protos. No spacers, or other gimicks. They still run and run. Received two of the 155's a couple of years ago, same thing. No problems, can't beat MBX mags.

• 2 months later...

Any updates to these?  In general I have not been hearing great things outside of this thread.  I have a few waiting for me that I ordered through the Buy 2 Get 1 promo, but haven't used them yet.  I am planning on making them practice mags, but if there's not high hopes, they'll be dry-fire only.

9mm is always going to need a spacer.  The 1911 action is based on the .45 ACP cartridge, which is 1/8" or so longer than a SAAMI length 9mm or .40 cartridge.  The choices are to either load long or use a spacer or some combination of both.

The new Sti mags I bought do not require a spacer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, GB3 said:

Does anybody know if these new mags fit the gauge with aftermarket basepads? More specifically, 140mm with 4g TTI basepads. 

That was my next question.  What basepad can I add to the 140mm and still be legal.